Jotul 8 tdic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adeyo

Dec 13, 2012
In thinking of buying a used jotul 8 (it has a catalytic combuster)... Can anyone tell me if I should stay away or what this stove is comparable to? It is a 1989 model. In particular, how many square feet will this heat and any serious drawbacks to it having a cat?

Thanks for any tips

Adam

If the price is right it might work. This may not be the best behaved cat design on the market, but with a decent drafting flue and dry wood it should work ok. That is assuming that the stove is in good working order.

You will need to pay very close attention to the condition of the stove, in and out, top to bottom, front and rear. Examine it closely for any hairline cracks on the exterior, especially around the flue collar. Watch for any cracks or warping around the cat assembly and the bottom grate.

In thinking of buying a used jotul 8 (it has a catalytic combuster)... Can anyone tell me if I should stay away or what this stove is comparable to? It is a 1989 model. In particular, how many square feet will this heat and any serious drawbacks to it having a cat?

Thanks for any tips

Adam

I picked up a nice looking jotul firelight 12 for essentially nothing and am into it now for around $800 in parts. Things add up quick with these cat stoves, so check it out real carefully before making the purchase.

All I can say is Norwegian iron must have like gold in it or something the way it costs! If you're going to be burning full time, like 3 cords or so per year, be reay for some hefty repair bills sooner or later.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.... The pictures indicate the stove is in great condition... I have pictures from all angles pretty much. I guess it's worth the drive to visually inspect now. I have a fireplace brick chimney that used to have a wood stove in it. Will this work ok? (stove on first story of two story chimney). Also, any other inspection tips? I've never owned a stove before. $300 a good buy?

Thanks again for the help!

All I can say is Norwegian iron must have like gold in it or something the way it costs! If you're going to be burning full time, like 3 cords or so per year, be reay for some hefty repair bills sooner or later.

Part of this is the declining value of the dollar. Still, a VC stove is not exactly cheap. Have you priced out a BK steel stove lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.