Would you charge a neighbor for limb removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chit, I didn't see the ailing part. Must of skimmed over ether post. In that case, do it for free bro........

Now THERE is the Scotty I thought I knew.:cool:

Reactions: ScotO
I'd do it for free also.Neighbors on both sides of me (north 1 couple in early mid 60's,he's a vietnam vet,had both lungs replaced last winter,known them for over 20 yrs -south 1 young couple early mid 30's w/ a 2yr old) known them 5 yrs now) never have to ask me for nothing.

I would say 20-50 if you cant dammage anything if you can do it for free if you dont have insurance to damage her house that way if it goes bad you say you were helpin her out and her homeowners covers damage.

Makes one wonder what ever happened to the "good neighbor" thing. Does it really matter that she is moving? Does it really matter that you'll help someone but get nothing in return? What about some poor lady on the road that you stop to help change a tire? What about someone broke down on the road and you give a ride somewhere and ask nothing? Just some thoughts...

Elderly and a husband with Alzheimers? I'd do it for free, then. I wasn't aware of those details when giving my previous answer.

Let's take a break from the serious talk:

Q: How much would you charge to remove a limb?
A: I'd charge an arm and a leg! ;lol

Reactions: ScotO and Stegman
If it is a tough removal I'd either charge them or pass, considering that you don't know them. For a friend or acquiantence I'd put in some work as long as it doesn't seem dangerous, but for a stranger I don't think you have an obligation to to work for free.

I have some great neighbors and feel lucky to be able to say that. As such, I help out whenever I can (and they always offer to do the same).

If it's something you can confidently help them with w/out damage, then just do it. If there is any above normal risk, then tell them you are sorry but you just don't have the equipment to do it safely.

pen

freebee.....undercut the branch, top cut the branch, move out of the way when it falls....done! Sounds pretty easy to me especially if there are no hindrances nearby. jmho

cass

I don't keep score.

Same here . . . I know myself and my wife have been helped many a time by friends, folks we know and complete strangers . . . and so I try to remember to do the same . . . no score card is needed when you want to do the right thing and be a hero.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm not doing the job.
Went and looked more closely at it this morning.
The limb is more like 18-20" and the end of it is laying on the ground ~35' long and more like 20' up in the tree. It's not broke off enough to trim back and pull down with the truck
And there is a sweet punky 8' widow maker right above another 15' up. With the heavy rains we've had and stiff breeze today I'm not working anywhere near it.

Reactions: Nixon
being safe is No.1 and if the homeowner knows you would not feel comfortable with the job, they wouldn't want you doing it either.

just saw your post, good call

Nice to help out but that's a good one to walk away from.

Yup. This did turn out to be one to walk away from.

I'm not doing the job.
Went and looked more closely at it this morning.
The limb is more like 18-20" and the end of it is laying on the ground ~35' long and more like 20' up in the tree. It's not broke off enough to trim back and pull down with the truck
And there is a sweet punky 8' widow maker right above another 15' up. With the heavy rains we've had and stiff breeze today I'm not working anywhere near it.

This makes a difference . . . personal safety trumps being neighborly.

Status
Not open for further replies.