Fired up the BK for the first time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
It's in the 50's and raining here. The wife came home from school with the chills. Not any more! Stove throws some heat!..

Fired up the BK for the first time!

I think he pulled the tigger. :) Looking good tig.

Nice!
Get er going good then turn the t-stat all the way down and let her go on low cruise if you really want to be impressed..lol.
Be sure to show her how the cat is glowing at least 2 or 3 times tonight ,drove my wife nuts with that the first season. lol

Congrats. I'm a proud new BK owner too. Love the stove. Grateful to the fellas here for turning me on to it. Would not have found it on my own.

It's 75 degrees in the stove room and I'm doing P90x3 workout right now! Buring calories while buring wood!!!

I had my first real burn last week, 24 hrs on a load of low btu stuff. Loving the Thermostatic damper.

Get er going good then turn the t-stat all the way down and let her go on low cruise if you really want to be impressed..lol.

Yikes, note that if you turn the stat ALL the way down you will snuff the cat and make a mess. Each stove will have a different low low setting at which the cat just barely stays active.

That lowest setting is where the BK's are most awesome.

We've been having cold nights (39 this morning) but warm days so a short fire in the evenings is necessary but almost too much. Been burning the BK like a non-cat, pulse and glide.

Only a couple times have I I had the cat stall on the lowest setting. I think that was from mostly not charring the wood enough.

Playing around last night and today. Outside temps in the 50's. I have the stove at the 2nd dot above low. Below that I seem to stall out the cat. I bought the insert used. The cat that is in there is old/beat up and ready to be replaced. It got a few cracks during the move. I have a new one but wanted to get use to the stove before I replaced it. I am wondering if the new cat would help me go lower. The wood is all sub 20% on fresh split. Any thoughts?

Congrats. I'm a proud new BK owner too. Love the stove. Grateful to the fellas here for turning me on to it. Would not have found it on my own.
May I ask how much the enamel Ashford 20 retails for?

Playing around last night and today. Outside temps in the 50's. I have the stove at the 2nd dot above low. Below that I seem to stall out the cat. I bought the insert used. The cat that is in there is old/beat up and ready to be replaced. It got a few cracks during the move. I have a new one but wanted to get use to the stove before I replaced it. I am wondering if the new cat would help me go lower. The wood is all sub 20% on fresh split. Any thoughts?
Wait until it gets a bit colder. Draft is a key (vital) component in order to max the variability in the burn rates. Also, make certain you have 15-20' of chimney. Does it has an insulated liner?

It's a 22 foot exterior chimney. Insulated block off plate. Liner is not insulated. I figured it was draft issue or just time to plug in the new cat. I wanted to get use to the stove before I threw the new one in.

Is the liner stainless and if so what diameter?

Good.

Keep trying the old cat for awhile. When you do put the new one it will be really sensitive and light off fast for awhile.It will really get hot quick. It will settle down after a few burns so don't be alarmed .
Be sure to use a new gasket every time the cat comes out. The old one will be shot no matter how long it is in there..even just a few fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.