Zero Clearance stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Brown

Sep 12, 2013
Morgan Hill, CA
We recently moved into a townhouse that was built in 1978. We love woodstoves and want to install an insert in the current fireplace. Here's the problem. It's a Zero Clearance fireplace. I'd love to put an old school Lopi in but worry about burning the house down. The metal plate on the side of the fireplace says "Manufactured by Marco model # DF36-B" I'm a do it yourself kind of guy and was hoping to find something on Craigslist and then hiring someone to do a professional install. My budget is $2000
Can it be done for this? Or am I just being too cheap and unrealistic?
Thanks
Luke

In the perfect world the Insert needs to be certified for install in that model Pre-fab.

You need to look at inserts that are specifically designed to go in a zero clearance fireplace, and they are not cheap, your budget alone would be busted with the insert, then you have to buy the 6" stainless liner to run down the triple wall chimney. Another bad thing is most ZC rated inserts have a small firebox and need to be tended to more regularly than a regular sized insert.

Other options would be to install a free standing stove in front of the fireplace and rear vent it into a 6" liner run down to a tee in the firebox, and the other would be to rip out the entire zero clearance system.

Of course you could just ignore all this "code" talk and just throw some old lopi in there, but remember you have wood studs and other combustibles close by and if the insert going in that firebox is not engineered for that purpose you stand a chance of burning the house down, and believe me the insurance company will love you because they will be able to deny the claim.

I would save up and do it properly.

Last edited:
You lost me at craigslist find. In order to put an insert in a zc fireplace the insert must first fit and it must be approved for this application. The odds of finding this used are fairly low. The install is also going to include a stainless liner. That could add $1500 right there for a professional install or more.

In the perfect world the Insert needs to be certified for install in that model Pre-fab.

You need to look at inserts that are specifically designed to go in a zero clearance fireplace

I believe this point was made before but there are no certification for insert installs into ZC. There's nothing to test to since there are no protocols or certification available from ASTM, UL etc...

Some MFG will "allow" their inserts to be used in some specific ZC's. How they go about choosing which they recommend is anyones guess and they probably have internal process to approve it.

I just thought this is a myth that needs debunking once and for all...

Whenever I read a post where someone has just purchased home with existing wood stove / fireplace / etc my fuzzy brain automatically starts thinking about interesting things hiding in the cracks. I can't give you the kind of advice the veterans here will give you (I'm pretty much clueless on inserts, liners, zc fireplaces, etc.) and it's easy for me to spend your $$, but I'm paranoid about the box of fire. If you like DIY, my 2c is to give the options from mellow some thought. If it were me, I'd grab the tools, rip it out, build a nice little hearth for a free-standing unit, etc. Work a decent used freestanding stove deal into the picture, and with your sweat equity, you may not be too far off budget wise...? I dunno. Good luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.