Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Can I install a damper directly off the top of my Heritages prior to the first pipe connection? This might help with overnight burns. Burn times aren't long enough with any usable coals.

That's where mine was. It was one of these:
a20792912fc06eed504f6d_m.GIF

It was connected to the flue collar of the stove and then the rest of the double wall pipe went from there. For me, it worked great.

Can I install a damper directly off the top of my Heritages prior to the first pipe connection? This might help with overnight burns. Burn times aren't long enough with any usable coals.

Perhaps you need to look at the fuel you are burning too?!

Reactions: Lewiston

I disagree with that being the solution to this particular question. The Heritage throws a lot of heat up the pipe. I would regularly have the air closed and the damper closed and still have the stove sit at 550+::F when run correctly. I found the damper to add an additional level of control for the stove.

That's fine Browning. You seem to disagree to a lot of things. We just keep that in mind.

if you are going to have a damper wouldn't it be best to keep it as close to the stove as possible? It will keep the heat in the stove as much as possible and promote complete combustion. What you'll find is that flue temps south of a highly placed damper will elevate and if you are a flue temp watcher you might think your flue is hotter than it should be. (what i posted is a question more than a statement, btw. just thinking out loud here)

Thanks guys. I wanted to put it on the flue collar because my pipe above that is telescoping. The Heritage has weak burn times. Maybe that's more a function of a smaller firebox. The wood I burn is anywhere from 1.5 years seasoned to 9 months seasoned. I don't have complete control over that. I have about 1.5 cord stored now. I have some rounds that need to be c/s/s as there in a massive pile. My fear of snakes keeps me away from that overgrown area until October / November when the overgrowth dies back.

I think a damper will be great when you have a really hot fire with good secondaries. That's when I want to slow it down. My problem is those overnight burns.

That's where mine was. It was one of these:
a20792912fc06eed504f6d_m.GIF

It was connected to the flue collar of the stove and then the rest of the double wall pipe went from there. For me, it worked great.

Can you use 3 screws to holding this into place? Does it slip over the mouth of the flue collar like my pipe does now? I don't see how this attaches at the stove.

Entry #62 of the above mentioned link (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/getting-a-hearthstone-up-to-600°.76166/)would support this.

Last year I was happy if I could get my mansfield to break 400. So far this season it's been a breeze to hit 600 on almost every load and it cruised for about a half hour around 725 a few days ago.

I'm attributing it half to being more familiar with the operation of the stove and half to the fact that the wood I'm burning sat out all summer in the hottest and driest summer we've had here in decades. I'm burning mostly honey locust with some occasional green ash, river birch, sycamore, red oak, and osage orange.

Can you use 3 screws to holding this into place?

Yes, there is a place to screw the pipe section into the stove collar.

Does it slip over the mouth of the flue collar like my pipe does now?
Yes it does. Mine wasn't this exact brand, but it was the same style build. The label on mine reads "Simpson Dura-Vent Stovetop Adaptor"

I don't see how this attaches at the stove.
Hopefully the attached photo helps to illustrate how the pipe section connects to the collar.

Attachments

• damper.JPG
    damper.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 157
Right, but the OP's question wasn't in regards to an inability to achieve a certain stove temp, but it was to add an additional form of control to the stove in the hopes of stretching burn times without hindering performance.

I enjoyed that post. Comment left on that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.