OK talk me out of it...PE T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KodiakII said:
Up and running! A bit of a learning curve compared to starting the old "smoke dragon" . Break in fires are done, now cruising at around a 500 degree stove top temp. Pics to follow!

Congrats on the T6!! Are you starting to get the hang of the T6 yet after going from a pre EPA to secondary combustion stove?

KodiakII said:
Up and running! A bit of a learning curve compared to starting the old "smoke dragon" . Break in fires are done, now cruising at around a 500 degree stove top temp. Pics to follow!

Congrats!

Ray

Where is the f'in pictures already? Time is up! ;-)

I'll add my congrats Kodiak!

I just recently added the 'baby brother' T4 to our family as our new kitchen stove a couple of months ago.

I see we're practically neighbours! Where did you get your T6?

Jonathan

certified106 said:
KodiakII said:

Congrats on the T6!! Are you starting to get the hang of the T6 yet after going from a pre EPA to secondary combustion stove?

Quite surprised how fast the flue temp comes up compared to the old stove, and how quick you can start shutting down the draft. Extended burn times are really nice, and it has been heating our old wind tunnel (aka house) easier than the old stove...with quite a bit less wood.!

Hogwildz said:
Where is the f'in pictures already? Time is up! ;-)

Charging camera battery as I type. Was going to wait until I finished behind the stove with a brick veneer, but if you insist!

jrwhite said:
I'll add my congrats Kodiak!

I just recently added the 'baby brother' T4 to our family as our new kitchen stove a couple of months ago.

I see we're practically neighbours! Where did you get your T6?

Jonathan

Bet you are as happy with yours! Bought mine up in Peterborough from Friendly Fires, They gave me the best price, and even had it in the day after it was ordered. Where did you get yours ?

Hi Kodiak,

I got mine from Chemong Chimney. Fantastic service and a price that was lower than the online US prices I've seen. Friendly Fires is right down the road from me.

Where are you located?

Jonathan

jrwhite said:
Hi Kodiak,

I got mine from Chemong Chimney. Fantastic service and a price that was lower than the online US prices I've seen. Friendly Fires is right down the road from me.

Where are you located?

Jonathan

Couple of concessions south of the Bay of Quinte, almost half way between Belleville and Trenton.

Attachments

• OK talk me out of it...PE T6
    stove2b 001a.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 241
Nice stove Kodiak!

Ray

Nice looking stove even if I am biased.....is something wrong with the trivet? What is your wood supply like?

Hey Kodiak,

South of Quinte, that's a very nice area. So, we're not 'really' quite neighbours, but, in the scope of this forum, we're practically living in the same place!

I'm not sure if you picked up your stove, but if you did you drove right by me.

Nice looking stove! You can see mine here in this thread ( that I kinda hijacked .. sorry for that ) ..

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86916/

Jonathan

certified106 said:
Nice looking stove even if I am biased.....is something wrong with the trivet? What is your wood supply like?

I notice that too.. Looks like the trivet isn't sitting on the center support and stressing the trivet pretty badly..

Ray

jrwhite said:
Hey Kodiak,

South of Quinte, that's a very nice area. So, we're not 'really' quite neighbours, but, in the scope of this forum, we're practically living in the same place!

I'm not sure if you picked up your stove, but if you did you drove right by me.

Nice looking stove! You can see mine here in this thread ( that I kinda hijacked .. sorry for that ) ..

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86916/

Jonathan

Nice place!! Hope ours comes out like that when we are done with it!! Old timber frame? Parts of our place dates back to the 1840's.

certified106 said:

Trivet was just off the centre mount a bit. Some of my wood isn't the best, running anywhere from 18-22% for the good stuff though. Just reloaded before the pic, maybe started shutting the draft down a little early. Flue temp was over the 800 degree mark when I moved it to the middle position.
Used my sooteater this afternoon for the first time, got about two cups of "soot" since the last cleaning a month ago. Sure beats the heck out of risking my neck up on the roof this time of year. For any Canadian members, Canadian Tire is selling the sooteater systems, as well as fat wood.

Hi Kodiak,

No, the place is only about 25 years old. The original owner who built the place had a great eye for design, and not so great an eye for insulation and flashing. We've been rebuilding for the last quite a number of years. But yes, he did have a great design sense. The post and beam are real.

He's also the guy who tried to heat a 3500+ sq foot home with a CDW large federal airtight in the kitchen which is isolated at the far end of the house. When I bought the place ( and knew nothing about wood heating ) he bragged about it being a cat stove. We burned in it for a few years and then moved on to the VC insert. I wanted to revive the CDW last year, and found that the cat and refractory package were missing and that the firebox was cracked from overfiring and not economically rebuildable ( with kind advice from Ray and certified ). So, that's where the T4 came in.

I'm still getting used to it. Most of the time it's great ... other times I have to coax it. I think my serpentine stovepipe may be the issue. Overall I love the T4 and I'm sure you're going to love your T5. Ash cleaning, and that ash lip are a PITA in my humble opinion though. Both me and my wife love the cast iron, but, our neighbout has a Spectrum Classic porcilin, and man, it's so much easier to keep clean!

Jonathan

jrwhite said:
Hi Kodiak,

No, the place is only about 25 years old. The original owner who built the place had a great eye for design, and not so great an eye for insulation and flashing. We've been rebuilding for the last quite a number of years. But yes, he did have a great design sense. The post and beam are real.

He's also the guy who tried to heat a 3500+ sq foot home with a CDW large federal airtight in the kitchen which is isolated at the far end of the house. When I bought the place ( and knew nothing about wood heating ) he bragged about it being a cat stove. We burned in it for a few years and then moved on to the VC insert. I wanted to revive the CDW last year, and found that the cat and refractory package were missing and that the firebox was cracked from overfiring and not economically rebuildable ( with kind advice from Ray and certified ). So, that's where the T4 came in.

I'm still getting used to it. Most of the time it's great ... other times I have to coax it. I think my serpentine stovepipe may be the issue. Overall I love the T4 and I'm sure you're going to love your T5. Ash cleaning, and that ash lip are a PITA in my humble opinion though. Both me and my wife love the cast iron, but, our neighbout has a Spectrum Classic porcilin, and man, it's so much easier to keep clean!

Jonathan

The secret to the ashlip is to slide your ashpan out a bit so the slot in the ashlip is above the pan then use a small brush and sweep the ash into the slot which drops the ash into the pan.. Works well and keeps the hearth cleaner too..

Ray

NICE! I love those stoves! I think....did I? ...... lemme check..... yep I made a mess..... LMAO

The T6 has a nice little ash hole built into the ash lip that is over the ash pan. I just sweep the ashes into this hole when cleaning the glass. Then I wipe down the ash lip with the still damp paper towel and it looks like new.

KodiakII said:
certified106 said:

Trivet was just off the centre mount a bit. Some of my wood isn't the best, running anywhere from 18-22% for the good stuff though. Just reloaded before the pic, maybe started shutting the draft down a little early. Flue temp was over the 800 degree mark when I moved it to the middle position.
Used my sooteater this afternoon for the first time, got about two cups of "soot" since the last cleaning a month ago. Sure beats the heck out of risking my neck up on the roof this time of year. For any Canadian members, Canadian Tire is selling the sooteater systems, as well as fat wood.

What is the sooteater system?

BeGreen said:
The T6 has a nice little ash hole built into the ash lip that is over the ash pan. I just sweep the ashes into this hole when cleaning the glass. Then I wipe down the ash lip with the still damp paper towel and it looks like new.

Yes, the T4 has one too, but, when the door is open (the only time the drop apature is open ) there's an arm that keeps the door from extending too much that positions itself directly right of the drop. So, you can't sweep anything right of the drop int the lip into the drop. So, you have to close the door to sweep it, and then there's no apeture to sweep it into .. you kind of have to flick it over the lip. Now, I'm not an incredibly clean type and it doesn't truely bother me, but, I think it's a design deficency. Also, I've done the paper towel wipe down, and I've found it always leaves paper fibres. I've switched to a cloth, which I've found works much better.

We ( as in my wife and I, not the Royal we ) love the look of the cast iron. We're not as much of a fan of the porcilin finish. But, our neighbour has a PE Spectrum, and man, that thing is always spotless! You wipe a cloth across that and it sparkles!

Anyway, I love this stove. I'm still trying to understand it and tame it, as I'm a new EPA burner.

Jonathan

raybonz said:
jrwhite said:
The secret to the ashlip is to slide your ashpan out a bit so the slot in the ashlip is above the pan then use a small brush and sweep the ash into the slot which drops the ash into the pan.. Works well and keeps the hearth cleaner too..

Ray

Hi Ray,

Yeah, that's just the thing. With the door open on the T4, the retaining arm interfers with the right side of the lip ajacemt tp the drop slot, so, you can't brush the right side into the drop. You have to close the door and then sweep the ashes over the lip, which then goes all over the hearth ( or in my case, simply the floor ).

I think I'd actually prefer if there was no lip at all, then any spil from the firebox would simply drop onto the hearth ( or floor in my case ) as I have to clean that anyway. The T5 and 6's may be different.

Jonathan

KodiakII said:
Bottom up cleaning system, attaches to a power drill, looks like a weedeater head, saves you from climbing on roof.
www.sooteater.com
//http.cdnlayer.com/ec1images/225/products/4/4272662_rch205.jpg

Interesting. Do you feel that these are better than conventional brushes? I need to pick up something within the next month. I assume you still need to disconnect your chimney, or are they flexible enough to go in above the baffle?

I have a 12/12 pitch on a metal roof, so getting onto the roof is not an option!

Ash Man said:
KodiakII said:
Bottom up cleaning system, attaches to a power drill, looks like a weedeater head, saves you from climbing on roof.
www.sooteater.com
//http.cdnlayer.com/ec1images/225/products/4/4272662_rch205.jpg

Interesting. Do you feel that these are better than conventional brushes? I need to pick up something within the next month. I assume you still need to disconnect your chimney, or are they flexible enough to go in above the baffle?

I have a 12/12 pitch on a metal roof, so getting onto the roof is not an option!

I think you would have to take the baffle out. I go up from the stove to an elbow and to a T (chimney is straight up), so I take the clean out cap off and go up from there. I also have the regular brush and rod that I use at least twice a year when my steel roof is a little less dangerous. The sooteater works well, but I don't feel for me that it is a replacement for poly brushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.