1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning ash wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wallycat, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    I think you misunderstood me. The 24 was the fresh re-split side (our neighbor that helps me forgets I need small splits for my stove, not large like he can burn) I measured it when I re-split it, the 19 was a day later, after being near the stove for a day, same side :) For the record, he burns ash in his Oslo right after he cuts it. If I do that, I get more sizzle than a pan of bacon!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Yes that is what I understood. To my knowledge, waiting even one day without resplitting (rerespliting if it has already been resplit) will result in an erroneous reading. As I understand it, the reading is valid only immediately after splitting. It must be taken within minutes, not hours. Anything else will result in a low reading due to the rapid evaporation of the surface moisture as soon as it is exposed to the air. I am suggesting, therefore, that the 19 was not representative of the interior of the split.
  3. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I've tried to hasten seasoning by bringing wood indoors and putting close to the insert. I have not had any luck at all. I have had luck in an open fireplace putting 4-5 splits vertically inside the fireplace...not in the fire, but dang close. Close enough that I've caught one on fire before. Mind you I did not test these for moisture, just noticed a drastic reduction in hissing when adding them to the flames after a bit.
  4. HJsimpson

HJsimpson Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Indiana
    This is my first winter heating with soley ash and im really enjoying it. I currently have 21 cords of it and adding more each week so i will get to try some 2 to 3 year seasoned eventually. Splits geat and low on ash but since i have yet to burn or cut any oak i really cant compare. I have another 5 cords of mulberry, hard maple, hickory and walnut but with the amount of dying ash those stacks are not getting bigger yet. Sure beats the white elm i used for the last 2 winters.
  5. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    I really like ash; this is my first year burning it. I would readily consider swapping out half of my oak cord-for-cord for ash as it seasons quicker than white oak and burns really well.
    Richprint29 likes this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Ash will drop 5% mc in a day split small ,stacked near stove, and it WAS re split before testing.
    A ash tree standing dead, for a couple of years can have a MC of 16%, cut some down that was 16%, and burned it a month ago
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    If I had to pick only one tree species to burn it would be ash . . . it's not up there like black locust, oak, etc. . . . but it seasons quickly, splits like a dream usually and is just a good all-around wood.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Cut down an ash and it should be around 35% on the moisture and no way would it drop 5-8% in a day!
    etiger2007 likes this.
  9. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Beg to differ, maybe where you live the climate makes a difference but for months now I've been tackling an 85 ft ash tree that fell on our house during Sandy and was removed with a crane, cut into chunks and are now about 30"wide by 35"+ across rounds. On a 27 ton splitter, right off the bar they are measuring 28 at the highest so far. This was not a dead tree, just huge. Even though it's been cut a few times now, even covered with snow last week, these suckers are dry. I split today, burning now, no sizzle, nothing but BTUs in my little stove.
  10. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    At 25% MC to start, then split small , stacked near stove, with fan on it, it will drop 5%, but no more, in 24 hours. If it was 35% to start IDK
  11. The Beagler

The Beagler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern Ky
    Great wood...have some I am burning this winter. More next year. A lot of dead/dying ash down here in Northern Ky.
  12. oldspark

oldspark Guest

There is nothing like a good piece of Ash.
    AJS56 likes this.
  13. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    No one more than me! LOL.
    HDRock likes this.
  14. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I just have not had that luck with dead ash yet. I had a huge one right up near the house when I bought it. I tried to negotiate having it taken down as part of the purchase agreement, but the previous owner didn't budge citing that it had been that way for years and not dropped a limb. Had it taken down and the MC was all 25+. Have two more dead ones bordering the road at the power lines that need taking down. Might push the town to do it since it's technically on the town easement. Perhaps I'll have better luck with those. Much smaller diameter than the 3.5 foot one. Was actually planning on splitting some from my driveway stacks and from my porch and comparing MC. Both were cut in March. One batch was split in August and other October. I suspect the October splits are in better shape moisture wise since they've been out in the open and it stays pretty windy around here.
  15. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Probably not going to have that luck with a big O 3.5 foot diameter,
    Sorry , I should have stated , the one I was speaking of ,that I cut down was a , weenie 12"diameter, ;lol
  16. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Ash wood wet and Ash wood dry
    A King shall warm his slippers by
    HDRock likes this.
  17. Kevin Dolan

Kevin Dolan Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SW Ontario
    Totally agree with backwoods, we burn a lot of ash and it needs to be split and stacked for two years, best for burning in the EPA stoves. A friend of mine has an outdoor stove and told me he cuts and burns green ash in it no problem, his chimney is 4 feet and creosote is not a problem. I have some 3 year seasoned ash in a pile and tried burning it recently and it was still 25% moisture, so piling has its issues rather than stacking. But I love white ash for burning properly seasoned.
    Kevin
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Kennedyville, MD
    this is awsome news! i have 2-3 cords of cut ash at the house. i plan on using it next year, i hope to let my oak/locust stash sit for another year.
  19. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Yep you can burn green ash that has just been cut and you can also burn old tires, dont make it right.
    Kevin Dolan and Backwoods Savage like this.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Okay.
  21. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    Amen. As many have said in many ways here, ash kicks ash.