1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How many bags burned so far?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mepellet, Nov 19, 2011.

1. magentaman

magentaman Member

Loc:
    Western Washington State
    Bag 29 went in today. Just finished up a couple weeks with dry cold weather.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. slangtruth

slangtruth Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    I'm just finishing my second ton, one Great American bought for $255 and one Okie bought for $289. I just looked at last year's oil bill (we burned no pellets last year), and we had a delivery one year ago to the day. Prior to that delivery in the 2010 season including the tail end of the spring, we had burned 589 gallons of oil. Oil has "moderated" in my area and today costs only $3.55 a gallon. I have not yet burned one drop of oil this season (although I know I'll have to eventually) and I have maybe 60 gallons in the tank left over from the spring. True, this has been an unseasonably warm year so far, but even take off 20% and call it 500 gallons we might have burnt and it's ~$1750 vs ~$545.
  3. jrogers999

jrogers999 Member

Loc:
    Billerica Ma
    Just installed a M55 cast FS@ the beginning of September. Heats my whole 1600 SQ ft house. I ordered 3 tons of Green Supremes. I have burned about 70 bags. Downstairs when we go to bed I put it on 5 for an hour and get downstairs 90+ and upstairs is 78-82. Before bed I put it down to 2 or 3 and wake up to low 70's. Haven't used any oil so far. Though I think we'll need 1 more ton before the winter is up.
  4. bostonfan49

bostonfan49 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Essex Jct. Vermont
    Fired up the stove on Nov 3rd. Just opened bag 22 today. First stove, first winter.....having a blast. Thanks everyone for your help! Bill
  5. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    The numbers in my sig keep going up :grrr:
  6. George

George New Member

Loc:
    n.y.
    1st year burning
    1st ton gone heat setting 2 , 24/7
    3300 square ft of heating
  7. Northeaster2010

Northeaster2010 Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    j-takeman, last year I burned about 7 tons, I probably will burn about the same but what the heck its better then paying $3,000+ for oil!!
  8. vettechick

vettechick Member

Loc:
    central ct
    I threw in roughly number 75 last night. 1.5 tons and cozy as a baby!
  9. ShizzelDizzel

ShizzelDizzel New Member

Loc:
    Wesminster, MD
    +10000000000

Is it oil burning?
  10. sante fe

sante fe Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie ny
    46 bags so far.
  11. thedak

thedak Member

Loc:
    Smoke em if u got em'
    Up to 11 bags total
  12. Jon_M

Jon_M Member

Loc:
    South Shore
    Owned the insert for 8 days and have burned 6 bags so far

2 bags of Curran Blend
    1 bag of Curran Softwood
    1 bag of Greene Supreme
    2 bags of Greene Team

Regards,

Jon
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    You are a full fledged pellet pig but don't know it! You need to add something to your sig mr piggy!

Update:

Bags 21 and 22 went in this morning. Still haven't opened the door and I can still see plenty of fire through it. Ash pan is about 3rd full and Only the top 3rd of the glass is dirty. Who said Enviros have a sh!+y air wash?
  14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    55 is hitting the burn pot and part of 56 is in the hopper. Is this a race to see who can burn the most pellets?
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Just keeping pete on his toes!, You got the closet to his 59 bag record so far. Dex might be jumping in too!

Your not cheating are you? ;-)
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Is that 56 bags without cleaning Smokey?? Or are you just stating burning pellets overall. If so, I dont want in that race. I wanna burn less pellets this year (if possible with 3 stoves???) And go longer between cleanings. I have been a little anal about it in the past. But I think I am getting better (doubt it).
  17. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    It is in answer to the thread title. I got sick of looking at the mess in my stove earlier last season at the 26 bag or so mark, so I cleaned it.

Remember I push rather hard on the stove cleaning thing and just couldn't in good conscience abuse my stove and continue the ministering for a clean stove is a happy, safe, and warm stove.
  18. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Ahh, misunderstanding. We though you were going for the most bags before a cleaning/stove puke. Your going for the most bags it takes to keep warm I take it? I'd have to keep the temp in the 90º's to keep up to that amount of fuel used so far!

Is it yea who uses tha most or yea who uses the least??? IDK!
  19. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Well with the stove manually fired and lit back at the start this year I tended to just let it run after lighting it. We have had a few of those cold days up here, away from the southern climes of CT and coastal areas. Being old and such I just enjoy the heat and can take off the flannel shirt in the house if I get too warm.
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    My wife and I would need to take off more than our flannels. Probably not a pretty site!