Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
@MissMac you might want one of these things for winter

Reactions: MissMac

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
@MissMac you might want one of these things for winter
Haha, that's awesome! I already have a little tote bag, but that contraption looks like I could whack 2 birds with one stone LOL

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
Ended up getting a few more truck loads of ash this week. Kennyp2339, I hear you on the long days 2 week ago was 16's with storms all that week. Then one of our transmission lines burned a pole down. Then a tree down on a line Friday night, another one triped off Sat morning. Today is the first day I have had off in a while trying to get caught up on mowing and things around the house.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Foothills of The Adirondacks
I did some trail clearing with the loppers and on the way back, I picked up a load of rounds, Ash and Maple. I'm hoping that with the Norway Maple, the rounds back in the area we call the sandpit and the rounds I brought back today, we'll have another face cord.

The ferns are starting to turn brown and more leaves are falling, can't wait until fall and the cooler weather.

104_2137.JPG 104_2138.JPG

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Well, the big accomplishment here is that I got the porch stripped down and painted. On the wood front, I woke up the splitter yesterday now that it is starting to cool down. We have about a cord of wood to split up that I want to get stacked. It is bone dry and if I don't get to it the ants will. After that, the splitter will be up for sale I suspect.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Well, the big accomplishment here is that I got the porch stripped down and painted. On the wood front, I woke up the splitter yesterday now that it is starting to cool down. We have about a cord of wood to split up that I want to get stacked. It is bone dry and if I don't get to it the ants will. After that, the splitter will be up for sale I suspect.
I did the back rails, not very much painting and the front porch painting ( much more scaping and painting) last year (I'm glad that is done) but it looks so much better, I'm sure yours will too.

Do you have any rain in your forecast?

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
After taking the wife for a ride, I picked up the rest of the rounds on the ridge and brought them home to split and stack. After splitting and stacking three loads, I was soaked so I came inside in the a/c.

I still haven't touched what rounds are left back in the sandpit so I'll use those too finish this face cord which will give us 56 going into the fall before I start on more Ash.

104_2139.JPG 104_2140.JPG 104_2141.JPG 104_2142.JPG

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I love your little truck and cart--so cute...you have plenty of wood and work to do..good for you and a smart person as well to get ready for our next season..Yes..clancey

Solarguy3500

Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
I've mentioned in some previous posts about how the utility has been doing a lot of cutting along the roads in my town this summer. I posted about how I flagged down a log truck and got a couple loads of logs.

There is actually more than one tree company cutting in different parts of town. Today, I was driving past the local ski area and one of the tree companies is using the parking lot as a staging area. I saw a bunch of trucks and some guys standing there talking, so I pulled in and asked if they would be sending a log truck around to get the logs like the other tree company did a few weeks ago. He said yes and took my number and address and said they would bring me some more logs.

This is so much easier than going out and scrounging it with my pickup truck. I am likely going to get several years worth of wood this summer. It's going to be a lot of processing, but I just ordered a splitter, so that should help. Luckily my wife is ok with several big log piles in the yard because she understands the value of this much free wood.

I'll post again when the next log truck shows up, probably in a couple weeks.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I've mentioned in some previous posts about how the utility has been doing a lot of cutting along the roads in my town this summer. I posted about how I flagged down a log truck and got a couple loads of logs.

There is actually more than one tree company cutting in different parts of town. Today, I was driving past the local ski area and one of the tree companies is using the parking lot as a staging area. I saw a bunch of trucks and some guys standing there talking, so I pulled in and asked if they would be sending a log truck around to get the logs like the other tree company did a few weeks ago. He said yes and took my number and address and said they would bring me some more logs.

This is so much easier than going out and scrounging it with my pickup truck. I am likely going to get several years worth of wood this summer. It's going to be a lot of processing, but I just ordered a splitter, so that should help. Luckily my wife is ok with several big log piles in the yard because she understands the value of this much free wood.

I'll post again when the next log truck shows up, probably in a couple weeks.
That's always nice, looking forward to the pictures of you bucking up the logs and splitting with your new splitter.

BCC_Burner

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2013
Uptown Marble, CO
Split and in the shed. That was a lot of wood to process solo. Still more to do, but at least the shed is full and the rest of the wood is down by the splitter and not in the backyard. The shed holds just a bit under 3 cords.

IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0125.jpg

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
That's a beautiful little shed and you sure do stack well too--3 cords --would have never thought it would hold that much.. The first week of Sept I am getting a 1/2 cord of mixed wood for storage and I sure hope I can stack it as good as you..I think my shed needs maybe more of a overhang on the roof and I am thinking of having another extension put on the sides and front as well as painting the roof a dark color to attract the sun to absorb more heat...Just an idea and what do you all think of this idea of mine.? Has anyone heard from our old caw and the kids lately? Is he and his family okay for he has been very quiet and i miss his pretty pictures. clancey

work done today 007.JPG

Last edited:

Sailrmike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2017
That's a beautiful little shed and you sure do stack well too--3 cords --would have never thought it would hold that much.. The first week of Sept I am getting a 1/2 cord of mixed wood for storage and I sure hope I can stack it as good as you..I think my shed needs maybe more of a overhang on the roof and I am thinking of having another extension put on the sides and front as well as painting the roof a dark color to attract the sun to absorb more heat...Just an idea and what do you all think of this idea of mine.? Has anyone heard from our old caw and the kids lately? Is he and his family okay for he has been very quiet and i miss his pretty pictures. clancey

View attachment 281331
I like your idea of expanding the roof, maybe another 12" on all sides would keep a lot more rain out. Painted black would look sharp and help seasoning time, I'd be tempted to paint it black on all exposed structure, inside and out

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
My second load of Ironwood came from up top, one top that was left from the spring gave us more rounds while the pine sat in the tree and watched.

I found more Ironwood that was down not far from the top which filled up the tub, I'll split some of the bigger rounds and get it stacked before the end of next week.

We should have another face cord from everything back near the sandpit, we have more rounds of Beech, Maple, Ash and Ironwood.

104_2152.JPG 104_2153.JPG 104_2154.JPG 104_2155.JPG 104_2156.JPG 104_2157.JPG 104_2159.JPG 104_2160.JPG 104_2161.JPG 104_2164.JPG

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
What beautiful pictures and such pretty deer and such beautiful job of cutting wood good wood people..my goodness wa wa what beautiful wood piles you have--wonderful and get ready for this cold cold weather--wonderful and beautiful and neat too.. Now sailormike I am going to do just that and my carpenter will be back here on next month 8 and 9th before he leaves town again..I am having work done getting ready for this winter too--ugh--hard work but worth it...Hope the news gets better..My carpenter has a large motor home--beautiful it is and he brings it over here and parks out front of my house..I have people next door--okay neighbors but I have to actually go over their and ask them for permission to leave my parking spaces out front vacant--this gets old but okay..I call them the tent people now because they put up a huge black tent up to their roof in the back yard next store and it is black maybe that will make it even hotter--just saying...lol...Don't dare ask me what is in the tent? lol You woods people are blessed and around nature and all its beauty so every time your out there meditate on your "bad ways"--lol Enjoying your thread and all the beautiful pictures..clancey

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
I stacked another face cord today, most of it is Ironwood with some Maple splits and rounds to finish it off.

I also finished off a face cord nearby which gives us 57 face cord going into the fall felling. We have room for another 8 to 10 face cord if needed. Since EAB is in our county, I'll fell more Ash.

104_2165.JPG 104_2166.JPG 104_2167.JPG 104_2168.JPG 104_2169.JPG 104_2170.JPG

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
The pile is growing. This is all one oak tree with a little locust in there somewhere. Nice winter project. Will be my 26-27 supply.
20210904_083553.jpg

Solarguy3500

Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
Over the last few weeks, I've made some progress bucking the first pile of logs I got from the tree company earlier this summer.
IMG_20210912_100832.jpg
IMG_20210912_100814.jpg
Got it almost all cut into rounds except for the bottom row of logs, many of which are quite large diameter.
IMG_20210912_100844.jpg

I'm seriously considering getting a chainsaw mill and milling the biggest logs. I've got one sugar maple log that's about 29" in diameter that I bet I could get some really nice slabs out of.

My splitter is on its way, so when it arrives I'll get started on splitting the pile of rounds.

Solarguy3500

Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
Ok, time for a little fun.

A few weeks ago, I split some oak rounds I had gotten earlier this summer. As I was splitting, I just haphazardly stacked the splits temporarily next to where I was working, knowing I'll need to move the wood to it's permanent location stacked in one of my pallet woodsheds. When I stepped back and looked at the crooked, leaning pile, I thought this is a good opportunity for some fun. I know the stack is going to fall over, but the question is when? Here it is right after I stacked it:
IMG_20210912_155859.jpg
IMG_20210912_155905.jpg
Here it is today. I swear it has shifted already, but could be just a different angle of the picture:
IMG_20210916_182848.jpg

So, now the fun part. Anybody want to venture a guess as to when it will fall? One of my kids says Wednesday, my other kid says Thursday, I'm guessing Sunday, and my wife says two weeks from now in a bold prediction. Any other guesses?

Also, an update on the splitter I ordered. It got lost in transit last week and I've talked to the shipping company a couple times, with today being the most recent conversation. Turns out it showed up finally at the terminal near me, but it's completely destroyed. They said there wasn't even a crate left, just a pile of broken pieces. So, it'll be a little longer while a new one gets shipped from Missouri.

Sawset

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
If and when the moisture content goes down and the wood shrinks, since you've jinxed the process right off, the piles will straighten themselves and stay upright forever.