Wow...I am still burning, -10 C in the AM!! Are you???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Well, I am sitting here and it's still -10C. It's the most incredibly long winter I have seen. I still have 1-2 feet of snow on the ground and it's mid April. It warms up in the day but takes time for the snow to start melting! Quite uncommon in my neck of the woods for this time of the year. Normally there's no snow left!

Therefore, of course I am still burning.
Are you?

Andrew

Burnin here in Pa but no snow on ground, and the nights are in the 30's.....wow...feel bad for you.....at this rate you will be burnin till July....hope your wood supply is in good shape......it's been a lousy winter here but a cake walk compared to what you have experienced....I did notice that my yard is in the worst shape ever after this winter....lots of work to do....keep warm....you probably won't need A/C this summer....

Yup, still goin here 24/7 too. Spring has been a diet of 15+ degree swings daily and rain about every other day. Snows gone here but the ground is still frozen here this a.m. Supposed to get a sh_ _ load of rain this weekend............................

Yep, too much winter, not enough wood. Eyeing my pile speculatively each time I pull off an armload, and checking the weather predictions regularly. Snow in the forecast for mid-week. It's freezing every night, up to the low fortiesF during the day. It's great evaporating weather, which is good news in terms of preventing floods this spring, but making for an unbelievably long winter. We also have a foot or two of snow left.

This was a scrounging year, made worse by my having to go over to 24/7 burning unexpectedly in January. What I have left is getting pretty picked over--some green poplar, some wood that was too wet to burn in mid-winter (due to the way that it was stacked) that freeze-dried a bit over the winter and is semi-burnable now. My pile is getting very picked over, but I just had another small stash--two or three day's worth--melt out in a snowbank. It's warm enough now that I'm heating for comfort, not to keep the house from freezing up, and the sun does a lot to warm the place during the day. I think that the end of winter and the bottom of the woodpile are on intersecting trajectories, but I don't want to ever have to play it this close again.

I'm also looking forward to a cleaner winter next year. Had to drag wood in from piles that had been sitting there for year. Some of the wood was too punky to burn, and some of it had sections that had to be sliced off--did a lot of cleaning up of wood around the chopping block, which means a real mess to be raked off the lawn if I ever see the lawn again . Next year, with sweet, pre-chopped birch and--I hope--a woodshed by the back door, I'm going to be living off the fat of the land.

Fires in the morning here, 33 F with a wind chill of 20 this morning, Still Burning after all These Years to the tune of "Still Standing". :p

Very long, cold winter here in Central NY. Here it is mid April and folks are still running us out of coal and pellets (and our pellets arent cheap). As I sit in the showroom now, its cold, very windy and there's ice bouncing off the parking lot.

Woke up to 1" of snow and it's snowing now. Had a fire last 3 days. Temp must be in the high 20"s or so. Fire feels good as I am back to work. Nothing better than standing in front of the stove and warming my back and muscles. I miss it in the summer.
Doug

Was 33* this morning , dumped another bag of pellets in the hopper and fired up the wood burner in the basement nice and cozy inside. Waiting for wind & rain to show up puts a damper on the outdoor honey do list, no worries she has a back up indoor list.

Had fires the last two nights. Getting hammered with thunderstorms today. Where did I put that rain shovel?

My heartfelt sympathy to all Northerners. Today I cleaned the stove, even vacuuming out ash. Summertime. Now to get that window clean. I'll search the forum for how-tos. It just won't get clean.

Anyway, it's not all leisure here -- time to start mowing. And splitting wood of course.

GAMMA RAY said:
Burnin here in Pa but no snow on ground, and the nights are in the 30's.....wow...feel bad for you.....at this rate you will be burnin till July....hope your wood supply is in good shape......it's been a lousy winter here but a cake walk compared to what you have experienced....I did notice that my yard is in the worst shape ever after this winter....lots of work to do....keep warm....you probably won't need A/C this summer....

That's one great thing about snow on the ground..my yard looks as good as the neighbors then..lol.
That and we like tow put a few thousand miles on our snowmobiles each season.

liston said:
My heartfelt sympathy to all Northerners. Today I cleaned the stove, even vacuuming out ash. Summertime. Now to get that window clean. I'll search the forum for how-tos. It just won't get clean.

Anyway, it's not all leisure here -- time to start mowing. And splitting wood of course.
Take a cheap single edge blade scraper and some water and scrape it in one direction..it will take you one minute.

We had a few days of nice mid 50's, so I got the yard mostly cleaned up. Back to mid 40's/day, mid 20's/night, now.
Still having a fire in the morning, then again evening or just before bed. Waking to the house about 62-63, so start the fire again. Chilly and rain right now.
I'll continue burning until I don't have to, :coolsmile: , then I'll clean the stove and flue.

Yep, still going here also, had to break-in to the reserve stash. Power co. sent someone out to check the gas meter again, third time this year. Just about spilled my coffee( started laughing) when I saw the guy the crossing the front yard.

LMFAO Blades.....that's the best...3rd time eh????? :lol: :lol: :coolsmirk:

still burning here.....

Shawn

We'll keep burning here evenings only, just light up as needed.

Trouble is, that having been toasty warm I'm not really keen on sitting indoors wrapped in a blanket just so I can say the fire's been put to bed for the season :)

hey swedish--the 5036 is still on full tilt...although i did turn the uemp down a bit...just too much cold time left. had 12f yesterday and 15f this a.m.
the ice on the lake is all honeycombed...makes for a n interesting sound when it shifts and breakds up against the rocks on the shoreline...almost like wind chimes!!!windy and cold for the next 5-6 days...then maybe a peak of sunshine...snowmelt is doing just great, though...supposed to get 2-4 more of the "heart attack" snow today

Frost on the windshields here and daytime temps in 40's and 50's but i think i'm gettin old.Chilly still but i get up for work at 4 am and work on the ocean(damp air).lol Still waiting for the stove but believe me,if we had it it would be running.The damp air here in the spring on the coast is worse than the winter i think. I don't know how you take it up there. Stay warm.

Glad to see I am not the only one...perhaps it means that we will have a wicked awesome summer and that fall will be 20 C days?? I love snow but having 2 feet in my back yard is a bit... I still have over a cord and a half of 3 year old maple and yellow birch. I was hoping to use it NEXT winter and not this spring!

Andrew

Last weekend we let the fire go out but it has been going again ever since Monday morning. Last Sunday we were in the 80's! Unbelievable day. Tonight snow mixed with rain and lots of wind.

Just lit off the Endeavor for the first time in a couple of weeks or so. I suppose this is "dogwood winter," as those things are blooming like crazy. That leaves us with "blackberry winter" and "stump winter," I do believe.

In context, I don't mind the chilly late winter/early spring. It's better than tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes (Godspeed to those who have to live in areas prone to natural disasters) I can shovel, the snow melts and summer eventually arrives.

Andrew

Fire this morning, fire right now, and a fire tonight. Highs in the 40's and a low last night in the upper 20's. Didn't start a fire last night, so woke up to 58* in the house. Looks like a lot more fires till she's cold for the summer!

Cheers,

Jacques

Status
Not open for further replies.