Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1641866960723.jpeg

Started this January 1, 2022. Some shag bark hickory, white oak and mostly honey locust. Hopefully I can get back there this weekend and resume cutting splitting and stacking..

what is that metal caging you're using to stack (not the IBC tote, the black stuff)? did you make that? looks sharp and would work really well over here.
Yes I made 2 of them . It started as a 4x8 metal pallet from the kubota dealer . They use them to ship tractors . Some pallets are re used and some not . He gave me 2 of them.
I welded up some simple angle iron for frame then used welded hog panels for the 2 sides and back . My front loader won’t pick them up full . I have a set of pallet forks for the 3 point and they will pick up a lot more .
They work great and hold a lot of wood .
Notice my stacks are near as nice as woodlands. Lol

Reactions: MissMac
Yes I made 2 of them . It started as a 4x8 metal pallet from the kubota dealer . They use them to ship tractors . Some pallets are re used and some not . He gave me 2 of them.
I welded up some simple angle iron for frame then used welded hog panels for the 2 sides and back . My front loader won’t pick them up full . I have a set of pallet forks for the 3 point and they will pick up a lot more .
They work great and hold a lot of wood .
Notice my stacks are near as nice as woodlands. Lol
LOL.

It looks like overnight we'll start warming up so I plan on taking down another dead pine tomorrow near a new trail I made in late December.

Some tops for the deer would be nice, I have one rotting at the base Maple and two smaller Ash that will come down either later tomorrow or the next day, the deer should be all over those.

I didn't get the dead pine I had planned on because of the wind but I did get rid of one pine tree that was close to the vehicles when we used our driveway. I took three loads over to the fireplace with the good pine rounds going to the split pile.

I did notice a dead pine that was uprooted some that is on a small cherry just off the driveway, there's about six smaller dead pine in that area I might clear first.

104_2745.JPG 104_2746.JPG 104_2747.JPG

We have freezing drizzle going on but the wife wanted to pick a few things up at the grocery store so I drove in, no dead pine coming down today but we'll put in a few loads of firewood today before the wind chill gets bad.

The state routes were fine, no ice on them but the side roads looked bad so most of the schools were canceled for the day in our area.

Reactions: heavy hammer
With a possible 8 - 12 inches of snow coming in, we put in a few loads of red & sugar maple and a smaller load of ironwood in.

This winter we haven't had a big snowfall where I had to plow all the trails around the house, since the firewood is in, I can plow some driveways and the trails without worrying about the firewood.

Good to see my friends in NY getting some snow . Neighbor was running corn again today , even with all this cold weather he made some pretty big ruts .

I burnt some ironwood this week when it was bone cold . I’m used to burning mostly ash but noticed with ironwood you don’t get the coals like ash . Good wood tho .

Good to see my friends in NY getting some snow . Neighbor was running corn again today , even with all this cold weather he made some pretty big ruts .

I burnt some ironwood this week when it was bone cold . I’m used to burning mostly ash but noticed with ironwood you don’t get the coals like ash . Good wood tho .
We usually burn ironwood after two or three years seasoned depending on what type of shape the tree was in we I cut it, so far we get some good coaling but I'm always burning it with something else, throws great heat.

I am getting close to being done cutting/hauling. Been splitting now.

Start of season and 3 weeks ago, there is more now.

Splitter pics are from last March when I got the new splitter.

DSCF0002.JPG 20211210_131502.jpg DSCF0023.JPG DSCF0009.JPG

I just filled the garage back up today and cleaned up a few stacks in the main area close to the house. I'm hoping to get the teractor out tomorrow to move some wood. The temps are going to be pretty cold for the next week so the ground should be frozen enough to not destroy the yard doing some work with the tractor.

@heavy hammer , we're at - 15.3 tonight with another week of cold azz weather coming at us, they're saying we'll have a night that we hit -22, I guess we'll need more Ironwood inside.

It's going to be a cold one. I worked late last night during the freezing rain and had those temps drop from the 30's to low 20's by the time we were done. today we had the sun but temps were cold teens and low 20's. I'm sure we will be in the single digits tonight. Going to be a tough week to work. The stoves will be getting a good amout of work this week. Loaded the garage back up with a lot of locust.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's going to be a cold one. I worked late last night during the freezing rain and had those temps drop from the 30's to low 20's by the time we were done. today we had the sun but temps were cold teens and low 20's. I'm sure we will be in the single digits tonight. Going to be a tough week to work. The stoves will be getting a good amout of work this week. Loaded the garage back up with a lot of locust.
I would rather work in the cold than the freezing rain. This is our first stretch of really cold weather but the year we bought the tractor (August 2016) it was a very cold winter.

2021 - 2022 has been a pretty good winter for wood making here in Wisconsin. We have snow, but not too much! Today it was in the low 20s, a perfect day today to get out in the woods. With a couple of nights this week below zero I was able to get out in the swamp to drag out some ash and maple.
Then with a light breeze I figured it was a good day to take down this big old dead elm that I have been eyeing for a couple of years. It is at least 20" diameter based on my 18" saw bar. She dropped perfectly, right on the trail! That makes it even more fun!

20220116_142356_resized.jpg

20220116_135432_resized.jpg

20220116_145328_resized.jpg

The temp starts dropping tonight so after plowing again today, we'll put in more pellets and wood tomorrow.

The temperature here today in CO is suppose to be in the fifties--hard to believe at this time of year--and on Friday we will have about 1/2 0r 1 inch of wet snow at least that was the weather forecast yesterday...We really do need the moisture bad and this is much wanted but the year has been strange with the weather..Now my question about the work that you all do when you jump around your property cleaning up your wood..When you come across Sumac. Poisoned Oak, and Poison Ivy growing around the bottom or near these rotten falling trees --do you use this wood or use the dead tree that you are cutting down as you gather you wood with your work?..The reason I am asking is because with my last stove burning I believe that I got Sumac poisoning on my skin and just wondering if you all take account of this and it is written that the oil of these plants can get on wood and pass on the skin disease to the people burning it in their wood stoves. clancey

The temperature here today in CO is suppose to be in the fifties--hard to believe at this time of year--and on Friday we will have about 1/2 0r 1 inch of wet snow at least that was the weather forecast yesterday...We really do need the moisture bad and this is much wanted but the year has been strange with the weather..Now my question about the work that you all do when you jump around your property cleaning up your wood..When you come across Sumac. Poisoned Oak, and Poison Ivy growing around the bottom or near these rotten falling trees --do you use this wood or use the dead tree that you are cutting down as you gather you wood with your work?..The reason I am asking is because with my last stove burning I believe that I got Sumac poisoning on my skin and just wondering if you all take account of this and it is written that the oil of these plants can get on wood and pass on the skin disease to the people burning it in their wood stoves. clancey
I haven't had any problems with firewood having any Sumac, P.O., or P.I. on or around it.

Reactions: clancey
Were going to be seeing single digits tonight and some teens this weekend. Both stoves are filled with big loads of locust. I spilt a lot of my big pieces down to make it easier for my wife to load the stoves. I was called back in last night at 5 and didn't get home till 10 today so I'm glad she had some smaller pieces to keep her and the girls warm last night.

Were going to be seeing single digits tonight and some teens this weekend. Both stoves are filled with big loads of locust. I spilt a lot of my big pieces down to make it easier for my wife to load the stoves. I was called back in last night at 5 and didn't get home till 10 today so I'm glad she had some smaller pieces to keep her and the girls warm last night.
That's nice, whatever we can do so this firewood chit is easy on the boss. 👍 We're at -9 tonight heading for possibly another - 20 low in the morning, some sites say - 15 so we'll see tomorrow morning.

Multiple stoves? You must heat a large home. How much wood do you need to have on hand each year out of curiosity??

My house is close to 4000 sq feet total 2450, 1 st floor, 1500+ sq feet finished basement. I burn through about 5 cords a year I believe. I haven't really calculated it in to figure it out. My goal is always to get at least 10 truck loads of wood every year which keeps me ahead. I know that isn't the most accurate but I'm plenty of years ahead, with the stacks and piles more and more than the previous year.

I've been wanting to fell a Maple or two since they have some shrooms growing on the trunk and the tops will get eaten by the deer, hopefully that happens tomorrow.