Wx warning in the PNW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

Rains are coming hard and early here this year. This from the NWS:

...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLE OVER NORTHWEST OREGON AND
SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY.
A DEEP UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFFSHORE WILL SLOWLY MOVE
THROUGH THE AREA OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. EXPECT ANOTHER ROUND OF
LOCALIZED OVERNIGHT SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TONIGHT. MORE
WIDESPREAD SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY BECOMES POSSIBLE AS
THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES INLAND ON THURSDAY.
THE MOST LIKELY PERIOD OF HEAVIER SHOWERS LOOKS TO BE THURSDAY AFTERNOON
INTO EARLY FRIDAY. THERE IS CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY AS TO WHERE
THE HEAVIEST RAIN MAY FALL. AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS THAT
WIDESPREAD RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 0.25 TO 0.5 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE
NORTHWEST OREGON VALLEYS AND FOOTHILLS...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS IN
EXCESS OF 1 INCH IN ANY THUNDERSTORMS. UP TO 2 INCHES OR SLIGHTLY MORE COULD
OCCUR IN THE SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON CASCADES...1.5 INCHES IN THE
OREGON CASCADES. THE LIGHTEST AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED SOUTH AND WEST
OF SALEM.
EXCESSIVE RAINFALL RATES CAN OVERWHELM STORM DRAINAGE IN URBAN
AREAS...LEADING TO URBAN FLOODING. THIS CAN ALSO RESULT IN
FLOODING OF SMALL STREAMS.

We had a nice flash flood/rain event one week ago as well. I love the heavy rainstorms. We get way tired of the 30 day drizzle events.

Its drizzling here today. Classic PNW moisture event. I have the stove going with a small load of wood to take the chill off the house. The heavy rain right now is in a wide swath from Eugene to K-Falls. Supposed to blow over by Saturday and get hot and summery again next week.

THE LIGHTEST AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED SOUTH AND WEST OF SALEM.

Man, were they ever wrong! Salem and just southwest of there got absolutely hammered today. Salem had about 2 inches of rain, and some areas around it had up to 4 inches. We had much less rain father north and east. Washington state is getting hammered tonight, and the rain is supposed to drift back south here in a few more hours. I got maybe a half inch of rain here, mostly just drizzle and thunder.

Some guy on a motorcycle got hit by lightning in Chehalis, WA today. He survived...

I could see by the radar that Salem was getting hammered. Around 6pm it was at the center of the low. We didn't get hit too bad here. So far we have about 1.5" over the last 24 hrs. The ground is very dry and the rivers are low so it should soak up well.

We got about an inch last nigh here, but the higher Cascades got a lot more rain and the rivers are running pretty high today. Lots of local flooding here on the news today.

Status
Not open for further replies.