Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like the battery life is pretty stout. Does it feel heavy with the battery?

Full disclosure, the 540i is the only saw I've ever owned, and my previous experience running one was with a Stihl MS361 that a friend who worked for the USFS would occasionally "borrow" to cut firewood with, so the 540i is a lot lighter and easier to handle than the 361 with a 25 inch bar. For reference, I'm 32 years old and in pretty good shape, but I'm also only 5'8" and around 155 pounds, and I felt like I could run the 540i for as long as I would want to run a saw for.

I didn't feel like fatigue from handling the saw would be an issue, it's well balanced and even with the battery, bar, chain and oil I think it only clocks in around 12 pounds. I was cutting all softwood (lodgepole pine and quaking aspen) in the 6-13 inch diameter range, and a full battery lasted right around the same amount of time as a full tank of bar oil did. As with the brush cutter, the reduction in high frequency vibrations compared to an ICE chainsaw goes a long way toward reducing fatigue.

I'll post some more detailed thoughts in the Gear Room later tonight. I'm heading out to work on the pile a bit more in a couple hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
All the LL pine is split and stacked. Ended up just sticking with the heavy maul to split the last half. It does a better job with with the stringy stuff.
Evan

8E52339F-3A44-48A3-831C-DCA12659F0CC.jpeg

@MissMac you might want one of these things for winter

Reactions: MissMac
@MissMac you might want one of these things for winter
Haha, that's awesome! I already have a little tote bag, but that contraption looks like I could whack 2 birds with one stone LOL

Ended up getting a few more truck loads of ash this week. Kennyp2339, I hear you on the long days 2 week ago was 16's with storms all that week. Then one of our transmission lines burned a pole down. Then a tree down on a line Friday night, another one triped off Sat morning. Today is the first day I have had off in a while trying to get caught up on mowing and things around the house.

I did some trail clearing with the loppers and on the way back, I picked up a load of rounds, Ash and Maple. I'm hoping that with the Norway Maple, the rounds back in the area we call the sandpit and the rounds I brought back today, we'll have another face cord.

The ferns are starting to turn brown and more leaves are falling, can't wait until fall and the cooler weather.

104_2137.JPG 104_2138.JPG

Well, the big accomplishment here is that I got the porch stripped down and painted. On the wood front, I woke up the splitter yesterday now that it is starting to cool down. We have about a cord of wood to split up that I want to get stacked. It is bone dry and if I don't get to it the ants will. After that, the splitter will be up for sale I suspect.

Well, the big accomplishment here is that I got the porch stripped down and painted. On the wood front, I woke up the splitter yesterday now that it is starting to cool down. We have about a cord of wood to split up that I want to get stacked. It is bone dry and if I don't get to it the ants will. After that, the splitter will be up for sale I suspect.
I did the back rails, not very much painting and the front porch painting ( much more scaping and painting) last year (I'm glad that is done) but it looks so much better, I'm sure yours will too.

Do you have any rain in your forecast?

After taking the wife for a ride, I picked up the rest of the rounds on the ridge and brought them home to split and stack. After splitting and stacking three loads, I was soaked so I came inside in the a/c.

I still haven't touched what rounds are left back in the sandpit so I'll use those too finish this face cord which will give us 56 going into the fall before I start on more Ash.

104_2139.JPG 104_2140.JPG 104_2141.JPG 104_2142.JPG

I love your little truck and cart--so cute...you have plenty of wood and work to do..good for you and a smart person as well to get ready for our next season..Yes..clancey

I've mentioned in some previous posts about how the utility has been doing a lot of cutting along the roads in my town this summer. I posted about how I flagged down a log truck and got a couple loads of logs.

There is actually more than one tree company cutting in different parts of town. Today, I was driving past the local ski area and one of the tree companies is using the parking lot as a staging area. I saw a bunch of trucks and some guys standing there talking, so I pulled in and asked if they would be sending a log truck around to get the logs like the other tree company did a few weeks ago. He said yes and took my number and address and said they would bring me some more logs.

This is so much easier than going out and scrounging it with my pickup truck. I am likely going to get several years worth of wood this summer. It's going to be a lot of processing, but I just ordered a splitter, so that should help. Luckily my wife is ok with several big log piles in the yard because she understands the value of this much free wood.

I'll post again when the next log truck shows up, probably in a couple weeks.

I've mentioned in some previous posts about how the utility has been doing a lot of cutting along the roads in my town this summer. I posted about how I flagged down a log truck and got a couple loads of logs.

There is actually more than one tree company cutting in different parts of town. Today, I was driving past the local ski area and one of the tree companies is using the parking lot as a staging area. I saw a bunch of trucks and some guys standing there talking, so I pulled in and asked if they would be sending a log truck around to get the logs like the other tree company did a few weeks ago. He said yes and took my number and address and said they would bring me some more logs.

This is so much easier than going out and scrounging it with my pickup truck. I am likely going to get several years worth of wood this summer. It's going to be a lot of processing, but I just ordered a splitter, so that should help. Luckily my wife is ok with several big log piles in the yard because she understands the value of this much free wood.

I'll post again when the next log truck shows up, probably in a couple weeks.
That's always nice, looking forward to the pictures of you bucking up the logs and splitting with your new splitter.

Split and in the shed. That was a lot of wood to process solo. Still more to do, but at least the shed is full and the rest of the wood is down by the splitter and not in the backyard. The shed holds just a bit under 3 cords.

IMG_0126.jpgIMG_0125.jpg

That's a beautiful little shed and you sure do stack well too--3 cords --would have never thought it would hold that much.. The first week of Sept I am getting a 1/2 cord of mixed wood for storage and I sure hope I can stack it as good as you..I think my shed needs maybe more of a overhang on the roof and I am thinking of having another extension put on the sides and front as well as painting the roof a dark color to attract the sun to absorb more heat...Just an idea and what do you all think of this idea of mine.? Has anyone heard from our old caw and the kids lately? Is he and his family okay for he has been very quiet and i miss his pretty pictures. clancey

work done today 007.JPG

Last edited:
That's a beautiful little shed and you sure do stack well too--3 cords --would have never thought it would hold that much.. The first week of Sept I am getting a 1/2 cord of mixed wood for storage and I sure hope I can stack it as good as you..I think my shed needs maybe more of a overhang on the roof and I am thinking of having another extension put on the sides and front as well as painting the roof a dark color to attract the sun to absorb more heat...Just an idea and what do you all think of this idea of mine.? Has anyone heard from our old caw and the kids lately? Is he and his family okay for he has been very quiet and i miss his pretty pictures. clancey

View attachment 281331
I like your idea of expanding the roof, maybe another 12" on all sides would keep a lot more rain out. Painted black would look sharp and help seasoning time, I'd be tempted to paint it black on all exposed structure, inside and out

I decided to go after some down or dead American Hophornbeam (Ironwood) today, my first load was a small load from one that was down on the westside of our property.

Picture 2144 is another dead standing Ironwood in the same area that I'll get pretty soon.

104_2143.JPG 104_2144.JPG 104_2146.JPG 104_2147.JPG 104_2148.JPG 104_2149.JPG

My second load of Ironwood came from up top, one top that was left from the spring gave us more rounds while the pine sat in the tree and watched.

I found more Ironwood that was down not far from the top which filled up the tub, I'll split some of the bigger rounds and get it stacked before the end of next week.

We should have another face cord from everything back near the sandpit, we have more rounds of Beech, Maple, Ash and Ironwood.

104_2152.JPG 104_2153.JPG 104_2154.JPG 104_2155.JPG 104_2156.JPG 104_2157.JPG 104_2159.JPG 104_2160.JPG 104_2161.JPG 104_2164.JPG

What beautiful pictures and such pretty deer and such beautiful job of cutting wood good wood people..my goodness wa wa what beautiful wood piles you have--wonderful and get ready for this cold cold weather--wonderful and beautiful and neat too.. Now sailormike I am going to do just that and my carpenter will be back here on next month 8 and 9th before he leaves town again..I am having work done getting ready for this winter too--ugh--hard work but worth it...Hope the news gets better..My carpenter has a large motor home--beautiful it is and he brings it over here and parks out front of my house..I have people next door--okay neighbors but I have to actually go over their and ask them for permission to leave my parking spaces out front vacant--this gets old but okay..I call them the tent people now because they put up a huge black tent up to their roof in the back yard next store and it is black maybe that will make it even hotter--just saying...lol...Don't dare ask me what is in the tent? lol You woods people are blessed and around nature and all its beauty so every time your out there meditate on your "bad ways"--lol Enjoying your thread and all the beautiful pictures..clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
I stacked another face cord today, most of it is Ironwood with some Maple splits and rounds to finish it off.

I also finished off a face cord nearby which gives us 57 face cord going into the fall felling. We have room for another 8 to 10 face cord if needed. Since EAB is in our county, I'll fell more Ash.

104_2165.JPG 104_2166.JPG 104_2167.JPG 104_2168.JPG 104_2169.JPG 104_2170.JPG

The pile is growing. This is all one oak tree with a little locust in there somewhere. Nice winter project. Will be my 26-27 supply.
20210904_083553.jpg