Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Made some more sawdust today. I've got the mill pretty well calibrated. Everything is within 1/16" in most cases, some stuff is more like 1/8" off, but pretty good for a chainsaw mill I say. Logosol doesn't tell you that it's extremely difficult to set up the full six meter mill in the woods with three lifters/legs. I've got it on two lifters set to four meters and that was much easier to calibrate. At some point I'll have a nice graded place to put it and have all six meters set up all the time. The closest I got with all three lifters was within 3/8", and that's just not close enough for me. When I have a planer and jointer I'll be a little less of a perfectionist on mill setup.
The more precise you are at every step, the better the outcome. Error propagation sucks! Get 'er dialed in and let the dust fly.

Cheers!

The more precise you are at every step, the better the outcome. Error propagation sucks! Get 'er dialed in and let the dust fly.

Cheers!

I fussed over the mill some more today, in between cuts at times, and it is a bit better. Every time I adjust the rail in one place, it needs attention in another place. It feels like aligning a car with three steer axles.

Resized_20210725_191726_9822.jpegResized_20210725_191711_6322.jpegResized_20210725_181526_196.jpeg
I was able to get a few pics this weekend. The stacking area is almost full a few more tractor loads to get it done. It has been a hot summer so the labs have been swimming a lot. It's to hot to run them. I have been clearing around the pond here and there, it is pretty over grown. I'm just about done getting it cleaned up I wish it was on my property but the neighbor is very friendly and lets me use it and maintain it.

A couple of my implements have cat 2 top link connections, but my tractor is all cat 1. Are there bushings I can get to reduce the hole size on the top link connection? Would I be better off getting a cat 2 end piece for my top link? This really just applies to my stump grinder and skidding winch.

A couple of my implements have cat 2 top link connections, but my tractor is all cat 1. Are there bushings I can get to reduce the hole size on the top link connection? Would I be better off getting a cat 2 end piece for my top link? This really just applies to my stump grinder and skidding winch.
Counterpoint: does the bit of slack in a cat 2 implement really matter? I mean, it's less than 1/8" I'd imagine. ???

Reactions: JimBear
Counterpoint: does the bit of slack in a cat 2 implement really matter? I mean, it's less than 1/8" I'd imagine. ???

My tractor dealer says no, it does not matter. Sometimes when I go over bumps the 1/4" of slop is noticeable when the stump grinder jumps.

Reactions: JimBear
I got a nice load of red oak today.
IMG_20210731_174850.jpg

The utility has been doing a lot of cutting in my town this summer and this is only a few miles from my house. A lot of nice firewood for the taking, mostly oak, some maple, some birch, beech, etc.
IMG_20210731_162203.jpg
IMG_20210731_162207.jpg
IMG_20210731_162214.jpg

I'll probably go back tomorrow for some more if I have time.

After spending about three days about 4 miles south of Old Forge NY at my nephew's camp, when we came home it was time to check the rest of the trails up top and limb up this Pine that the wind took down. I took four loads of branches over to the fireplace, hopefully we don't get the high winds again tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure picture 2038 is Steve Wynn's place if what my sister said is correct. We rented a pontoon boat and took a long ride on first, second, third and fourth lakes.

We went by this place when we were on the pontoon boat on Wednesday, nothing left to the place.
See home in Old Forge area demolished by massive explosion (photos)

Attachments

• 104_2055.JPG
    104_2055.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 104_2056.JPG
    104_2056.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 104_2057.JPG
    104_2057.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 104_2058.JPG
    104_2058.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 104_2059.JPG
    104_2059.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 104_2060.JPG
    104_2060.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 93
Bought a brush blade for my weed whacker, got a couple hours use out of it yesterday before the rain came. I'm fairly impressed with its performance. Very wet year here, lots and lots of thick undergrowth, a mix of vines, creepers, thorn bushes and thistle, all crap that is just to much for just string to handle. I made a fairly good dent, and reclaiming the sides of my yard.

Bought a brush blade for my weed whacker, got a couple hours use out of it yesterday before the rain came. I'm fairly impressed with its performance. Very wet year here, lots and lots of thick undergrowth, a mix of vines, creepers, thorn bushes and thistle, all crap that is just to much for just string to handle. I made a fairly good dent, and reclaiming the sides of my yard.
I like the carbide tipped saw blade brush blades. I have the flex shaft still kombi much less vibration when sawing sapling than the 4 eared brush blade that kinda beat it’s way through them.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I mentioned in a previous post that the utility has been doing a lot of cutting in my town this summer for the power lines. They (tree service contracted by utility) had come up my street a few weeks ago and cut a lot of trees and left the logs on the side of the road for a while, but now they are sending a log truck to pick up what me and other firewood scroungers haven't gotten to yet.

This morning when I was having my coffee, I noticed the log truck just down the street from my driveway, and I took a walk out there and asked them what they were doing with the wood? The guy said they were giving it away to homeowners in the area, and asked me if I wanted some? He didn't have to ask more than once.:)

They went up the street and got some more logs, then came back and dropped off load number 1.
IMG_20210802_095022.jpg
IMG_20210802_115237.jpgIMG_20210802_115306.jpg

Nice load of hard maple, with a couple bigger logs. Biggest is 29". He said he's going to bring me another load from another area in town. Best part was the price. Free!

I mentioned in a previous post that the utility has been doing a lot of cutting in my town this summer for the power lines.
I got 7 of those trucks at the end of last winter, total cords after cutting and splitting was about 12 cords

I split and stacked a face cord of Beech from my spring felling, I still have some Beech rounds left with more rounds of Ash, Yellow Birch and Cherry in the back gully, hopefully I can get another two face cord from that which will give us 54 face cord of hardwood before the fall felling starts.

I think that we have room for another 15 face cord, if I can fill half of that, I'll be happy.

Attachments

• 104_2061.JPG
    104_2061.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 104_2062.JPG
    104_2062.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 104_2063.JPG
    104_2063.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 104_2064.JPG
    104_2064.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 104_2065.JPG
    104_2065.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 104_2071.JPG
    104_2071.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 104_2072.JPG
    104_2072.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 104_2073.JPG
    104_2073.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 78
One of the nests in my chicken coop started to hatch, so this week is starting nicely.
I'm up to nine chicks under one hen. Three eggs were duds, two of them not fertilized. There is also another hen sitting on eggs, so I'm hoping for similar results this weekend. My incubator also has a handful of eggs, one started pipping.

Load #2 today from the tree company.
IMG_20210803_182054.jpg
The log truck showed up around noon and added to the pile from yesterday, and since he had so much wood and didn't want to pile it too high he made another pile along the driveway closer to the road.
IMG_20210803_182127.jpg
IMG_20210803_182137.jpg

Mostly oak in this load. Some beech, ash, black birch, maple, cherry, etc.

Getting this wood was the easy part. Now my work really starts processing it. My wife said to me today. "Well, I guess we better get you a splitter now." I did not argue with her on that. :)

Got a chance to count the natural born hatchlings this morning. Looks like nine healthy chicks out of a dozen eggs. Two of those dozen hadn't been fertilized and one died early in the incubation. Looks like at least four pullets, which is nice because we lost three this year and most of my hatches have been cockerel heavy so far. The second nest should be hatching this weekend. My incubator has five eggs (there were several more but eight ended up not being fertilized and three had bacterial infections), one has hatched and three others are pipping. Hoping number five pips as well, but there is still time before I have to call it. If the second nest in the coop has a nice hatch rate we will hit 40 chicks born here on our tiny farm this year. This winter I'd like to add rex rabbits and maybe even jumbo coturnix quail.

Load #2 today from the tree company.
View attachment 280654
The log truck showed up around noon and added to the pile from yesterday, and since he had so much wood and didn't want to pile it too high he made another pile along the driveway closer to the road.
View attachment 280655
View attachment 280656

Mostly oak in this load. Some beech, ash, black birch, maple, cherry, etc.

Getting this wood was the easy part. Now my work really starts processing it. My wife said to me today. "Well, I guess we better get you a splitter now." I did not argue with her on that. :)
What a score! Posts like these make me shake my head in awe. Lucky man!

MM--you really scored and that's wonderful...Did you ever notice in life to where you are somewhat disabled at the moment that you get plenty of work to do when you at your hardest to keep up with it because of your shoulder operation...One thing about it --you are moving it a little and this is great for a little exercise , but just do not overdue it.. Glad your doing well and my what big pieces of wood you have and this is good...Now take a hot bath and soak your arm in epson salts with nice warm water. lol You take it easy now but you sure made a good wood score just by talking...lol lol mrs clancey
Edit : I thought it was mm who got all those big pieces of trees and was worried with all the work that involved for you but I look back and that wood belongs to solarguy and good for him...Nice big pieces....mm- glad you got that piece out of the tree trunk and that's enough of work for you...lol Go easy with the shoulder...clancey

Last edited:
Mixed news today. Last night one of my ten week old pullets was snatched by an owl, only a few drops of blood and some down remain. On the bright side all five of the incubator eggs hatched. We should come out ahead this year even with losing four layers and one young rooster. My goal is to breed enough chickens to consume a dozen+ eggs a day (my dogs have four a day usually) and eat chicken meat three days a week. Next year we might get there. Eventually I'd like to eat rabbit three days and save the last day for eating out or having beef or mutton.

From a few houses down the street. Laurel live oak. It sat there more than a week and the city would not pick up as they have a 6” diameter and 50 # limit. Neighborhood beatification and a warm couple weeks. Win win.

Evan

Attachments

• 84D2FAE5-09FD-4999-91D5-6720514B0AC2.jpeg
    84D2FAE5-09FD-4999-91D5-6720514B0AC2.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 79
When I was loading up the trailer with the last load of Yellow Birch, I noticed this Maple that mother nature put down up the hill. I'll see what type of Maple it is before the end of August.

I'm not sure I can get the Rhino in that area, we'll see if it's worth the effort.

Attachments

• 104_2083.JPG
    104_2083.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 78