Damper for a englander 13nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captjack

Jan 24, 2009
Eastern Shore of MD
I have installed a 13nc and was wondering if I should install and damper in the pipe or leave it out. A guy at the local stove shop said it was not needed.

Any thoughts ?? im still on the learning curve with this little stove

The only reason you might need one is if it turns out your setup has excessive draft. You might just go ahead and start burning the stove without a damper and see how it performs. If it turns out you have trouble controlling the burn, you can always add a damper into the stovepipe later. Rick

I dont think I have an over burn sit-che-ation the chimney is only about 12 feet in length. It is on the 2nd floor how ever and the wind around here is constant.

I am going to add another section of chimney pipe and brace for the roof next week, just to get it a little longer

I am not sure about how hot this stove should run. I am guessing around 300-500f ??

Yeah, I'd say adding a length of chimney's a good move. BrotherBart is the King of Englander, he can address the temp question for you. Rick

Don't have a 13 but I have it's big brother and 400-500 should give you a nice clean burn in it. Some people that have them should be along to give advice.

With a 12 foot stack forget about a pipe damper. Your problem will be getting enough draft going, not slowing it down.

i just measured it - the chimney is a whopping 8.5 feet !! i guess i need to get another pipe pipe section.

Both of my steel stoves (neither an Englander) have single wall stovepipe attached. I monitor temps with magnetic thermometers stuck on the stovepipe just above the stove collars, so I'm not talking stovetop temps. I like, during the productive phase of the burn, to see 400F-500F on those thermometers. Higher than that, I'll typically damp down the primary (if not already shut). Lower than that, particularly as the burn cycle "ages", I'll begin to give it more air to burn the coals down in prep for reloading. I can't imagine that the 13 would perfom a heck of a lot differently. Of course, if you're burning nice hardwood, your burn cycles will be longer than mine, but other than that it oughta just be burnin' wood. Rick

captjack said:
i just measured it - the chimney is a whopping 8.5 feet !! i guess i need to get another pipe pipe section.

I think I'd start by adding 6 feet. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.