Englander pvd 25 filled burn pot Ahhhh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a normal, well running PDV to me.

From reading multiple posts on the PDV having to scrape the burn pot a couple times a day is normal. I know I have to. I am burning green supreme pellets and they tend to 1/2 burn at times and cause some clinkers. I am also burning AWF (Softwood) white pine pellets and when I burn them alone I seem to get a better burn and less ash.

Can anyone recommend a good burning rate? I had it at 3-3 today and the house was between 65-67.. If I put it at 4-4 last night and when I woke up at 8am the hoper pot was almost empty after being full 12 hours before. I don't want to waste unburned pellets but I want the house to be warm..

Had the stove on 4-4 all night and she I woke up at 4:30an, house was at 61.. Cranked it to 6-6 and got up at 6:50 and house was still at 61. Going to call customer service today, not sure why it's happening!! Help!

I always have my room blower speed on 9, no matter what the heat is set to, it seems to push out more heat.. last night it was cold here in mass 16* last night i had my stove on 7-9 all night and it was 70* in the house all night

We have a model 25 PI and we also are having problems with the pellets building up in the burn pot.I have the top buttons set at 2 and 9 but the bottom buttons I'm not sure what they should be.We were told the presets were 6-9-1 but that seemed to make the problem worse so we've been playing around with the settings.I presently have the bottom buttons set at 4-4-1.I'm just not sure how to tell when it's a good setting.Thanks.

I just put the settings at 5-5-1 because the previous setting seems to burn the pellets up too quickly.

Last edited:
New combustion blower this year too.. Might have to try soft pellets but I called Englander and they said no soft pellets.. Stove still heats up which is good!

I only burn softwood... and many others here are the same. My stove hates hardwood and I hate to upset her.

bought soft woods alot less ash but the btu was not there Isabella pellets made in Michigan, Love the ash contents was almost none after 15 hrs of burning... alos have some Kirkland's I am going to try this weekend. they are a combo of soft and hard woods. Will see how they burn

Just had my son check running the soft woods and it's only 60 in the house and setting 4-9 with Propellets and the temp out side (43) it would be 74 on the same setting

I'm in mass to and it was cold! I left the pellet running all day on 4-4. Got home and house was at 56.... Just cleaned it out as its been 5 days since its last good cleaning and hoping tahat works. weird thing is that the pellet amount in the hopper pot barely moved? Do you guys kick on your furnace during those cold cold nights?

I have no oil hear what so ever. Pellets are my only source... I had mine running on 5-9 all day and came home and the house was 69* bumped it up to 9-9 and it's now 72 and climbing

And was the burn pot full? How many pellet bags do you go through? Sorry it's my first year running it all year round and I am freaking out!
Does the 9 make the pellets burn more?

Ya bumping the heat to 9 makes a difference in heat.. The blower speed try running that on 9 all the time... I never turn the blower down... That won't burn more pellets.. It's almost like free heat. And ya the burn pot fills up but all englanders do that I just scrape it out when I get home.. I stole a spatula from the wife when she wasent looking lol and use that to clean it out while it's running

Ha that's what I use! Thanks for the advice! I have an ac unit in the window by the pellet stove and I'm wondering if heat is escaping out that way too.. What would be the best setting for when I'm at work? 3-9?

Ribcage, When you clean, how far up do you go in between the two walls that can be accessed by the ports near the burn-pot? ... on my stove the smoke chambers extend to the height of the fire box and I use a dryer lint brush and attach a hose to my shop vac. Your manual suggests tapping the back wall in the combustion chamber to loosen fly ash in that area. You could try the Leaf Blower trick ... search the threads and you should come across the process. Leaf blower has to have vac ability; attach to exhaust vent outside, detach vac switch on stove.

Your pellets piling up is due to lack of air inside the stove... Mike's a believer.... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/summers-heat-49-shcpm.136651/page-2#post-1835853

Lake girl I did that before the season started and a lot of crud came out of the leaf blower. I use a lint brush as well and then vaccum what I can out. I know that these stoves have an issue in regards to them..

Lake girl I did that before the season started and a lot of crud came out of the leaf blower. I use a lint brush as well and then vaccum what I can out. I know that these stoves have an issue in regards to them..

So you're ahead of the curve then as you got the cleaning figured out;) but ... how much have you burned since the start of the season. Depending on pellet, big clean every ton... more if they are very ashy. I just completed mine:)

So you're ahead of the curve then as you got the cleaning figured out;) but ... how much have you burned since the start of the season. Depending on pellet, big clean every ton... more if they are very ashy. I just completed mine:)

About 20 bags in at this time. I usually try to clean it really good every 4-5 days. I tale the plate off inside and then scrape it all around.. Should I be doing something different?

I think you need to turn your heat setting up. When it's real cold out, I run on 9's. My lower settings right now are 6-3-1. My house with the help of a few fans will be 70 downstairs and 63 up on the coldest nights we've had, which were in the low 20's. You really need to burn your stove hot to warm the house up. I wasn't running hot enough to get my house up to temp so as soon as it got cold, my stove couldnt hold temp. Now that I run it hotter longer to warm the house, it holds temp just fine. I burn about a bag a day and scrape my pot twice a day. Try running it hotter longer when it's cold out.

Just reread the thread, have you tried increasing your heat and blower rates? I saw a suggestion of 6-9? The higher blower setting will get the heat off the exchangers quicker and into the house.

Did you check out the auger as suggested to ensure it is feeding at the proper rate?

How old is the house and how big is the space you are trying to heat? If there are issues with heat loss, poor insulation and poorly sealed windows and doors, they need to be addressed too as it just becomes a battle of overcoming heat loss.

bought soft woods alot less ash but the btu was not there Isabella pellets made in Michigan, Love the ash contents was almost none after 15 hrs of burning... alos have some Kirkland's I am going to try this weekend. they are a combo of soft and hard woods. Will see how they burn

Heard a lot of bad reviews for the Isabella pellets...

Status
Not open for further replies.