Class A Chimney Pipe - Sticker...Remove or Not??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
This may end up being a very silly question. I'm sitting in my living room looking at a couple sections of class A chimney pipe as well as other chimney components. I started my install but had to weather in because of tons of rain, thus temporarily halting my install. And I digress. Anyway, I'm looking at these components, each with a sticker on them. Do I need to remove these stickers?? Or can they remain on the chimney pipe and other parts?

Thanks.

On my second floor my class a pipe goes right through my walk in closet..sticker with the arrow up is still there..over 24 years it's been there..lol.

HotCoals said:
On my second floor my class a pipe goes right through my walk in closet..sticker with the arrow up is still there..over 24 years it's been there..lol.

Yeah. So funny. I just found a post that the exterior of the class A chimney pipe gets only about 130 F. If I take that post at face value, then the stickers would not be an issue.

My clothes are hanging less then a foot from the pipe if that tells you anything...it says on the sticker two inches from combustibles.
I have noticed less heat from the pipe with the cat stove...I get dressed in there when it's really cold..lol.

My stickers are still on the Class A and the double wall chimney pipe. I left them on.....specifically because I figured as long as they are in good shape they aren't getting to hot! I don't trust any specs tested or not, until I test them myself. Just me, just my nature, just my profession.

The sticker is still on my single wall flue, but the installer spray painted the pipe black. If I remove the sticker, I'll have a bright silver rectangle staring at me, instead of a matte black one. Sigh...

DanCorcoran said:
The sticker is still on my single wall flue, but the installer spray painted the pipe black. If I remove the sticker, I'll have a bright silver rectangle staring at me, instead of a matte black one. Sigh...

LOL that is exactly what I have. Damn sticker peeled a smidge, me being the idiot I am I helped it along when the pipe was a bit hot, and now I have a silver rectangle rather than a white sticker. Ah well.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.