Would you even think about getting this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

armanidog

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2017
Northeast Georgia
This tree flattened my bother in law's fence (he raises cows). It was uprooted back in September. He wants to move the cows into this section. It is back in the woods and not much room for a tractor.
IMG_20171213_094703.jpg

My thought is to rebuild the fence around it and let it eventually fall. It's not worth the risk just for a fence and some firewood. A lot of tension in the tree holding up the second trunk and it is directly above the other trunk.
What do you think?

Depends on what you have for equipment. If that was in my yard I'd rip it out of there.

Depends on what you have for equipment. If that was in my yard I'd rip it out of there.
He has a Kubota with a cab, probably around 60 HP, and an old Deutz, probably 30HP. No front end loader. We might be able to pull on it with a chain but it's pretty crowded with trees and goes up a slope on the right hand side

He has a Kubota with a cab, probably around 60 HP, and an old Deutz, probably 30HP. No front end loader. We might be able to pull on it with a chain but it's pretty crowded with trees and goes up a slope on the right hand side

The alternative is to cut your way to it and drag it out. I wouldn't get anywhere near it like it is right now to put a new fence up. My soul purpose in life would be dragging it out of that tree it's hung up on.

And before you go cutting on the tree it's leaning on, I've seen many a guy do that and several get hurt. The best option is to drag it and live to tell the story. ;)

For the experienced folks... in a situation like this if you couldn't get a tractor in there would a come a long (or winch) be enough to pull it down? Assuming you grab it at the bottom and pull until it lays down enough to relieve tension.

Someday when I have some acreage I'll be sure to get a tractor as well. It seems the uses are unlimited.

I would say yes . . . we had a hellacious windstorm a day or so before Halloween and I actually had a large pine come down and rest up against a tree very similar to this . . . well technically trees as there was another small pine and two small maples.

I took down the pine and the other trees . . . but I took my time, eye-balled things, figured out a plan based on my experience . . . and things worked out. It helped to have an ATV to pull things around, but mostly it was figuring out which tree to cut first, second, etc. and then letting gravity slowly bring down the trees.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Snatch blocks, cable and using your head works wonders. Perfect job for a logging winch on that tractor.

I would not hesitate a second to bring it down...but I have the equipment and experience to handle it..if you don't...leave it alone or get someone who can.BTW post up a picture of the where it up rooted.

I have done a lot of those. I don't want imply you can't easily do something wrong and get into trouble. The tree is only going one way, down. If the bottom is free of the root ball, use a come a long and drag it backwards until it falls out of the tree. A bit trickier it ts connected to the root ball. Do a You Tube search. I think there are video's of the cuts required.

Reactions: St. Coemgen