Hampton HI400 burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Batty

Jan 28, 2016
Tannhäuser Gate
Had a new Hi400 installed back in late November. The burn times really haven't been good in it. I have adjusted the damper opening with the restriction plate down to a paper thin slit. Yet the wood becomes completely engulfed in flames when the damper is closed. Seems the damper is almost completely useless as air still enters from other source(s) completely unregulated.

I have adjusted the restrictor plate and the door shims for the gasket.

Last night I filled it with good dry heavy maple at 11:30pm and it was dead at 6:30am

Here it is with the damper closed.
8DOGObl.jpg

Damper opening:
OnJdGej.jpg
As you can see it's pretty blocked off

Any suggestions?
Is there a customer service or technical service number at Regency?

Thanks

Last edited:
That stove looks like it only has one air inlet.

Next time the stove is cold, close the door on a dollar bill and try to pull the bill out. If it pulls out easily, you have found your problem. Do that all the way around the gasket to look for air leaks.

I agree check the door but also can you run through you burn procedure for us?

The door is tight and has been adjusted by removing shims as the stove broke in.Tested with a $10.

Fully open catalyst bypass and draft control (damper)
Start fire with kindling and leave door ajar
After 5-10 minutes after kindling catches close the door.
Once fire is established, large logs added and the digital temp gauge reads 500+ close the bypass damper and adjust draft control to closed position

I am trying to get the logs to "bake" with the white ash on them <----This is regency's description.

Have you had the installer out to look at it? To test the draft? Also can you zoom out from that pic of the opening a little? It looks like the intake port without the restrictor plate in place but its hard to tell from that pic

Have you had the installer out to look at it? To test the draft? Also can you zoom out from that pic of the opening a little? It looks like the intake port without the restrictor plate in place but its hard to tell from that pic

The picture is of the restrictor plate, it's blocking 95% of the intake port. Hard to get with a camera, but I said in the OP "I have adjusted the damper opening with the restriction plate down to a paper thin slit."

The picture is of the restrictor plate, it's blocking 95% of the intake port. Hard to get with a camera, but I said in the OP "I have adjusted the damper opening with the restriction plate down to a paper thin slit."
Yes a saw that you said that but i was saying from the pic it does not look like that. Have you had the installer or dealer out to address the issues and look for problems/?

Not yet, just trying to address issue myself for now.
Who installed it? If it was installed by a pro they should come out and address your issues at no cost. If you installed it yourself you may need to pay for a visit but if it fixes the issue it would be worth it.

If the restricter plate is in correctly and adjusted down as small as it can be then you have to start restricting the air inlet outside the unit. But honestly that picture does not look like any of the units i have installed with the restricter plate in place. They may have changed the design i haven't done one in a couple months. How tall is your chimney? How much wood are you putting in the firebox? Honestly I would recommend calling your installer or dealer for help that is what they are there for.

chimney is 26'.
What you are seeing is the restrictor plate behind the dog house hole. I couldn't get the camera/mirror angle right to show the opening which is blocked by the top of the dog house.

20141124_160633.jpg

And yes I am going to call the installer, I just wanted it done without having to set up an appointment and have to take time off work possibly.

I tried paint...no laughing

Yellow is original opening...red is were restrictor plate and original opening overlap. Green is the hole in the restrictor plate and size it is reduced to at current time.

IBtVTcT.jpg

I am getting really good draft because I can hear the air being sucked in under the unit.

As for wood, I put in as much as possible. Generally 3 or 4 large pieces. I have removed the log holder to add more wood. Maybe my logs are too big?

Last edited:
I tried paint...no laughing

Yellow is original opening...red is were restrictor plate and original opening overlap. Green is the hole in the restrictor plate and size it is reduced to at current time.
ok i am sorry it is zoomed in so close i wasn't seeing it properly but i do now.

As for wood, I put in as much as possible. Generally 3 or 4 large pieces. I have removed the log holder to add more wood. Maybe my logs are too big?
If you can only fit 3 or 4 pieces in there then yes your wood is to large. This means you are getting allot less wodd into each load than you would if it was split down smaller

You should be putting anywhere from 7 to 10 pieces of wood like a game of Tetris.

If your damper does not look like it's slowing the fire down it maybe your bypass does not close fully. When you push the rode in on the bypass it should go just about all the way in with the circle at the end less then an inch from the unit.

Reactions: Roy Batty
If your damper does not look like it's slowing the fire down it maybe your bypass does not close fully. When you push the rode in on the bypass it should go just about all the way in with the circle at the end less then an inch from the unit.

Hmmm. sticks put about 1 3/4" when closed. When closed should the flames near the back be pulled to the front of the unit?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

K96xrtH.jpg

Lh1vGfT.jpg

Thanks guys, now I know what the issue is and will call the installer

Reactions: bholler
Good glad you figured it out.

Finally getting the installer out tomorrow. on the phone it sounded like he seems to think that the bypass shouldn't close all the way...
Well if he does you need to find a new sweep because he is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.