Wrapping pex lines and hot water heater in reflectix bubble insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhd21478

Oct 18, 2010
Missouri
Has anyone tried this cut back on heat loss in pex lines or wrapping hot water heater?I have the foam insulation on the pex lines but you can still feel heat which tells me its escaping. I purchased 16 bucks worth or reflectix and some foil tape and did the 40 gallon hot water heater and the side ar exchanger also. I have already noticed a nice difference in how well in maintains the heat since it reflects it back towards the water rather than leting it escape. I also wrapped the pex lines at the outdoor boiler and did the lines coming off the back of the boiler. Again they were wrapped with the foam stuff but by opening the baack door to the boiler you could feel the heat coming off the lines. Now its as cool as a cucumber. Let me know if anyone has used it and your results. thanks

I've got some of that stuff in places, more or less just serves to keep the fiberglass that's under it in place. Also have it around my water heater, with 4" batts under it. I am not too optimistic that the bubble stuff itself provides much R value. I have also since replaced some of the combo fiberglass/bubble stuff I used around some piping 'for now' with real fiberglass pipe insulation - the white coated industrial type stuff. That's the stuff to use for piping, if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.