Creosote Build-Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
This past weekend I was at a relatives house and he started up his wood burning fireplace insert, a "Fireplace Xtrordinar" that was installed by a dealer for the insert. After looking at the inside of the insert I made the comment that I thought he might not be burning it hot enough as it appeared, to me, there was a huge build up of creosote on the sides and the glass. As a matter of fact the entire inside looked like it had a thick coating of shinning black tar all over everything. He told me that the dealer told him to expect that. When the stove was burning wood you could not see through the glass at all to even know there was a fire burning. I will attempt to post a photo of the inside of the glass. What do you all think?
IMG_0967.jpg

Is he burning seasoned wood?

Unfortunately most people don't know what seasoned wood is IMO. They believe whatever the seller told them. The real question is, what's the moisture content of hi wood and does he burn the insert on high one for at least 30 minutes each firing? Definetly creosote. Ask him when his chimney was cleaned last.

I'd tell them to get that inspected ASAP before using again so I don't see the house (or what's left of it) on channel 2, 4, and/or 7. Even more so if they have kids.

Should be done by someone that is CSIA certified. There's several that service the Detroit area, that is if they live around here and not somewhere else.

You've got the shiny stuff (real bad) on the brick that's there next to the door...who knows what the chimney looks like.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for your help and replies. I will tell him that it should get inspected by a professional soon.

Holy Moly! "Houston. We have ignition!"_g Gulp. Betcha he's burning very wet stuff. Hard to get that buildup with dry. Even in my BK that is notorious for it! Wet will do it however. I quit burning wet loooooong before it got like that. Be safe! Live and learn. Thanks for the pics.

I looked on the manufactures site and the best I could tell these were a secondary burn type stove. I could be wrong, only didba quick browse in a manual for one of the fireplace inserts...

You can tell your relative that my installer told me that I should read the whole manual that comes with my insert. Simple ,but priceless advice for me. I can't imagine your relative did.

I'll bet he is damping it down as soon as a fire gets going. Probably gets too warm in the room. Maybe he could mix in some wood bricks from Tractor Supply with his regular wood if it is too wet. And let him know to let the fire burn hot for a while (open a window if it gets too hot). The glass should clean up with a hot fire.
It would scare me to know creosote was possibly going to start leaking somewhere behind the stove, a house fire waiting to happen.

Honestly if the stove is a cat stove, depending on the brand I would say it could go either way, when I burn with my BK low and slow for a couple weeks (shoulder season) and don't do a weekly ripping hot fire for 30min the inside of my stove starts looking like that, fresh shiny tar, my chimney on the other hand stays very clean, if it turns out that he has a BK then he might be ok, I cant really tell from the pic with the door gasket, but that knife edge looks very BKish.

Honestly if the stove is a cat stove, depending on the brand I would say it could go either way, when I burn with my BK low and slow for a couple weeks (shoulder season) and don't do a weekly ripping hot fire for 30min the inside of my stove starts looking like that, fresh shiny tar, my chimney on the other hand stays very clean, if it turns out that he has a BK then he might be ok, I cant really tell from the pic with the door gasket, but that knife edge looks very BKish.
Read the OP's posts he tells us what stove it is in the first one.

Read the OP's posts he tells us what stove it is in the first one.
LOL I thought that was the installing company, goggled it and those look like nice inserts, and yes, im now hedging on wet wood, that chimney probably needs a good cleaning also.