Yurt flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
My friends are putting up a yurt which is a considered a temporary installation, but the owners want it safe. They have a Morso 2110 stove and will follow combustion clearances.

Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? Lessons learned? What would you go with, conventional DuraTech? The owners are open to creative solutions as long as they stand the test of time and aesthetics. Single wall, double wall? Better thimble ideas, pipe recommendations are all welcome. Here's a link from one company's recommendation. I'll also post a picture of an existing yurt with the flue somewhat visible behind it.

http://www.coloradoyurt.com/yurts/yurt_design_center/stovepipe_install/index.php

Attachments

• yurt18.jpg
    yurt18.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 567
Everything from the wall pass-thru to the cap will need to be insulated chimney. The sketch shown on your posted link page shows the basics, but there's nothing shown to support the chimney, which must extend at least 2' above the highest point of the yurt.

There's a sketch of a chimney we designed for a yurt several years ago in our Sweep's Library at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoyurt.htm. The wood framing and top plate supported the chimney, even in severe winds. After he got it put together, the customer sided the chimney structure with some old barn wood he scavenged.

Thanks for the link. I found a diagram on the Colorado Yurt site that was similar. How does one use the cleanout tee on the masonry base? Is there a cleanout port?

We were brainstorming today about the support structure. How did the 2 x 4s work out in your plan? A 14' 2x4 seems a bit wobbly. Some folks have used old telephone poles or a 4" steel pole. I was wondering if a old sailboat mast could work? It would have the steps already built in!

Hey BeGreen,

When you use the anchor plate on top of the solid masonry support structure, the only access into the tee is through the snout: when you clean the chimney, you just disconnect the stovepipe and scoop / vacuum the swept-down creosote from there.

I never got to see the finished installation shown in the sketch, the yurt is on a tiny island in the Canadian San Juans without ferry service. We had originally designed the structure to remain open (just 2x4's, no siding) to present less of a wind-catcher as it gets really windy out there, but the owner decided to sheet and side it for aesthetics. Talked to him a couple of years ago (about 15 years after the installation), and the chimney structure was still standing, so I guess the 2x4's proved to be stout enough.

Sounds good. Adding the siding probably stiffened it up quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.