OK talk me out of it...PE T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Went in to our local PE dealer to buy a stove top thermometer, and fell in love with the T6. Are they really worth the money? Was going to use our old Heritage until we could afford a cook stove (stove is in kitchen naturally), but the salesman talked me out of it on the logic that we were using the stove primarily as a heat source not for cooking. The 12 hour burn times and it's diet suppressant like appetite for firewood really sold me. How suitable are the T6's for cooking on, and are they really that easy on wood. Unless someone can talk me out of it, I am going to order one next week with a blower. Just to stir things up...I will be keeping my key damper!

Not sure anyone is going to talk you out of it but Hotcoals might try and talk you into a Blazeking. :)

There is a lot of info here on the T6 as well as the Summit. If you want to do some reading do a search for T6, Summit or even EBT and you should have enough reading material to hide out in the bathroom all day.

Why on earth would I try to talk you put of the T6 its a great stove..... :)
That being said how is the heritage doing heat wise with your house as the T6 is a bigger stove. I have found the T6 to be very mild mannered and easy to use and heating 2600 sq ft I can easily get 12 hours between reloads until the temps get on the low 20s outside. For reference it was 28 degrees outside last night and I loaded it at 10 pm at 8 am the stovetop was still 350 with glowing logs in the back of the stove. I wont put any more wood in it until noon today and I wont need kindling. I will say this about 12 hours later it isn't dumping heat in the house but the fan is still on and it is putting out some heat. These temps are running it on 3-4 year old oak and hickory.

Your story sounds about like mine once I saw one in person my wife and I fell in love with it. Enjoy your new stove lol

I have to agree. It's a simple yet very flexible stove. The big firebox offers N/S or E/W loading. For cooking, the T6 is great. With the swing away trivets you have almost infinite temperature control. If you like soapstone's soft heat, you will like the Alderlea heat also. The cast-iron jacket adds a lot of mass, yet really softens the side heat so that you can have a chair close by and not get baked. But unlike soapstone, it's not delicate. You can take it up to 750°F without anxiety.

However to be truthful, there's no guarantee it's going to use less wood than the Heritage. If the house needs BTUs, the stove is going to eat wood. With the luxury of a bigger stove, we may actually be using a little more wood, but were staying warmer, especially when it's cold outside. Not a lot, but possibly a bit more.

That stove has sex appeal. I hope to put one of those sexy beasts in the house one day.

Matt

I agree with what the others say even though I have a T-5 but it has the similar traits in a medium size.. Even when it's 76 degrees in my livingroom it's still comfy near the sides of the stove as they get up to about 300 degrees if the stove is cranking out the heat..

Good luck!

Ray

It's quite a stove!

Don't do it!

Just kidding, thought I'd try. From all my reading, it sounds like a great choice. To be honest, I'm not sure I could ever get much into coooking on a wood stove, but if I did the T6 looks like a winner.

The Heritage works great (steel model 24 not soapstone), but it has an appetite that boarders on insatiable, and it struggles a bit during extreme cold snaps. The cooking aspect of the stove is for a JIC scenario like extended blackouts due to ice storms or whatever.

hey kodiak,what town in eo are you close to

rod

Ok when I was picturing a hearthstone heritage I was not picturing anything like the thread Begreen just referenced. You should see a large improvement going from that type of heritage to the T6.

KodiakII said:
Went in to our local PE dealer to buy a stove top thermometer, and fell in love with the T6. Are they really worth the money? Was going to use our old Heritage until we could afford a cook stove (stove is in kitchen naturally), but the salesman talked me out of it on the logic that we were using the stove primarily as a heat source not for cooking. The 12 hour burn times and it's diet suppressant like appetite for firewood really sold me. How suitable are the T6's for cooking on, and are they really that easy on wood. Unless someone can talk me out of it, I am going to order one next week with a blower. Just to stir things up...I will be keeping my key damper!

Well... as far as a wood cook stove-would you be keeping your other stove/range? I can't imagine cooking with wood in the summer, all that heat in the house! And if you are keeping the other stove, wouldn't it look weird to have two cook stoves?

Oh, wait...you wanted us to talk you OUT of this...uh...sorry.

A T-6 is the same as a Summit but in cast iron.

I love mine. Last few nights its been MINUS 2-8. People from where I used to live in PA constantly ask me if I'm keeping warm. Sure am! Toasty. I don't think that its eating a lot of wood to do that, surely lots less than the old Riteway 37 which I used for 32 years.

But it depends on the insulation in your house, how much of the house you are heating or how many sq feet, and whether you have window treatments to stop the massive heat loss at night when the outside temps are really low.

We're mostly enablers here . . . you won't see us helping anyone with any of their woodstove or wood addictions.

LAME, LAME, LAME...nobody could talk me out of it so I ordered one this morning. Got a smoken deal from a dealer in Peterborough, might be in as soon as tomorrow! Now I have to go buy some beer to act as a lure for some unsuspecting strong friends of mine!

Preemptive "we must see install photos or it didn't happen" strike! :cheese:

Congrats, I hope you like it as much as I like mine. Remember it will burn differently than you other stove so expect a bit of a learning curve. Can't wait to see the pics, when do you plan on installing it?

Congrats Kodiak!!

Ray

That's a nice stove. If we didn't already have a place for our insert I would have loved to put on of those in. I'm sure the heat will be immense from that thing.

No I'm not close enuf to Peterbirough to come help move it ;~

Man I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing to have on hand for the stove install.........A big recliner so when it's all in, hooked up, and the fire is dancing you can flop back in that chair and be mesmerized ;-P

Up and running! A bit of a learning curve compared to starting the old "smoke dragon" . Break in fires are done, now cruising at around a 500 degree stove top temp. Pics to follow!

Wish somebody would have talked me out of cutting that telescopic Selkirk DWSP. Lucky I am one stubborn sob or I wouldn't have got the stove up and running today!

Status
Not open for further replies.