Working a Honey Locust Score, May Need Help (Dayton)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Met a guy and got three Tacoma loads Thursday 9/22 - about a cord. I like being polite and responsible on scrounges just because it lifts people's spirits to see a problem get solved and everybody wins.

The owner has been a really decent guy on day-one, and I found out he's a huge Rush fan, so that makes him OK in my book.

But there may be more than I can take. This is a difficult score. Fenced in backyard, with everything being wheelbarrowed out to the front yard through a narrow gate. The front yard has a narrow sloping access to reverse to the gate, and a VERY steep hill to exit with a full load. My truck did not bottom out cresting the dropoff, or put the front bumper into the street pavement, or carve a cut into the hill with my trailer hitch coming back to horizontal.

Whoever cut this stuff was a master of inconsistency. Some pieces are 27" long, and instead of straight cuts, everything is cut on an angle on both ends. You can only make sense out of one round at a time.

His neighbor to the rear, on a previous project, surrendered access to their driveway after a section of fence was taken down. That could happen again and it would be much easier. Work could still get done if the yard is too wet to drive on.

I told him I could try to vet anyone interested, and a reasonable condition is to take the hard along with the easy, so he has nothing left at the conclusion. There are big rounds that must be split to be moved by hand.

I can't divulge his address,but it's in Dayton (Oakwood), close to the intersection of Patterson and Shroyer.

If it makes sense to you to deal with an ugly round as well as a pretty one, and you can tolerate humping rounds 40-50' one way or another (unless the fence is dealt with), then this score will add to your stacks. But 8' sections by the side of the road, it ain't!!

I guess just posting to this thread will let me know who's interested.
Thanks,
Greg

I like being polite and responsible on scrounges just because it lifts people's spirits to see a problem get solved and everybody wins
Yeah, we've all been there. Good on ya for toughing it out.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'm just up the interstate in Piqua, not sure I could get away with coming down there either day this weekend though. I've heard a lot of plans from the wife.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, we've all been there. Good on ya for toughing it out.

With one day and three trips, I haven't toughed it out yet!! ;-) Woody, you're the guy who seems to find the nicest stuff at the bottom of a ravine and calls on superhuman strength to carry it up! :)

This locust was cut last October, so thank goodness it's not completely green. But the lengths are simply bizarre. There's going to be 20% waste in chunks and uglies no matter what your splitting length. Have I mentioned that I officially coin the term "chuglies"? I get royalties every time it's used.

I'm a little worried that big locust rounds may not lend themselves to being split in half with wedges. Oak does, but a lot of others don't.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
I'm just up the interstate in Piqua, not sure I could get away with coming down there either day this weekend though. I've heard a lot of plans from the wife.

Wow, Piqua isn't a hop, skip and a jump from here. I thought 20 minutes from my house was pushing it...:cool:

If you think it might make sense, we can try to work out the details. Some of this stuff could be good for this winter. I plan to hit it again Sunday or Monday.

not sure I could get away with coming down there either day this weekend though. I've heard a lot of plans from the wife.
"But Honey, it's Honeylocust!" () ==c

With one day and three trips, I haven't toughed it out yet!! ;-) Woody, you're the guy who seems to find the nicest stuff at the bottom of a ravine and calls on superhuman strength to carry it up....There's going to be 20% waste in chunks and uglies no matter what your splitting length. Have I mentioned that I officially coin the term "chuglies"? I get royalties every time it's used.
I'm a little worried that big locust rounds may not lend themselves to being split in half with wedges. Oak does, but a lot of others don't.
If I were really Superman, I would fly right over there and make short work of it for ya. ==c
Hey, those 'chuglies' burn just fine. ::DT::F >> If you can get help, do our old trick of using a snatch-'em strap: Put the hooks on the axle to form a loop which goes around the chest of your helper...makes going up slopes much easier. (This handy tip is in lieu of royalty money, of which I have none.) ==c

It'll be tough to get down there before next Saturday for me. I I've been planning a trip to Dayton with my trailer for a little while now one weekend and just make the rounds for whatever I see on Craigslist. Don't see near as much free wood here as you do dayton way.

How wide is the gate and how much is left back there? If it's just a little over 4 ft. I could bring a splitter down and quick work could be made of it and much easier toe get out?

not sure I could get away with coming down there either day this weekend though. I've heard a lot of plans from the wife.
"But Honey, it's Honeylocust."

With one day and three trips, I haven't toughed it out yet!! ;-) Woody, you're the guy who seems to find the nicest stuff at the bottom of a ravine and calls on superhuman strength to carry it up!....There's going to be 20% waste in chunks and uglies no matter what your splitting length.
Hey, if I were really Superman, I would fly right out and make short work of it for ya. :) Those "chuglies" will furnish BTUs as well. ::DT::F==c If you can get a helper, use our old wheelbarrow trick; Take a snatch-'em strap, put the hooks on the axle to form a loop of strap, then loop it around your helper. Makes hills with a loaded wheelbarrow much easier.

Also, with a wheelbarrow sometimes you can tip it up on its nose and the wheel guard, and one person can roll a round in while the other lifts with and stabilizes the handles.

It'll be tough to get down there before next Saturday for me. I I've been planning a trip to Dayton with my trailer for a little while now one weekend and just make the rounds for whatever I see on Craigslist. Don't see near as much free wood here as you do dayton way.

How wide is the gate and how much is left back there? If it's just a little over 4 ft. I could bring a splitter down and quick work could be made of it and much easier toe get out?

Aranyic, I'd have thought the complete opposite. There's probably just as much wood in Piqua, but nobody is posting. A lot of the Dayton stuff is silver maple, since the neighborhoods are getting 60 years or older. There's ash, but it goes fairly quickly.

It's hard to estimate how much wood is at a scrounge, but I thought three cords was conservative. I think I've snagged one, but it didn't make a big dent.

The gate I'm using is 30" max. I've got a 7-ton (allegedly) electric splitter that will split big stuff with a relief cut. It'll fit! ;lol But it doesn't do horizontal splitting. If he coordinates with the neighbor and takes down a section of fence, then it's closer to duck soup.

I could do Sundays 11/2, 11/9 early afternoon. How much could you haul in a load?

Just between the two of us, I know where some ash is by the side of the road near my house. It'd be a dangerous place to park and would require a safety cone at a minimum. It'd be easier to get once the leaves drop.

Also, with a wheelbarrow sometimes you can tip it up on its nose and the wheel guard, and one person can roll a round in while the other lifts with and stabilizes the handles.

You just made me remember that a hand truck would be the perfect compliment to this job. But the wheelbarrow tricks are pretty sharp!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Sound, shoot me a PM. I work in Kettering (Lincoln Park/Shroyer to be exact) and may have a chance this week after work.

f v

I'll post some pics of inventory. It's got to be over two cords. I've got the owner considering coordinating access through the fence (take down a section) for a several day period after 10/3.

Reactions: fireview2788
IMG_20160925_161943615.jpg
IMG_20160925_161939250.jpg
IMG_20160925_161948951.jpg

IMG_20160925_161953360.jpg
IMG_20160925_161959191.jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
_g, I think I might be salivating over here. Have Huskee 22ton splitter, will travel. ==c

fv

Very nice looking piles of wood back there. The stuff in the piles still solid or starting to get punky?

Very nice looking piles of wood back there. The stuff in the piles still solid or starting to get punky?

I don't think so. Where I've cut ends off it looks as fresh as a daisy. Obviously some is on the ground and is wet. I've seem smaller pieces that didn't look healthy, but I think that was their condition when the tree came down. But those big ones are big and UGLY.

Quick note here. Went back for another truck load 10/10. It took me an hour to dig stuff out and cut to fill my Tacoma. This stuff is getting to where it'll need to be processed to some degree to move it. I think the next step is somebody with a gas splitter shows up and we cut and split like nobody's business. Again, all the rounds are random length and unless you've got a stove that'll take 27" splits, there's going to be cookies and chuglies.

Anybody feel like bringing a splitter? I could rent one, but I don't have the solid two days it'll take to process the big stuff. Still have to coordinate access through the fence and the neighbor's driveway.

I'm booked up this weekend. Could free up time next Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon probably to trailer the splitter and bring it down.

I know we PM'd but my weekends are booked solid for the rest of October. I hope you find someone to help you get this cleaned up!

f v

I'm booked up this weekend. Could free up time next Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon probably to trailer the splitter and bring it down.

I ended up playing Fri, Sat and Sunday this weekend. I'm going to set this thread to send me an email alert where there's a response so I can better monitor the thing.

If you're talking about 10/22 and 23, I'd definitely be available 10/23 Sunday afternoon. I'm booked 10/21 and 22. I'll text the owner and tell him we're at the point that we need access and machinery to go any further. If he can pull something together, maybe I could meet you there Sat for an introduction and some labor, and then try to make Sunday the end point.

The owner will need to coordinate with his neighbors since we'll be using their driveway. I shouldn't do much labor on Saturday because it's bad strategy for me to works my hands and then go play.

I know we PM'd but my weekends are booked solid for the rest of October. I hope you find someone to help you get this cleaned up!

f v

I appreciate the moral support! It's actually a comfort to find out other people are pretty busy, too!

Reactions: fireview2788
I ended up playing Fri, Sat and Sunday this weekend. I'm going to set this thread to send me an email alert where there's a response so I can better monitor the thing.

If you're talking about 10/22 and 23, I'd definitely be available 10/23 Sunday afternoon. I'm booked 10/21 and 22. I'll text the owner and tell him we're at the point that we need access and machinery to go any further. If he can pull something together, maybe I could meet you there Sat for an introduction and some labor, and then try to make Sunday the end point.

The owner will need to coordinate with his neighbors since we'll be using their driveway. I shouldn't do much labor on Saturday because it's bad strategy for me to works my hands and then go play.
Well I stand corrected on Sunday. Told my wife and she reminded me we have tickets to the Bengals game. Hopefully my Bengals can beat the brown at home.

I'll be out of town the weekend of the 29th all together.

I hope you're right! If they can't take the Browns then there's no hope. Anyway, let me know if you come up with a date and I'll try to free up some time.

f v

Status
Not open for further replies.