Damper help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I'm writing this after seeing oldsparks thread. In my yotul 400 I am having trouble most of the time getting the stove top temps above 550. I still need to get a pipe thermo, which I will get alittle later. What kind of damper should I get. I have double wall stove pipe. Any pictures and/or type of damper would be helpful, along with install how to's. Thx

I'd suggest you doing a search for damper or pipe damper and reading a few older threads on the topic. They change the dynamics of the air moving through the stove and may not increase stove top temps. In general, they are for excessive draft conditions.

pen

But several people have reported the increase in temps so YRMV! If however you think you have too much draft (high flue temps) it could very well increase the stove top temp.

oldspark said:
But several people have reported the increase in temps so YRMV! If however you think you have too much draft (high flue temps) it could very well increase the stove top temp.
Just go change your gaskets! lol

HotCoals said:
oldspark said:
I checked those two or 3 times, did you not see thepost by DASKY were they recomend a damper for any one with a chimney over 20 feet.

You could have bad gasket but I always try and give the poster some credit for knowing about his stove.

oldspark said:
HotCoals said:
oldspark said:
I checked those two or 3 times, did you not see thepost by DASKY were they recomend a damper for any one with a chimney over 20 feet.
I was just joking because of that other thread..without a doubt a damper could very well be effective in the right conditions and hands!

I thought you were joking but any more I'm not sure of any thing.

oldspark said:
I thought you were joking but any more I'm not sure of any thing.
Sorry bout that!

I still have my damper installed and mess with it now and then..it does have some effect even with my cat stove on low burn.
But mostly it's always wide open.
I'm sure it has way more effect on a tube burner.

Still some unanswered questions in my head but I am going to ignore them for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.