you guys Rock!! the 30 NC is installed and my room is 69 degrees!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slickschoppers

Dec 1, 2017
iowa
First off, HUGE THANKS to everyone for answering my questions, and helping a newbie out!!

I got the steel roof kit installed today, the chimney put in, the stove in place, and fired up!!

It was all wrapped up about 3pm today, and by 3:30 we had a fire going.

(last night per many peoples suggestions I pulled the truck out, put 9 feet of single wall on the stove and lit some fires cure the paint.. THANK YOU GUYS.. the smoke ROLLED off of it for about a half hour,, and then still smoked on and off for a couple more..... WOW did it stink!! but at least it was OUTSIDE!!!)

I didn't load up the stove too high,, we started a reasonable fire, and let it warm up..... got to about 500 degrees, shut the door all the way, lever all the way out. pushed the lever in so the handle was about level with the ash tray, and the secondaries kicked on for a while.

I added wood a few more times.... like I said,, not a HUGE load.. I guess maybe call it a medium load?

I only added a few small splits at a time....

the room is one huge room, with 10 foot ceilings. it took a few hours, but we got it up to 69 degrees, I burned Elm, Ash, and Maple. the elm is the dryest at 16%, the ash and maple are 21 to 22%,,,, only smaller pieces as it's brand new install I wanted to check draft, leaks, temp, chimney, ect....it all seemed to burn well....

I noticed that the lever doesn't seem to make much of a difference what position it is in.. opening, closing, or cracking the door makes a HUGE difference....... the dog house is blowing hot air, and the draft seems good... but the lever doesn't really seem to do very much...... I'll just have to figure out how to run it I'm sure....

I'll have more updates as I go but just wanted to say,, thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• 20171220_192727.jpg
    20171220_192727.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 223
You have probably already heard it but get to cutting,splitting and stacking! Well seasoned wood makes for a enjoyable burning experience.Enjoy that new stove!

Congrats on the new install.

On my 30, the air control doesn't seem to do much until it gets about half way in. After that it will. And if it's below freezing, ill have that completely closed by the time I'm done shutting down.

you could have an air leak, I think many had flat gaskets. I found on here you can knead it along the sides and puff it up. mine has been fine since. you can do the dollar test should close it so it can move when you got the handle latched down

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t help you but wanted to say yeah! It’s a sweet feeling to heat with wood. I’ve enjoyed many wood heaters over the years but for the last month after a new install I’ve been able to heat our new-to-us house completely with wood and boy it’s awesome to know with a little work and the right resources you can be self reliant for heat. No more freezing during power outages or furnace troubles or or or...

Enjoy!

PS hope you can dial it in in short order.
First off, HUGE THANKS to everyone for answering my questions, and helping a newbie out!!

I got the steel roof kit installed today, the chimney put in, the stove in place, and fired up!!

It was all wrapped up about 3pm today, and by 3:30 we had a fire going.

(last night per many peoples suggestions I pulled the truck out, put 9 feet of single wall on the stove and lit some fires cure the paint.. THANK YOU GUYS.. the smoke ROLLED off of it for about a half hour,, and then still smoked on and off for a couple more..... WOW did it stink!! but at least it was OUTSIDE!!!)

I didn't load up the stove too high,, we started a reasonable fire, and let it warm up..... got to about 500 degrees, shut the door all the way, lever all the way out. pushed the lever in so the handle was about level with the ash tray, and the secondaries kicked on for a while.

I added wood a few more times.... like I said,, not a HUGE load.. I guess maybe call it a medium load?

I only added a few small splits at a time....

the room is one huge room, with 10 foot ceilings. it took a few hours, but we got it up to 69 degrees, I burned Elm, Ash, and Maple. the elm is the dryest at 16%, the ash and maple are 21 to 22%,,,, only smaller pieces as it's brand new install I wanted to check draft, leaks, temp, chimney, ect....it all seemed to burn well....

I noticed that the lever doesn't seem to make much of a difference what position it is in.. opening, closing, or cracking the door makes a HUGE difference....... the dog house is blowing hot air, and the draft seems good... but the lever doesn't really seem to do very much...... I'll just have to figure out how to run it I'm sure....

I'll have more updates as I go but just wanted to say,, thanks again everyone!!!