Zero Clearance vs Insert for Fireplace with Wall Extension???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kiellunsford

Dec 4, 2020
Seattle
Hi all,

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement, and I have a question I cannot seem to answer by researching online:

I have extended my fireplace surround from the original masonry chimney stack by approximately 16" (metal framed wall with cultured stone veneer). I intend to install a gas fireplace in the opening where the original wood burning fireplace was located. I had intended to install a Heat&Glo SUPREME-I35-IFT insert into this space, but I just noticed that it says I can only extend the wall 12".

Alternatively, I looked at installing a zero-clearance unit (Heat & Glo SL-7). However, I understand that these need to be installed prior to cement board/masonry veneer. Is this understanding correct? I'm supposed to have the masonry installed this weekend, and I think my wife will kill me in my sleep if we don't get this done.

Is there a safety concern with using an insert in this situation? Is it possible to install the SL-7 after the masonry is installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kiel