Heat Reclaimers?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heat Reclaimers?!

I have heard both sides. Some people I know
, burning less less efficient stoves love them.
Others with more efficient stoves don't.
I think that it comes down to stack temps and creosote buildup, as well as noise if there is a fan.
I do agree they need to be cleaned frequently.

simply put, chimneys need a certain amount of heat from the fire to function properly, if using an old less efficient stove a large percentage of heat is wasted and recapturing it with a reclaimer is feasible without too much of an issue, however, if using a modern EPA unit which doesn't release as much wasted heat into the flue it would not be a good idea to add a reclaimer as the heat you steal back from the flue may be needed to hold temp in the flue

I had one for many years and will never have another. Burn dry wood in a properly sized stove and you'll be happy & safe.

Heat reclaimers aren't needed on modern EPA stoves. They were designed for old inefficient stoves.

Two major problems with the things are that they are a creosote magnet and if the electricity goes off they are a box full of creosote getting mighty hot. I love the drill in the manual for the things about what to do if the power goes off. Like I can plan to be home when the power fails. Seems the heat can fry the blower in them if it isn't running.

Reactions: Skywalker
Pretty tough to clean the flue unless you really get a kick out of taking it all apart. I can't think of any redeeming quality. I give them a two thumbs down. Rick

:)Thank you very much for your reply. And by the way Happy New Year to all at Hearth.com. You guys make very good sense. I have an Englander NC 30 and would probably not need it. Thx to you all again Such a great website Here is a pic of my wonderful stove!

Attachments

• Heat Reclaimers?!
    image.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 207
Welcome.
Just say no to heat reclaimers.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I had one in the 70s called a "Magic Heat" I think.
You were supposed to move a lever back and forth to keep the cresote from building up. (didn't work it cresoted up in short time)
Took apart and cleaned a couple times, and thought "screw this" and sold it cheap.

Skywalker, Nice hearth! Just, why didn't you remove the baseboard heater??
Had a magic heat that I used on a non-epa stove in the 80's. Had no problem with creosote and did enjoy using it. That being said, with the secondary burn feature offered on the new stoves, I would not have another magic heat. Which, by the way, I've seen them at garage sales for a steal....tempting?...NAH

I heat with my stove . . . not my chimney.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Agreed.... don't waste your money. Those things are simply more cool surface area in the pipe for creosote to accumulate on.

Besides clogging with creosote, heat reclaimers tend to remove heat you need in the flue to maintain a good draft.

Looks like this one has been covered once again. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.