ZC issues with vibrations from the fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
i have an enviro 1700 installed in my ZC majestic SR42 fireplace.
the one and only issue i am having is that the thing has loud rattle at times when the fan is on. i am pretty sure it is because the sheet metal that is the frame of the actual CZ box is rattling due to the fan's vibrations. it is for the most part tolerable, however some times it gets very loud.
i assume this is not normal?
is there something i can do to fix this noise?
or is it something i just have to live with when burning wood.

oh and this whole wood burning thing KICKS ASS!
my house is 72 and it is 30 outside!!!
it will be interesting to see what this thing can do when it is 0 to -10 out in the dead of wisconsins winter.
thanks

Investigate the noise & see if you can isolate the culprit.
Once you figger out where the vibration is originating, tell us.
THEN we can suggest a remedy...

DAKSY said:
Investigate the noise & see if you can isolate the culprit.
Once you figger out where the vibration is originating, tell us.
THEN we can suggest a remedy...

it is very strange as it is not making the noise now, just running like a champ.
i did pay to have it installed so if the problem resurfaces with any bit of frequency i may just have them fix it...
unless the surrounds are not that hard to remove. i did not watch them too closely when they put that part on.

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help somebody else. I have a Venice 1700 and had the same problem. It turned out to be the air adjustment rod. The rod is not all that tight and if it's sitting just right then I get a rattle. By moving the rod forward or backward (not in or out) I have found that the noise stops. I think if the rod is sitting against the front or back of the guide then it knocks against it.

Hello.. I recently installed a Venice 1200, and am having the same issue with the fan. When the fireplace is cool, or just starting to heat up, the fan operates without noise. However, once the stove gets pretty hot (where the cast iron on the outside registers about 200 degrees), and when the fan blower is on high, the fan makes a rattling sound. I have to turn the fan to medium to get those noise/rattle to stop.

Any suggestions on a culprit? I thought it might be the surround, but its a pretty snug fit between the fireplace the the firebox.. it doesn't seem like there is any room for it to rattle. I thought it might be the fan itself, but the fan runs quietly when the box isn't 200+ degrees. The guy would installed it isn't sure what is causing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.. I tried that before I posted my message (I saw your previous post with that recommendation). Unfortunately, that rattle didn't stop. The installer is going to install a new fan.... he's not sure if that'll help.

Id bet dollars to donuts that your fan is just imbalanced due to ash buildup on it. It happens to mine every year. I take mine out, take it to the shop and blow all the ash out of the squirrel cage with compressed air. You wont believe how smooth it runs afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.