Yet another Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
I know these are rather crappy pictures but they are what the seller has posted. Any ideas as to what species I have here. The wood is located about 25 miles from home and I'm not in dire need, but I will travel for the right stuff. The yellow/orange sapwood has me a little excited.
Picture 3 is from a different ad from the same seller, may or may not be the same tree.
I have texted the seller asking about it, waiting on his reply.
wood1.jpg wood2.jpg wood3.jpg

Ash or Red Maple. Tough to tell from photos but to me it looks more like a Maple than anything. If it were me I would be grabbing it as it doesn't look to be anything soft.

Seller just got back to me. Says its gone. Oh well.

Thanks guys

Smaller diameter stuff looks like red maple.

So the seller got back to me. Turns out the main trunk pieces shown in picture 3 was still available so I grabbed it.

I'm thinking it's box elder. The branches laying around had opposite branching, and tons of seed pods laying about.
Not a horrible wood, on par with silver maple.
Looking at the yard, there will be more to come. A serious leaner looking to take out the back fence and the house behind. Another leaner heading for the sellers place.

@jackatc1 - Yes, it's a yard tree, that's all there is around here. Forest cutting permits will put me easy 100+ miles out for cedar, cottonwood, fir or pine. Yes, some hardware but I seem to have missed it all getting it bucked up. Not nearly as much hardware as the black locust I picked up a few months back, fence line tree with chain link inside. That's what the sawzall is for.