Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Looks wonderful now should not you have four pieces of salmon or do the young ones split one? enjoy great family..clancey

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
When it rains it pours! My brother in-law had a big old standing dead red oak taken down today so I was over there this afternoon bucking. About 1/3 if the way through the tree my pull start rope snapped after a refuel. Ugh. I'll grab the part tomorrow so I swapped to quartering the big rounds and loaded up the truck with what I had. Got a full pick up load and split it down to size while smoking a chicken.

20210517_182927.jpg

Had my Pirelli and helper mastiff "helping" as only he can do. The wood has about anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch of rot in the sap wood but it's a decent sized 24" so lots of delicious free wood.

390xx3~2.jpg

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
Resized_20210515_154142_3544.jpeg Resized_20210515_154133_117.jpeg I moved another 3 truck loads of locust to the piles is the woods. I have 4 good sized piles of nothing but locust that needs cut and stacked.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Foothills of The Adirondacks
You have a very manageable timber for this time of year. Mine is already wall to wall, chest high undergrowth. No fun for scrounging. Ticks galore as well.
That should be changing here if it hasn't already. The warmer temps have brought out all the bugs so the splitting and stacking will require an Off shower.

I usually would've had most of what I hauled out split and stacked but it's been a busy week doing some other things. I should be starting on the splitting and stacking by this Friday.

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
@JimBear and @heavy hammer , those are some nice btu's you're putting into inventory.
Your beech and maple aren't slouches in BTU. I'm a bit jealous of you guys wooding... I've spent the last 2 days and most of the last month acquiring materials, finish grading for slabs and arguing with subcontractors...

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
Who won the argument?
Which one...? We've mostly been able to eventually work through them so far. Worst is when there is no argument and they just don't show up or forewarn me that another job is taking longer than expected. Project is on schedule at least and I've done well locating vendors who have had "lesser" material increases, so it hasn't gone completely to sh.t...

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I guess the PTO shaft on my stump grinder got bent when the tractor got stuck. Couldn't tell it was bent due to the shield, but once I turned the PTO the shield started dancing around. I also lost the 3/8 spinner anvil, so I can't make any chains today. Not a total loss, picked up the wife's car from the shop and she likes the new summer tires.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
So. It was a bit expensive (and I'm still looking for some old, used deck joists for my floor), but I have a wood shed.

The lens makes it look like it's sagging or not square, but it is straight, and square to within 1/4". 18 foot x 8 foot. Three bays (6*8 floor area) each for one year. 2.6 cord per year.

Now the joy of restacking part of my wood (all but what I plan on using this winter).

Will stain it black soon. Will add some more diagonal braces (from the 2*4s holding my wood now).

No more tarps for me.

Had to wait taking a pic until I had some wood in...

IMG_20210520_175302135.jpg

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
So. It was a bit expensive (and I'm still looking for some old, used deck joists for my floor), but I have a wood shed.

The lens makes it look like it's sagging or not square, but it is straight, and square to within 1/4". 18 foot x 8 foot. Three bays (6*8 floor area) each for one year. 2.6 cord per year.

Now the joy of restacking part of my wood (all but what I plan on using this winter).

Will stain it black soon. Will add some more diagonal braces (from the 2*4s holding my wood now).

No more tarps for me.

Had to wait taking a pic until I had some wood in...

View attachment 278919
Looks great, I'm jealous! This is basically what I intend to build but mine will be longer/more shallow. Debating whether to build a floor or simply a lean-to to cover my stacks.

Regardless I'm waiting until the cost of lumber returns to normal. I'm dying to build but I just can't spent $10 on a 2x4 it's ridiculous.

Looks like 4x4 posts, 2x8 floors? What did you use for the roof?

Last edited:

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Looks great, I'm jealous! This is basically what I intend to build but mine will be longer/more shallow. Debating whether to build a floor or simply a lean-to to cover my stacks.

Regardless I'm waiting until the cost of lumber returns to normal. I'm dying to build but I just can't spent $10 on a 2x4 it's ridiculous.

Are those 4x4 posts? It looks like the 2x8's you used to frame the floor also fit in the deck blocks or am I seeing things. I thought standard deck blocks typically only fit a 4x4 in the center.
Yes, it was a feeling of biting the bullet every now and then. But I was done with the tarps, and my wife was done with the stacks in various places...

I did put in a floor to keep things off the ground. Those concrete deck blocks are on 18"*18" concrete pavers. I have to see how much it will sag (sandy soil). Floor joists are treated (as are the poles). Rest is not. Shingles on the roof. 1.5' overhang in front, 1' in the back and sides.

I may add some slatted boards on the left side as that is the prevailing wind (rain blow in) direction, but I'll first see if it gets wet. If not I'll better not partially obstruct the wind.

The wife was already proposing to make one bay closed in (walls, closed floor, window, light...) to make a "she-shed". I learned a word there... I told her that that could be okay if she was ok with 2 winters warm and one cold ...

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Did you toe nail the 2x8 floor framing to the posts at each union?

Lol a she said she shed. Just build her one next to it!

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
I used (Simpson) corner brackets rather than toenailing.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
I used (Simpson) corner brackets rather than toenailing.
Another way would be to buy longer ones and lay them in front of the posts over the blocks (and simply nail them in the posts). I did not like me that as it creates a wood on wood wet contact area.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Another way would be to buy longer ones and lay them in front of the posts over the blocks (and simply nail them in the posts). I did not like me that as it creates a wood on wood wet contact area.
Yeah you could do that. I'd probably use lag bolts if I were to do it that way though for more strength but that puts the entire weight of the floor onto that joint. I think putting it in the deck blocks makes much more sense.

I'm likely going to build the lean-to structure myself. So, exactly what you did, but then if I decide to add the floors I'll bolt in the framing later like we just discussed. My yard isn't level so the back frame will be higher up the posts. I have 9 cords back there now that I don't want to re-stack lol.

Last edited:

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Did you toe nail the 2x8 floor framing to the posts at each union?

Lol a she said she shed. Just build her one next to it!
I told her that the next time my wood stacks shed was full and my driveway too, I'd build another one. She started calling the addiction help line. So I don't think I'll be building anything else next to it in the near future. If I do, it'll get filled with wood, and she knows it :p

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I had one full row 14ft x7ft high of dry splits sitting in the wood shed that fell over yesterday evening, hit the company truck when it came over, guess I'm restacking and configuring this weekend. But its Friday night and almost 5 o'clock... you know what that means A850409F-3AD7-4065-BC94-2AB9326428A3.jpeg 86FA487D-2F6F-4DD1-9F86-83720DF6DF39.jpeg

Last edited:

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
Just about finished harvesting the giant oak tree from the brother in-laws today. I split and stacked the first two pick up loads this week and here are the final two. I told the kids to look at the camera and this is what I got ;lol. Tomorrow is a mowing the lawn, splitting, stacking, and drinking day!

View attachment 278934
It appears that you need to put a saddle on that horse so the kids can ride it around.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I just broke one of my 72dl saw chain loops into a 60dl section of saw chain. When I went to grab my bag of assumed pre-sets and tie straps, turns out its just a bag of pre-sets... I ordered a bag of 25 from amazon, should last the rest of my life, but I'm going to call the local husky dealer and see if they have a few I could pick up tomorrow. Called Agri Supply today to order a new PTO shaft. There were no "economy" shafts available, so $290 later and I should be seeing a new Euro Cardan PTO shaft showing up in a week or so.

After posting this I got an email saying the PTO shaft is leaving today from Selma NC. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up leaving the warehouse until Monday since it is late on a Friday.