Yowza!! -9 for our high today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
It is a cool one today especially if your out in the 20 mph winds and it won’t go above zero until Thursday now. It’s a sunny day but I’ll pass on sunning myself for a low dose of vitamin D lol.... I have nice red oak in the stove pumping out the heat biggley that’s been seasoned a good 4 years now. Cheers!

We are not getting that cold here but much colder than normal...life is good when there is plenty of seasoned Oak on hand!

Reactions: WiscWoody
Where abouts is NW Wisconsin? It's not too nice in Hayward

It’s -5 F, here in Eau Claire, on its way down to negative 12. Time to load up, for the night. While it sucks working in this kind of cold, that stove always makes coming home just that little bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WiscWoody and Tar12
I don't get your way to often. We built a house last winter on perch lake for work and I've been through Winter on the wheelers a couple times. Pretty country over there.

20171226_072818.jpg
Tough start to today. Supposed to get up to -6. I guess winter is here.

Reactions: Woody Stover
We are getting some cold as well not that cold but single digits at night and nothing close to 20 till Friday. I have three plus year locust in my stoves now, this is where your stove is worth it's weight in gold.

Reactions: Tar12
Yep, this is good wood burning weather now. The stove runs good when it’s real cold out with a good bed of coals to light new splits easily. Sometimes I have to let the furnace take over for a few hours while I let the coals burn down for a clean out but I do it during the day when it’s warmest out and I have gloves ready to pick up the pan as some coals will still be hot for some time yet. I leave it outside to cool then.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ny/wilmington/KNYWILMI5?cm_ven=localwx_10day

the 10 day forecast for my little corner of the world. winter has arrived.
It looks like you’ll be getting more of our arctic cold weather later this week as we go above 0 again on Thursday but you stay below 0 on that day. And I think energy costs more out east, right now our LP is going for $1.55/g but I filled my tank last July for $1.19/g and I only fill it in the summer. Bundle up! Lol

We are getting some cold as well not that cold but single digits at night and nothing close to 20 till Friday. I have three plus year locust in my stoves now, this is where your stove is worth it's weight in gold.
Damn heavy hammer you do have some big saws.What are you cutting ?

View attachment 218960
A little chilly for us here in Indiana too! Got both wood stoves going and the pellet stove! Lol

Lol, I have -24::F out now. I’m running my one 2.5CF stove for a 3,000sf house. But I only keep it at 65 when it’s this cold to keep the condensation down some. And I built it myself and it is super insulated and tight as a drum. That is cold for mid-country though and I think many are in the cold now. Be careful and be prepared if your in a rural area driving like up here..._g

Lol, I have -24::F out now. I’m running my one 2.5CF stove for a 3,000sf house. But I only keep it at 65 when it’s this cold to keep the condensation down some. And I built it myself and it is super insulated and tight as a drum. That is cold for mid-country though and I think many are in the cold now. Be careful and be prepared if your in a rural area driving like up here..._g

Brrrr . . . even colder with the wind chill I'm guessing. At those temps I bet you're seeing machinery doing "funny" things . . . like taking off in a car and feeling as if the tires are blocks of ice, vehicles shifting (if at all at first) as if the transmission fluid has turned into molasses, etc. Makes one wish for balmy temps in the twenties . . . or even the teens. :)

And I thought a low of 3 degrees was looking cold !!!

great start to the day so far

7:28 AM EST on December 28, 2017 (GMT -0500) |Updated 3 minutes ago

-2° | -15°
-14 F
FEELS LIKE -13°
29.svg

Partly Cloudy

N
Wind SW

Gusts 5 mph

Today is forecast to be MUCH COOLER than yesterday.

We normally heat our house with just our insert, and the geo will run once in a while. But single digits and below 0 temps is a good reason to fire up the Ol’ grandma bear in the basement!

This morning. The NWS says the coldest air will arrive on Sunday. This is on the heels of feet of snowfall. I'm wondering why I live here....

Attachments

• 28 Dec 2017 Temp.jpg
    28 Dec 2017 Temp.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Temperature 28 Dec 17.JPG
    Temperature 28 Dec 17.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 120
We normally heat our house with just our insert, and the geo will run once in a while. But single digits and below 0 temps is a good reason to fire up the Ol’ grandma bear in the basement!

Hello neighbor...my little stove in the house doesn't keep up very well in the temps were seeing...just rambling to the wife today that I should move grandma bear from the shop into the house

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
-11 yesterday with the wind chill we got a bunch of snow too. 0.7 actual temp now of course that when crap breaks, thankfully we are off this week so makes most of it not such a huge deal. the fuel pump went in the wifes car. got the truck driver to put it my unheated garage but i have an old 150k torpedo. but it quit too. so now in order to be able to feel my fingers doing the job had to pay for the pro whatever at home depot, they are the only ones that had one left, box was mangled and it was expensive only reason it was still there.

so any way the stove i lit at like 630 all i have is ash, normal cold practice, close it down all the way like an hour later, normally on low it will bring the house thermo to 70s after lunch, was only like 67 after loading it every 4 hours or so when i went to bed

we're all making posts about how cold -14F is and guys like @Poindexter are just grinning thinking we don't know what real cold is ;lol
Nope, it is all about what you (and your insulation envelope) are prepared for. Cold weather you arent prepared for is no joke.

I remember a few years ago flying into seattle during the worst blizzard they had had in 40 years. Imagine folks in their mid fifties with zero experience driving in that much snow. Even the snow plow operators.

If you are not prepared to be out in it, and dont need to be out in it, stay home.