Would a infrared thermo work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico1986

Oct 18, 2013
Shirley ny
Would a infrared thermo work instead of a magnet thermo to check temp of stove to check optimum temps.

Yep. Plus if you get one with a laser, you can have fun with the cat too!

Reactions: Adamkyr
I just threw a big maple round and 2 splits in the Englander. My internal pipe guage said 375 and the Craftsman laser said 335 on the outside of the single wall pipe.

Would a infrared thermo work instead of a magnet thermo to check temp of stove to check optimum temps.

as long as the metal is not reflective, won't work on SS.

I just got an IR gun after years using the magnetic gauge. Fun to play with, but Its a bit of a pain to use. The interesting thing was the temperatures of various locations on the stove and single wall chimney. But based on my magnetic stove top I can calculate the other temps. The magnetic was very accurate. I think most of us can run the stove without ever seeing the temp. Yes an occasional look at the stove top never hurts, especially if your running the thing at it's upper limits.

I just threw a big maple round and 2 splits in the Englander. My internal pipe guage said 375 and the Craftsman laser said 335 on the outside of the single wall pipe.

That stove looks brand new. That thing must throw some heat. The stack gauge looks a bit off.

It was brand new last winter when that pic was taken. First fire in it was Fri between Xmas & New Years.

The stack guage is 200 - 1000 but it does not have high / low pegs, so when she's cold around 60 - 70 it points so low it looks like 1050.

yes it will work. but it will still be reading surface temp. and as muncybob said, it can't be reflective and it is hard to get an accurate reading on thin metal

Thanks guys just got new Osburn 2400 insert and don't want to over fire it so I'm best get is to get a magnetic thermometer

I've been using a Raytec IR to measure both stove top and pipe temps since we had our BK Princess installed...it gives me peace of mind.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.