Yes, its another PNW wood ID thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

OK, this is a another western wood species. And yes, we have an endless supply of tree species here that you guys back east and in the Midwest have likely never seen, never burned, or never even heard of.

This is fresh cut, and no, this is NOT red or Siberian elm. :p

fwood.jpg

Reactions: zap
Moss maple. :)

Alder would be my "guess".

Reactions: Shane N
Red alder? I saw some cut up in a yard when i was in Mukilteo for a month. Remember asking what it was. Also remember redhook, my first sushi and
Ivaar's salmon omelettes. Loved it out there, almost dumped my sweetheart to become a bigfoot.

Reactions: ScotO
Moss maple? I dunno what that is... most trees have moss growing on them around here, or lichen.

Yes, it is indeed red alder, Alnus rubra, (as opposed to white alder, which is less common and grows at higher elevation). I thought I wood throw an easy one out there... The wood is a deep reddish orange when cut. Loggers complain about their being covered in orange sap after cutting them. They also tend to barber chair when cut. It is a light wood, not great for heat, but for BBQ and smoking meat with, it is my favorite wood, and is the traditional wood for smoking salmon with in the PNW. It is a money tree here, and commands the same prices as Doug fir peeler logs at the mills. The wood is commonly used in cabinet making. Red alder grows along the Pacific coast from about Santa Barbara to southern Alaska. It also grows in the Idaho panhandle.

Here is your prize money:

jamaican dollar.jpg

WooHoo!
But how did Leonid Brezhnev get on the Jamaican dollar bill? ;hm Must have something to do with that bobsledding team.

That is Sir William Alexander Clarke Bustamante, the first prime minister of Jamaica.

Perhaps they need a Jamaican dollar note with the bobsled team on one side, and Rastafarian in dreads smoking some weed on the other? With the motto: In Ganja We Trust, Mon

Reactions: osagebow
Alder is what I have an abundance of on my property and burn a ton of it. Does just fine for heat in my house (during the day, not an overnight type of wood.) Easiest splitting wood ever.

And here I was gonna guess Hognutted Pfifferskin......:p
Just a guess, though.;) I've never seen red alder (or any alder, for that matter). Keep 'em coming, Stihlhead.......

Alder is not highly regarded as an ornamental. It tends to grow upright and not look that great, so you are not likely to see it out of its native habitat along the west coast. Its a species to take note of though. It grows fast and is the first to sprout and get established in any logged area around here. Farther north it grows more like a shrub (in Alaska). Here it grows to millable/peeler size, upward of 2 feet DBH.

I am eating alder smoked chicken right now. Good eats.

Status
Not open for further replies.