Exhaust pipe angled slightly downward

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewaterfarm

Jun 29, 2014
RI
Hi, I just purchased a Jotul Firelight which has a rear exhaust I will be venting into a fireplace.
My question is the top measurement of the pipe is 30.5" and the top of the opening in the fireplace is 30.5" as well.
I am going to have the stove professionally installed, but I am curious to know, before I have someone take a look at it, if it is possible to angle the exhaust pipe, by just an inch or two, downwards, without effecting the draft.
I have a 1.5" thick hearth pad I would like to use and I'm also not sure it is good idea to have the pipe right up against the stone (though that is probably ok)
Thanks for any input! Love the stove and hope I can use it.

Attachments

• photo(142).JPG
    photo(142).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 157
No you cant angle the pipe down you could probably get away with a very slight angle down for a short distance. Dead level should work but isn't right you should really have at least an 1/8" per foot or rise . Is the measurement 30.5without the hearthpad? If so you might be in trouble.

Yes, the top of the stove pipe and the top of the fireplace opening are the same height without the pad.
Are you saying this absolutely won't work, or it is not ideal? I could purchase one of those thin prefab thin hearth pads to reduce the rise.
Thx

Yeah if they are the same height without the pad and you are going to add 1.5" of rad i dont think it will work. What type of floor protection does the stove call for?

The manual says of course that it needs floor protection, but doesn't specify what kind.
That is why I was thinking I could purchase one of those regulation prefab ones that I have used before and I believe to be less than a 1/2 thick.
I think the stove could be installed with less than an inch decline from the back of the stove to the chimney.
Just wondering if this is less than ideal or an absolute "don't do it".

Well you need to find out what r value is required for your stove and make sure you meet that. And a 1" drop will probably not work very well at all

Thanks, That's really too bad. I love the stove and was hoping I didn't have to sell it and continue my search for another.

Maybe with the right pad you shorten the legs?

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a short leg kit for this model.
I'm a newbie at this for sure, but I'm surprised to hear a 1/2" to 1" drop is making me unable to run the stove.
Sooooo frustrating.
Still thinking of solutions....

probably not unable to run it but it will definitely make it frustrating. Harder to start more buildup less than optimal draft ect.

Darn science!
One last question. If I can eek by and get it 100% vertical, no incline at all, will that be sufficient?
and in order to make that happen the pipe will definitely be touching the stone lintel. Is that ok?

yes but you mean horizontal lol and touching the stone shouldn't matter much.

Pop out a stone or 3?

There is probably a lintel that would be in the way there anyway.
Prolly. Just giving him something else to think about.

I would still cut the legs off some.

Trimming the legs would work as a last resort.

we have also punched through into the smoke chamber with the pipe before but that is a lot of work and it is also kind of a pain to hook up the liner. In those cases we ran a section of liner down through the damper in order to make it easier to clean also. It makes for a nice install but it takes allot of work and usually requires an insulated wall pass thru. Cant tell from your pic if it would work in your situation though..

Here you go. Hopefully with any luck it will just make it.
Large old stone chimney. Wouldn't want to mess with it.
If it comes to that, up on craigslist it will go, and I'll find a smaller stove.

Trimming the legs would work as a last resort.
Prolly the easiest solution though as long as things are fire proof under the stove I don't see a problem.
Can't you just cut them clean off like a insert?

Here you go. Hopefully with any luck it will just make it.
Large old stone chimney. Wouldn't want to mess with it.
If it comes to that, up on craigslist it will go, and I'll find a smaller stove.
Ah...love me a wood burning banjo playing girl...your husband is lucky. I put that last part in there just to see if you're married..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.