Any chimney/pipe experts out there? Trying to get hearth/new stove up to code!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I believe you guys are correct about the wall, it is real stone but I do think it is just an overlay, as in there are studs behind it. I will get some more pics up, once it hits the wall it does transition to a liner, I will get some pics, but if I put in double wall stove pipe this will reduce the clearances?

WoodPyro said:
if I put in double wall stove pipe this will reduce the clearances?

Yes.

Ok, read through the manual some more, I believe the side and front floor clearances will be ok, maybe an inch short on the front which is alleviated by the height actually. If I hit double wall stove pipe I think I may be ok, anyone know a good place to get this? Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Anyone see any other problems?

Don't know if anyone mentioned this or not . . . but it also appears as though the hearth is too small for the existing stove . . . in terms of how far it extends out the front . . . maybe it's the pic, but the distance in the front where the stove is loaded looks a lot less than 16-18 inches.

WoodPyro said:
18 inches even to the uncombustible surface? It goes to like 2 or 3 inches where the pipe actually goes into the wall, seems a bit ridiculous to my ignorant mind.

What matters is the distance to the combustibles behind the single-wall pipe. Brick and stone can conduct heat pretty well.

firefighterjake said:
Don't know if anyone mentioned this or not . . . but it also appears as though the hearth is too small for the existing stove . . . in terms of how far it extends out the front . . . maybe it's the pic, but the distance in the front where the stove is loaded looks a lot less than 16-18 inches.

yeah thats what i was looking at as well, but the picture's angle could be deceptive. at least the OP is being classy about it and absorbing the info from our members.

as for the facia the real question is whats under it , hopefully it was layered in micore or similar prior to he application of the stone facia

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the comments, especially the classy compliment! I am going to take pics right now, I really have no clue how to connect the wall pipe to my chimney as I think different class a pipe has different types of connections? BRB with pics.

Ok firstly, yes I know there is a lot of creosote, I guess that's what you get with a old smoke dragon, not really seasoned wood, and ya tamp it down for overnight burns. I do clean it very regularly during the burning season, got my own brushes and rods and what not. Anyways, looks like triple wall pipe I guess, does anyone know what kind or what brand would be able to put a section through before hooking up to my double wall stove pipe? I cannot tell what is behind the face of the stone, all the cracks are mortared and what not, any advice, preferably with web links would be great. Thanks, James

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 219
Two more....

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 222
Also, is there maybe any chance this is an insulated type wall thimble and can just plug the double wall pipe into it? Prolly not..... Thanks, James

WoodPyro said:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the comments, especially the classy compliment! I am going to take pics right now, I really have no clue how to connect the wall pipe to my chimney as I think different class a pipe has different types of connections? BRB with pics.

Mike was being very serious . . . sometimes we see new folks come here, post the pics and ask for advice . . . and then not like what we have to say or the advice we've given . . . and honestly, sometimes it almost looks as though folks are "beating" up on the poster when in fact most are simply pointing out potential issues . . . some folks don't respond very well to the solicited advice since it wasn't what they wanted to hear . . . you're definitely different than many . . . stick around . . . you should fit in well here.

Hello all,
I had sort of an evolution of thought due to me getting a new wood stove and posting pics of my current setups and some members being very helpful and enlightening me as to certain codes. My problem is I am not really sure what I need to go through my wall to hook up the chimney and the stove. If anyone is knowledgeable about different pipes or pieces, the thread is here

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58307/P0/

If you could please either comment in that thread or this one I would really like to start figuring this out. Thanks, James

I merged the threads so everybody doesn't have to jump back and forth.

Ok, I think I renamed the thread, just haven't gotten any advice on the through the wall issue, anyone have any clue?

I handled that situation with a Simpson thimble. My issue was a 5.5" liner so the six inch extension in the thimble kit fit over the 5.5" pipe. I packed the first three inches between them with stove gasket and then locked it in with furnace cement. In your case I would use a stainless adapter that fits inside, yes I know the drip down concern but that stuff is going to end up in the tee, the pipe that is there and that will mate up to your connector pipe inside.

Edit: I just looked back at that thimble pic with the stove pulled out. You have a 8" pipe in that wall just like the 8" crock I have. A stainless 8" to 6" adapter that mates up to your connector pipe will handle it just fine.

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart, I was getting ready to be like, what is this guy talking about 8 inches? and forgot that I did have to put the 8 to 6 adapter on it, so sharp eye there. Does it need to be class a adapter or double wall because this is all I have found so far.

http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/reducers_increasers.htm

Also found this.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/1992/product/Heat-Fab-304-SS-Increaser;-6in(M)-8in(F).html

Were it me I would treat that eight inch pipe just like a ceramic "crock" going through the wall like mine does. I would install a SS six inch pipe through it going even with where the eight inch ends at the tee. Then attach my six inch connector pipe to that and secure it.

I am sure the pros on here have other ideas.

Danno77 said:
if nothing else, do it so you can watch the fire. I love being able to see the fire!

Ain't it the whole reason for the wood burnin' season?

The problem is the 6 inch class A pipe is 10 inches in outer diameter so it will not fit into the 8 inch pipe I currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.