Yo! Horizontal This.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0145.jpg IMG_0146.jpg IMG_0148.jpg

Your splitter BB? Reminds me of our pile driver - but small scale:cool: Do you have less misadventures with wood not falling where it is supposed to?

Yeah Jags. What do ya do with the half that falls on the other side from the log lift? ;lol

The real pain is that the electric company asked how long I wanted the rounds when they bucked the red oak. Told them sixteen to eighteen would be fine. This butt piece and most of the rest they bucked at 24". Would have had less work to do if I had bucked out the tree myself. Stove will hold 20" if ya grease the ends of the splits and use a hammer.

Yeah Jags. What do ya do with the half that falls on the other side from the log lift?
3/4 rolls to the work table while I work up the quarter in my hand. Slide it back over and bust off another piece. Flat plate makes wood slide easy.

What did you do after your first split? ;lol
sumo.jpg

I knew I would be sorry someday back when I posed for that picture.

I have a Ramsplitter vert/horizontal and I love it. One problem I have with the vert is that I am in a lot of big 2ft + dead beetle killed ponderosa pine that have the outer sapwood beginning to go punk to the point that the 7 in. wedge can not reach the relatively good heart wood, and the round starts to mush out for the initial split.

In that case I put in a steel wedge into the heart wood and alternate tapping the hydraulic and giving the wedge a lick until the crack extends through the round. Then the hydraulics does the rest.

The other thing I do is put a few 2X6's under the round so it sits level on the bottom plate.

The real pain is that the electric company asked how long I wanted the rounds when they bucked the red oak. Told them sixteen to eighteen would be fine. This butt piece and most of the rest they bucked at 24". Would have had less work to do if I had bucked out the tree myself. Stove will hold 20" if ya grease the ends of the splits and use a hammer.
I am far enough ahead I only take wood when I can buck it myself. I hate odd size pieces... stack poorly, annoying to recut, can't fill the stove all the way... more trouble than they're worth.

With it laying in the yard and them volunteering to buck that big sucker, there was no way I was gonna send them on their way.

Wood that has gone punky in spots was easier splitting in the extreme cold of winter - most machinery isn't fond of those temps though...

Punky wasn't a problem with this bad boy, or the two that used to stand on top of it. Moving that heavy wet red oak sucker was the problem. Old and a worn out 172 pounds were more the issue.

Mostly the post is for those folks that ask "How big a splitter do I need?". That 1988 22 ton splitter has been doing ones like that, for well, since 1988.

Reactions: Jags and Lake Girl
With it laying in the yard and them volunteering to buck that big sucker, there was no way I was gonna send them on their way.
Bet you will next time! I've had the same experience, but it took me a few times to learn my lesson.

Usually tree crews just cut in weird random lengths. I should have known what was going to happen. When they dropped the main section after topping it they were all in the woods on the rope. I had to yell at the foreman and get him up there because the guy dropping it was totally screwing up the back cut. And the foreman agreed. Could have destroyed their "Bigfoot" boom truck.

And of course he was the same one they left to buck it out after I had to leave to be somewhere else. :mad:

Now that's my kinda wood scoreBB. I think the guy that bucked it got a little payback on ya. Gotta love that red oak!

I'll do it!
Rolled a Maple like Jags photo up on the little Ryobi when I first got it.
Talk about chipping away at the outside.

Wood that has gone punky in spots was easier splitting in the extreme cold of winter - most machinery isn't fond of those temps though...
The only gripe I have with my Huskee 22-ton is that there's no choke lever, just a primer bulb. I've gotten reasonably good at starting it cold, which translates to priming, pulling, and then getting back on that primer bulb real fast with a pump every few seconds for the first half minute.

Just because I can't pass up an opportunity to post these one more time... here are some 49" diameter oak rounds I brought home after Hurricane Sandy. They came from a tree that measured about 60" DBH, which broke off about 15 - 20 feet up. The 60" stuff located below the 15 foot mark was hollow core, but everything under 50" diameter up high was solid.

IMG_0462.jpg IMG_1252.jpg

The largest three of those rounds weighed 1500 lb. each, so they did NOT go on the splitter whole. However, all these 24" diameter oak you see stacked on the real big ones did!

IMG_1410.jpg

Reactions: CrufflerJJ

That's why I Love my 16 T. electric.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Wow, my back hurts just looking at the pics - good work men

The largest three of those rounds weighed 1500 lb. each...

Good gawd I could hollow out that big round, install a stove, and move in...

I had to hire a laboror for an 8 hour day to go thru a pile of those monsters. i swear each round was 300LB Took the both of us to to roll em up to the splitter and plop em down. Got that 32ton splitter stuck a few times too

Winter is too cold and long up here to grow trees that big. Thank goodness! And I saved a bundle not needing a tractor too!

The only gripe I have with my Huskee 22-ton is that there's no choke lever, just a primer bulb. I've gotten reasonably good at starting it cold, which translates to priming, pulling, and then getting back on that primer bulb real fast with a pump every few seconds for the first half minute.
Ha Ha. Went through this exact exercise the other night when it was about 10 Deg out and splitter had not been started since fall. Damn I wish there was a choke on this thing. Last winter just couldn't get it started at one point and finally wrapped it in warming pad for about two days and finally got it started.

Ha Ha. Went through this exact exercise the other night when it was about 10 Deg out and splitter had not been started since fall. Damn I wish there was a choke on this thing. Last winter just couldn't get it started at one point and finally wrapped it in warming pad for about two days and finally got it started.

When it is cold out I have to constantly push the primer bulb while it is running til it gets warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.