Englander pvd 25 filled burn pot Ahhhh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup not buying them again mixing them with some others right now they burn real nice just no btu's but this is how you learn trial and error LOL

RIb cage I clean my stove once a week min. General clean once a wk and a good cleaning on the weekends so 2 times a week

shutting the stove down cleaning the inside soaking the wear plate cleaning the auger removing the back plate and cleaning inside there scraping the walls out etc

Last edited:
Ok that's what I do lol just wondering..
House was really warm this am at 69 when we woke up and I had it set at 3-8. Only issue is that those damn pellets never burned through. I came home today after work 11 hours later and house was at 68 but burn pot was behind filled with clunkers. You guys just scrape your burn pot off to the side right? I'm not complaining because it's doing the trick but worry about back fire and possible monoxide?

I think that may be the first time I've heard it stated that way ;lol Most people just call themselves newbies!

I have been told that I have a way with words.. Lol.. All kidding aside, how would I regulate how many pellets fall out at once? It seems that I am shutting it down today again for a cleaning even though I just did it on Monday. That bag of bad pellets really clogged up the stove and I need to get all the ash out of there as the pellets are not burning through and just sitting in the burn pot. How do I check to see what mode it's in? Ugh..

turn stove off let cool down unplug it plug back in hold down the arrow keys up and down (press them and release) for the blower speed I think if not the other set sorry brain not working today. it will tell you in the first box. Yes 2 times a day i shut down and scrape the wear plate off and restart. You might have a plate in the hopper where the pellets drop ( I do not) down the the auger if you don't you can make one I did a pc out soffit metal covers about 1/4 to 1/2 in of the hole

Can anyone recommend a good burning rate? I had it at 3-3 today and the house was between 65-67.. If I put it at 4-4 last night and when I woke up at 8am the hoper pot was almost empty after being full 12 hours before. I don't want to waste unburned pellets but I want the house to be warm..
It won't fix your ash problem but it really sounds like you would benefit from having a thermostat hooked to that stove. You don't need anything fancy, just a dumb thermostat will do.
I run my 25 PDVC set at 9-9 and the thermostat set at 70::F. The stove really cranks out the heat when needed and goes back to 1-9 when the thermostat is satisfied. No wasted fuel overheating the space, and I don't have to fiddle with it to maintain the temperature.
With respect to the ash problem. Bottom feeders tend to have that problem. It sounds like you may have an combustion air flow problem but it is hard to be sure.
  • Have you ever cleaned the combustion blower?
  • Is the air intake clear and unrestricted?
  • Is the EVL (Equivalent Vent Length) under 15 feet?
  • Does the burn plate sit flat at the bottom with no rocking or gaps around it?
  • Are the holes in the burn plate clean?
The combustion blower should have enough velocity to blow most of the ash out of the burn pot. Eventually it will need scraping.
Softwood pellets burn cleaner than hardwood and should have slightly higher BTU output. The lighter ash gets blown out of the fire pot more easily.
Burning a bag of pellets in 12 hours isn't surprising. My MVAE can burn from 1.4 up to 7 lbs per hour that means It can burn a bag in under 6 hours if needed. Mid winter I burn two to three bags a day. This week I have been burning approximately two bags a day. It makes me more consious of the cost of heating, but I still prefer it to burning oil.

build up in the burn pot will happen.. its just what these stoves do.. for example left my stove running all night for 10 Hrs on 3-9 this morning there was about 2 in of ash in the pot, and that is always common.. i just scrape it out and let it run. sometimes the ash builds up and touches the glass.. these stoves are just known for that to happen... and doing a mode change really will not change anything..

Ribcage, relax, your stove is fine. A full burn pot is just the way the Englander 2 auger stoves work. Every day, open the stove, dump about 2/3 of what's on the burn pot (usually to the sides) and you're done. I use a tulip bulb garden shovel for this. Clean once a week and leaf blower after every ton. Like Lake girl asked, how's your set-up? Do you have an OAK?

Status
Not open for further replies.