1995 Spectrum Classic, good price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankhay

Aug 31, 2015
Bancroft, Ontario
Hi All.

I'm looking at a 20-year-old Pacific Energy Spectrum and I'm hoping to get some context for the price. It's had some work done on it: new side rails, baffle pin, and blankets. Assuming that the baffle itself is in decent shape, I'm gonna offer $700 (CDN). I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether a stove that old is worth getting into, and at what price.

Thanks.

Here is the pricing for a new stove for comparison: https://chimneysweeponline.com/pacspecc.htm

If that stove has been used regularly then it is probably close to the end of its lifespan. Not sure if I would still pay $700 for it.

Here is the pricing for a new stove for comparison: https://chimneysweeponline.com/pacspecc.htm

If that stove has been used regularly then it is probably close to the end of its lifespan. Not sure if I would still pay $700 for it.

Thanks for the reply. For my own understanding, what sort of deal-breaker problems would you expect from a stove of that vintage? What makes it the end of its useful lifespan?

Start a conversation with Tom Oyen @thechimneysweep. I think he is running a Spectrum that is older than that one. He knows the stove and the changes it has undergone better than anyone.

Cracks in the firebox would be a deal-breaker. If none, I would offer $500 and put in a new stainless baffle box if this still has the older style steel baffle. Otherwise I would spring for a new stove. The additional cost amortized over 20 yrs is small. If pennies are tight consider getting a new PE TN19 TN20 for about $800 1000, but the Spectrum is what I would go for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.