Work Done in 2021

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Nice work! The poplar might be ready by the fall if loosely stacked. But I am sure you have other supplies that are burn ready. Either way, nice to be ahead.
Oh yea poplar will be ready this year for sure with good sun/wind exposure. I love it for shoulder season. Ive had good luck getting cherry, soft maple, and standing dead ash ready in one summer too just top covered. I'm willing to bet pine would also be fine but I've never tried since I live in such a dense hardwood climate.

Id use more poplar if I had it to save my maple but soft maple makes great should season wood too. Its my most abundant wood (I can see 30+ soft maple out my wind now!) so I use it year round but it excels in shorter burn situations. I mix it with my oak/ash when it gets cold to get more out of it.

If I could only have one log and it was a choice between poplar and a hardwood I'd obviously take the hardwood but I never say no to free poplar! Hmm, or any wood for that matter except pine. Because I'm an addict. ;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarguy3500

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Foothills of The Adirondacks
I started late today but another load of Beech made it to the new splitting area. I was able to get another four or so bigger rounds and then fell the smaller Beech that was next to or growing out of the damaged Beech.

I also noticed a dead Beech that is next to another smaller Beech that has some bark damage to it, I'll grab both those and a few more on another day.

Attachments

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Nice work! The poplar might be ready by the fall if loosely stacked. But I am sure you have other supplies that are burn ready. Either way, nice to be ahead.
Ya i don't need any of this wood for next year. All of this wood in the pics i've been posting is for year 3+ :)

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Your beech trees looks great! Mine will grow to about 10” across and then the beech blight hits them! Dead within two years after that.

Reactions: thewoodlands

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
Cut & split some pine today to give the excavator more room to work around the new cabin foundation for backfilling. Wishing I had kept the logs over 8' and had a sawmill out last year.... Foundation is in and partially insulated. Hobo packet on some coals. Going to fish from the pier after dinner.
20210504_181817.jpg

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Your beech trees looks great! Mine will grow to about 10” across and then the beech blight hits them! Dead within two years after that.
The disease hits them here too, I'm starting to take some before they get it and some hills need thinning so the younger trees can grow.

I've never taken many Beech trees since we bought the lot (end of 2006) but there are a bunch in the area I'm working so I'm looking for 2 or 3 face cord.

I'm sure some are producing nuts which the deer eat so those will stay vertical until mother nature takes them.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I felled three more Beech today, two loads came home with some still up in the woods.

I also brought the shovel with me and dug up some leeks, a nice bag for my neighbor and a smaller bag for us so the wife can make potato leek soup.

Attachments

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I felled three more Beech today, two loads came home with some still up in the woods.

I also brought the shovel with me and dug up some leeks, a nice bag for my neighbor and a smaller bag for us so the wife can make potato leek soup.
Do you have wild leeks growing in your forest?

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Do you have wild leeks growing in your forest?
An older thread.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I would love to propagate some wild leeks on my property. If I had enough leeks I would put them in everything.

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
I wonder if that's what I ran over down in our valley with the ATV that smelled like onion...? Big, wide green leaves that almost looked like tulip greens?

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I have bunch of that as well. Good to know (thank you). Apparently I have wild garlic too but have not found any yet.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I took another Beech that was rotting at the base and on the second load I hauled out, I added some damaged Maple. I'm hoping that I can add two more Beech and more damaged Maple and start spitting & stacking.

Attachments

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I felled another damaged Beech and Maple today and then bucked up more rounds off the Maple that was felled yesterday.

Pictures 1805 through 1808 are the Beech, 1809 through 1817 is the damaged Maple I felled today.

Attachments

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
This Beech had some rot setting in so I felled it today and brought out two loads.

Attachments

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I brought home another three loads of Beech, the first load I bucked up is what was left in picture 1830 and then added some limb wood (not pictured) the second load was from a rotting Beech in pictures 1833 - 1835 and the last load was a dead Beech in pictures 1837 - 1842.

Attachments

clancey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Its nice to have you people clean out the dead trees and fallen branches and stuff and make it a renewable project instead of becoming a fire hazard. But this sure involves a lot of work for I looked up all the equipment that is needed just to make the job of cutting wood easier and so much stuff needed and a lot of it is a puzzle to me on how to use it...My references was Northern Tool and Equipment book. You work hard but do have some nice days as well in beautiful places and you can gather you thoughts. Today I was in the mist of checking out wood prices in the city here for it to be delivered--wow---just for 1/4 of a cord of mixed wood is (sit down now)..extending from : 140.00--to 190.00 cut under 18 inches if I request this otherwise longer. Now once I get this wood do I have to split it or should I request that too? Always enjoy the pictures on this thread and I pretend I am in the woods...lol clancey

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Finished stacking the uglies today. I am officially done my wood, and am off to shoulder surgery tomorrow. You fellas play safe and enjoy your time in the woods :)

Melissa

1620689118838.png

1620689143013.png

clancey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Best wishes with the shoulder surgery..I broke my shoulder about two years ago and its no fun...Hope you have a real good support system of family and friends and you will do just fine with rehabilitation. So sorry you need to go through with this...sympathy given and get well and hoping you are moving around with it real soon..----don't overdue it now..Best wishes and God speed you get well..clancey

Solarguy3500

Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
Finished stacking the uglies today. I am officially done my wood, and am off to shoulder surgery tomorrow. You fellas play safe and enjoy your time in the woods :)

Melissa

View attachment 278667

View attachment 278668
That's a beautiful sight! Those stacks look great!

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: JimBear