Work in progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Work in progress

Attachments

• WoodpicsforKen022.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen022.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 562
  • WoodpicsforKen021.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen021.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 562
  • WoodpicsforKen020.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen020.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 535
  • WoodpicsforKen019.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen019.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 534
More pics of piles and cribs

Attachments

• WoodpicsforKen015.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen015.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 514
  • WoodpicsforKen006.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen006.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 799
  • WoodpicsforKen008.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen008.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 540
  • WoodpicsforKen011.jpg
    WoodpicsforKen011.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 533
How long does it take the center of those stacks to dry out?

Well...............now knowing what I know now from the wealth of information on Hearth.com. I was doing this all wrong. I have restacked a couple cords in single rows and rows with 6-8 inches in between them to help the drying process. Fortunately I have come across a lot of dead stuff ready to burn, so I can hold off on those piles.

I hate doing things twice!!

KC

EatenByLimestone said:
Before I had my woodshed, I always stacked my wood in rows of three and never noticed any difference with the centre row. I now cram it tight into a 10'x20' shed and it dries all the way through eventually. Never had a piece rot on me yet. Mind you, I don't pack it in the shed green.

Nice collection of wood you got there.

You look set for the next few years.
That is some load on that trailer with the straps still on.

You scored :)

I really like this idea:

index.php

I can see you have a plywood sheet under that top pallet but I would mount the upright pallets on the inside of the bottom pallet then the top pallet would complete the "box". For winter I think I would tie a tarp to the top pallet and maybe/maybe not drop tarps down the front and back sides. I wouldn't use a pallet on the backside but that is becuase the wood I am stacking is split. Around here (the city) I have to keep the piles looking neat for the city inspectors.

Shari

This was the prototype. Plans are subject to change. Right now it's working.

I don't have to worry about the town, and my wood piles EVERYWHERE!

KC

LLigetfa said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Before I had my woodshed, I always stacked my wood in rows of three and never noticed any difference with the centre row. I now cram it tight into a 10'x20' shed and it dries all the way through eventually. Never had a piece rot on me yet. Mind you, I don't pack it in the shed green.

i am hoping for the same ... my place is 18x12 stacked 6 ft tall (was) i am now in the process of filling up the other side .. but everything as far as i can see into it is bone dry... but it has been s/s since at least a year and by the time i burn it will be 18 months.... by the time i get to the stuff in the middle prolly jan..
but i did clean up the branches so now it gets a lot more sun....
i don't think rows and spacing make a big difference unless you want to burn it in under a year then yes it will help

It's a good idea to plan any top cover to allow air also to move across the top of the stacks, and any bottom to allow air movement under the stacks. Lots of people use tarps on top, which IMO is a bad idea, as it both restricts air movement and allows condensation on the bottom side of the tarp to drip back down into the top layer or two of the stacks, preventing drying and encouraging rot, insects and other vermin. No air movement under the stacks allows ground moisture to prevent the bottom few layers from drying well. Some people even wrap their entire stack in a tarp -- kind of like a tuna sandwich in plastic wrap -- it will never dry out.

I stack mine three wide on pallets and it seems to dry OK. It's in full sun all day all year 'round.

In the past I cut 60" long poplars and laid them down as a base to stack on. Since I cut my firewood to 20", that allowed for 3 rows. This year, I'm trying pallets for the first time. Since pallets are 40" wide, only 2 rows of firewood will fit on them. I'm also going to leave a foot of airspace between the rows of pallets.

I still plan to cram the partially seasoned wood tightly in the woodshed come Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.