Wow Sept 2 and first fire for the coming season 2017/18

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ha!, and here i was so worried I never cleaned up the last bags i burned in my serenity.. i was concerned the residues would ..i don't know, eat into the metal and make the rust worst?

Anyway, i'll give leaving the door open next year although my basement is rather damp (need to do something about it) so "venting it" won't do much benefit.

Did not put the A/C the whole summer.. it was a bad summer in terms of lack of heat... and thus far October hasn't been really autumn. Already 74 in my little home office.

I had to replace my whole central a/c system in and out this summer due to mice eating the wiring. I’m going to wrap the bottom of th unit with steel wool, in addition to the moth balls. No rats here though! Good luck with yours. You could always have a new pet?
Finally got what I think , hope and pray is the last rat to go into the bait box and eat heartily. But I'll set up the bait box again tonight and see if anyone cleans it out overnight. Anyway, that last rat was the big one I've been trying to get into that box for a week, I watched as he he went in yesterday several times and back down his hole.

I knew a guy who actually bought a white rat for a pet, I can't even imagine it, gross.

I was at Lowes last Saturday looking for pellets and saw that they already have the Halloween and Christmas decorations in the garden center. Christmas decorations now is a bit early in my book.

I saw Christmas stuff out at Walmart this past weekend but at Home Depot it's been out at least two weeks LOL. Well it just shows the cash cow that commercialized Christmas has become. I'm sure it has very little to do with the glorification of Jesus Christ and much more anti Christ actually, if someone wants to deal with the reality of it all that is..

Got the stove on this morning a bit cool/damp around so popped the stove on for a while. 10/12/17, been off a couple weeks I guess.

Reactions: vinny11950
Soon enough we(or at least I) will complain about the cold!

Soon enough we(or at least I) will complain about the cold!

I don't know what it is, but early summer heat I love and can be happy in 90 degree weather. But late summer heat and humidity coupled with my allergies really tires me out. Even the sun doesn't shine as nicely as in May and June.

Reactions: jackhammer
By March-April I will get real lax on stove cleaning and be wanting it off. Right now it feels pretty danged nice !

Reactions: jackhammer
First burn of the season last night. Hence why I am here now. Yesterday I lubed the room blower bearings and ID'd some additional parts like the ignitor to have on hand for spares. I don't shut it up for the summer, I leave the OAK and flue free flowing. Sometimes we still get cold nights and frost in the summer and it's nice to have.

We had frost in August, then record highs in September, followed by frost 2 days later. Now it's stabilized and getting colder. We historically always get one small snow before Halloween that doesn't stay. November all bets are off as to what it could be like.

Reactions: vinny11950