Would this be recommended wood for burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudos

Aug 11, 2009
Central Alberta
I am currently having a Spruce timber frame cabin built so I am going to have a lot of scraps, ie scrap 2x4, 2x6. scrap tongue & groove siding. All milled spruce, untreated. Would it be advisable to stack and save these odd size pieces and use them in my soon to be PE Super27.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, common sense says burn the stuff, but hey ya never know :red:

Cheers

Perfect stuff for kindling a fire-just don't stuff the stove with it because it burns fast and hot. I use pallet scraps (hardwood and pine) to build up a nice coal bed for regular firewood every day of the burning season.

Most stove manuals prohibit burning kiln dried lumber. Do you care about the warranty? Do you think you can be careful enough to not overfire it? If so, then slowly add pieces along with your firewood. In your shoes, and I am since I am doing a remodel, I have nice campfires with it.

Yep. One of the hardest things is timing a coal bed for the overnight load. With that stuff you can get'er going in no time, load it, level it out and go to bed. Same drill the next morning while the coffee is brewing. Finding coals in the stove in the morning is good. Having something to toss on top of them for a quick start-up is divine.

Highbeam said:
Most stove manuals prohibit burning kiln dried lumber. Do you care about the warranty? Do you think you can be careful enough to not overfire it? If so, then slowly add pieces along with your firewood. In your shoes, and I am since I am doing a remodel, I have nice campfires with it.

This stuff is not kiln dried, if that makes a difference. But I appreciate the overfirng concern.

BrotherBart said:
Having something to toss on top of them for a quick start-up is divine.

And heavenly divine when the wife gets home before you and can grab some of the cord plus of super small split pine ready for that purpose. Only took me 4 years to figure that one out.

And, if you want more spruce, there is a guy in Madison, WI that has some for you and he will pay you to take it away! :lol:

Good stuff for use as kindling or for those quick start-up shoulder season fires.

firefighterjake said:
Good stuff for use as kindling or for those quick start-up shoulder season fires.

Ok newb question here. I've seen this more than once around here. What does "shoulder season fires" mean

Pre and Post winter months. It is the season that you can't burn 24/7 because you would cook yourself out of house and home. It is also referred to as "wood burners hell" because it seems like you are constantly starting a new fire. Which of course is a perfect use for the scrap wood you have in question. %-P

Jags said:
Pre and Post winter months. It is the season that you can't burn 24/7 because you would cook yourself out of house and home. It is also referred to as "wood burners hell" because it seems like you are constantly starting a new fire. Which of course is a perfect use for the scrap wood you have in question. %-P

Ahhh ok, Thank-You my good man. The things a newb can learn here :)

Cudos said:
Jags said:

Ahhh ok, Thank-You my good man. The things a newb can learn here :)

Stick around - you ain't seen 'nothin yet. :lol:

Oh I expect you'll be hearing from me the first time I chase my family out of the cabin because its filled with smoke :lol: and I don't know why. I know its just a wood stove but I can't wait to use it. Must be a primal instinct thing. Man creating fire type of thing :)

While on the topic, I mostly have access to birch and spruce for firewood. I'm guessing birch , although more expensive would be my best bet because it should burn longer? or is a case of burn what ever is the cheapest.

Thanks

Jags said:

Yup . . . what Jags said . . . burning in the Fall and Spring . . . although this past crazy Summer I was even burning into July on a few days.

As far as smoking up the place . . . we may be able to come up with a solution for that problem too so your family doesn't think you're out to kill them.

1) Is this a new stove and the "smoke" is the paint curing? It's normal for the new paint and oils of a new stove to smoke up and really stink up the place.

2) How is your draft in the stove? Is the chimney tall enough and not obstructed by near objects? Draft is wicked important in making sure the smoke goes up and out vs. in and around the house.

3) What are you burning for wood -- well seasoned wood or green wood? Seasoned wood = good (better heat, less smoke) . . . gree wood = bad (more smoke, less heat)

4) Have the smoke-filled occurences been lately with the warm weather or during the cold weather? This time of year getting a good draft can be an issue . . . about the only time I have got a little bit of smoke in the room is when I've been attempting to light a fire with the temps not being all that cold.

If you have a good draft and the wood is seasoned you shouldn't be filling your house up with smoke unless something isn't quite right . . . I mean occasionally there may be a few puffs of smoke

Sorry, stove isn't installed yet. Not till October, I was just anticipating a smoke filled cabin due to my inexperience lol. But I appreciate your possible reasons as to why that would happen. I'm soaking all this up like a sponge.

Thank-You

Cudos said:
I am currently having a Spruce timber frame cabin built so I am going to have a lot of scraps, ie scrap 2x4, 2x6. scrap tongue & groove siding. All milled spruce, untreated. Would it be advisable to stack and save these odd size pieces and use them in my soon to be PE Super27.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, common sense says burn the stuff, but hey ya never know :red:

Cheers

I wouldn't bother with it, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

Newbie here also. Just had a Napoleon 1402 wood burning insert installed and have been using for about a month. I absolutly love it. Have a good supploy of seasoned oak stacked away for the winter. I also work part time with a builder and I have access to different sizes of wood scraps, almost all of it is kiln dried Douglas Fir. I have been mixin in the Doug Fir with the Oak and havnt had any problems. I've been doing a lot of reading and research about burning wood scraps and have found a ton of opinions out there. If I dont use the wood scraps all the time,,,,it seems I should be ok. Any input would be appreciated. Hope to contribute here and also do a lot of learning........

Status
Not open for further replies.