WOW Got an email today from a scrounge I did in March,We need 11 trees cut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
You came and got some wood from my house in March. We have some property in Fenton that we need 11 trees cut down and the wood hauled away. It needs to be done between May 12 and May 19. Are you interested in doing this? The trees are scotch pine, ash, elm and box elder.

I told them I would have to go take a look at the property and trees.
But it sounds like It might be way to much for me alone, I might need some help if any one wants in.
Or I might turn it down, have to have a look see.
There is lots free wood around here right now.

How is box elder for splittin , burning ?

Edit In 8 days I don't think so, maybe with help

Reactions: smokinj
Everything I've read here about boxelder suggests it's not worth the trouble (only slightly more BTUs than the Scotch pine).

You could tell them that doing it all is more than you can handle but you'll take the ash (and elm if you have a hydraulic splitter) if they're willing. That should at least reduce their removal expenses.

Reactions: PapaDave
To paraphrase that line from Jaws, you're gonna need a bigger truck.

How is box elder for splittin , burning ?

Box elder is just an okay shoulder season wood. It dries quickly and is very light when dry. Kinda burns like paper when dry. Generally has a funky red center, like a splotch on the end of the round and when you split it; the splits have a red streak down the center. Kinda cool looking wood. It looses the red color in time but comes back if you splash it with water. I burn it from time to time but would not go very far to get it. But if it comes with a load of ash... well you sometimes take the bad with the good;)

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be red elm which can be split by hand and has a great BTU output. Can't say anything about scotch pine, I've never seen it.

BTU lists I looked at say Tulip Poplar 16, Boxelder 18, soft Maple 19. If it is mostly Ash and Elm, it might be a good score...

Seems like a lot of work. Did you cut down or remove the trees before?
My opinion is that if you removed downed trees before and now they are asking you to cut down and remove trees, they are asking too much of you, and probably just looking to get work done for free. If there is lots of free and higher quality wood there, I would not do the cutting down. I tell people that I cut up down trees, but I don't cut down up trees. Let them hire a tree service, and their insurance to drop trees and offer to take the cut up wood away for free.

Are they paying you to do it?
I'm in Flatbed's camp on this one.

But if you need the wood & something to do on those dates. Worth a look. :)

Definitely you won't know until you see it. Also beware that most times you'll find the box elder close to buildings. So maybe they are trying to get you to do what an arborist should be hired to do.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm going to pass the whole deal. They are going to have to pay some one to get that done in that time frame.
And I guess they want me to pay them $30 ;lol;lol;lol NOT

Part of email I got today , The property goes back a ways and some of the trees are in the back. They will all be marked. We need all 11 of the trees cut down and hauled away by May 19. Here's the Craigslist ad showing the trees. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Edit : Sent this email,
I’m sorry but, I have enough work already , and that is too big of a job for me to get done in that time frame.
Thank You Very Much For Asking

Here is The CL add for the trees, Firewood

They want YOU to pay THEM!

Reactions: Defiant and ScotO
I read it. How did they come up with $30? Crazy. I'm sure folks are lining up to pay to cut down a bunch of trees for somebody.

I read it. How did they come up with $30? Crazy. I'm sure folks are lining up to pay to cut down a bunch of trees for somebody.
Ya , Some People man, I just don't understand what the heck they are thinking

I'm going to pass the whole deal. They are going to have to pay some one to get that done in that time frame.
And I guess they want me to pay them $30 ;lol;lol;lol NOT

Part of email I got today , The property goes back a ways and some of the trees are in the back. They will all be marked. We need all 11 of the trees cut down and hauled away by May 19. Here's the Craigslist ad showing the trees. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Edit : Sent this email,
I’m sorry but, I have enough work already , and that is too big of a job for me to get done in that time frame.
Thank You Very Much For Asking

Here is The CL add for the trees, Firewood

I think you made the right call.

Now if it was White oak, Locust, &/or Shagbark.
You might only charge them $25 per tree to fell & $30 to haul of the heavy stuff LOL ;lol

Probably good folks & just don't understand much about tree removal VS free firewood.

I'd have charged them 30 bucks for the trip to look at the trees. And a minimum of 150 bucks per tree (plus branch removal fee, if they wanted the branches gone), just for spite...._g
I'm betting they voted for........ah, nevermind......;)

Reactions: amateur cutter
I'd have charged them 30 bucks for the trip to look at the trees. And a minimum of 150 bucks per tree (plus branch removal fee, if they wanted the branches gone), just for spite...._g
I'm betting they voted for........ah, nevermind......;)

Hey HD, I'm sure if the notorious Scotty would show up it could get done in no time BUT remember the last free wood you scored on and Scotty's helicopter somehow got lost that day on his way over? Lol.....

I pass on it as well, lots of free wood showing up. Any luck finding a new stove yet?

Hey HD, I'm sure if the notorious Scotty would show up it could get done in no time BUT remember the last free wood you scored on and Scotty's helicopter somehow got lost that day on his way over? Lol.....

I pass on it as well, lots of free wood showing up. Any luck finding a new stove yet?
Yeah, thanks for reminding me Wishlist.....HD, where is my chopper, hmmm?? :mad:;)

Well, if someone is paying and some damage gets done, they probably think then they could sue?! There are some weird folks out there.

Ya there is lots of free wood showing up,got another line on a big hickery just cut down, and other down ash n such.
I just took out 5 loads of oak n ash about 4 mi from the place in question, there will be more to come up around here also.

I put the new stove on hold cuz I didn't want to try putting it in in winter with the stove being my only heat source, only burned about 4 cord with the dragon

Yeah, thanks for reminding me Wishlist.....HD, where is my chopper, hmmm?? :mad:;)
Well Ralphie Boy offered up A Tank ;lol for the Leaning ash tree see here Small ash, big leaner, what do ya think

It sounds like they want brush n all hauled away , I want nothing to do with that , besides, I don't need a bunch of pine ,nothing wrong with pine though if U need it.

UPDATE
Funny, They changed their add now, so, I called and talked to the lady today.
I am going out to take the ash and maybe some elm.
If any one else wants any of it let me know and I will give you the address

I have a vacant lot with 11 trees that I need cut down and hauled away. You will need to cut the trees down and take away the wood. You can have all of the wood for free. You can choose which trees you'd like if you don't want all of them. The job needs to be done between Saturday May 11 and Sunday May 19. Removal needs to be complete by May 19. The trees are listed below.

Photo 1 - scotch approx. 24" diameter
Photo 2 - spruce approx. 12"
Photo 3 - box elder & elm approx. 12", 18", 24", 12", 6"
Photo 4 - scotch approx. 18"
Photo 5 - scotch approx. 12"
Photo 6 - elm approx. 6"
Photo 7 - ash approx. 15"

OK Scotty get the chopper over here, we will make some 2x4 s outa them pine trees ;)

Its time, Run Forest Run! This is how I get all my trees. I will check it out and tell them what I can and cant do. Chances are they will listen or open there check book for someone else! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.