Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your all putting me to shame again of course. We’re dropping a lot of airrigation so I prepped the front pad for that and seeding to follow. Also burnt 6-8 loads of weeds.
BFFB8269-76CF-4994-B3A7-0A2C23ACB833.jpeg
04AAA9AD-23C9-4234-93A3-171E237EDB1F.jpeg
50B84626-38F7-4E6F-B26E-EDFA7D67E0DB.jpeg

Loads 11 & 12 today. Four good looking cords home now, hopefully two more to go.

1614992328529.png

1614992358570.png

On the way out cleaning up our mess at work the guy in the big cat excavator knocked down another locust so I figured might as well cut it up and get it out of the way. Six truck loads of locust this past week.

Nice score JimBear. Looks like a good day to be in the woods!

Reactions: JimBear
We still have about a foot of glacier here, some shady spots a little more, some sun areas a little less, but the snow isnt snow, its thick pack ice that is hard to even walk on, this week is suppose to be in the 50's from Tuesday thru Saturday, hopefully we lose the snow pack, the yard will be inaccessible due to being to wet, but I sure can start working on some dying ash tree's on the perimeter, I have about 14 ash tree's that are +50ft that need to be cut down, there's prob close to 10 cords of wood in them, also the way there are situated, they all can be dropped by a simple notch, plunge cut and then back cut which makes life easy, I'm half tempted to lay all the limbs in a line and rent a chipper for the day to chip everything smaller then 3" rather then cut everything and burn all the brush in the fire pit.
I'll take some pics ahead of time, and during the cutting to show progresses and my ugly mugshot

Nice score JimBear. Looks like a good day to be in the woods!

It was 24* at 6:00am when I went out & starting cleaning around the splitting area & getting ready for the days festivities but it warmed up quickly. I think it topped out around 68 with very little wind. There was only one other person cutting at the lake but lots of walkers & folks driving around. Today is supposed to be about 68 also but with SW winds around 15-20mph, it should dry things down pretty well.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Loads 11 & 12 today. Four good looking cords home now, hopefully two more to go.

View attachment 275876

View attachment 275877
hahah - i just realized i double-posted the same pic! here is the actual load 11:
1615123052153.png

Although i wanted to push for 6 cords home right away, I have decided to stop hauling for now and switch to processing. My shoulders and back are starting to tell me to take a hike, and I want to have enough jam in me to get this stuff stacked and drying hopefully by April 1. Once I get through it all, I will re-evaluate and start brining a bit more home, although I will probably buck it as it's coming off the truck to skip some of the extra handling.

1615156590851.png

1615156675021.png

1615156616247.png

1615156642147.png

1615156735274.png

Here's my 4 cords all lined up in the sun ready to be bucked. Bucking this week. Sure feels good to have this nice stack of ash at home lined up before April. Life is good when I'm playing around with my fire wood :)

Attachments

• 1615156712774.png
    1615156712774.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
Cut up some apple trees today down at the edge of my woods. When we bought the house in spring of 2019, it failed the Title 5 and the previous owner was scrambling to get the new septic system installed before the closing. There were a few old apple trees in the area where the leach field was going so they grabbed them and uprooted them with the excavator and left them in the old log pile the previous owner had at the edge of the woods. I had meant to cut them up sooner, but had too many other projects going on.

I've been going stir crazy the last month plus with all the snow, and I just had to get out there and work on some firewood today.
IMG_20210307_133024.jpg

The landscapes out west are always so interesting to see. The sky is so big! You just don't see big open spaces like that here.

Yeah you can see for miles, it was a bit of a shock first time I was on other side and couldn’t see lol, but I do like the east coast as well. When I get off I’ll send you some nice little treasures people seem to think don’t exist out west/in the sage prairie...

Reactions: heavy hammer
I've noticed folks that get log length wood tend to find bucking the easiest part of wood processing. To me the easiest part is felling the tree, everything else is hard work after that. I am working on clearing about an acre of small trees, lots of limbing and more limbing to do!

Yikes it's the total opposite for me! Felling the tree is the scariest part. Anything can happen with a chainsaw but I'm much more relaxed when bucking. Less worried about being squished!