Pellet is 3 yrs old today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Today is Pellet's 3rd birthday. Just to let eveyone know he is hard at work, as seen in the picture.

Attachments

• 111811.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 719
Happy Birthday, hey, give him a milk bone from uncle PJ.

Happy B day Pellet.

Hey Pete (imacman), I will be sure to give him a little scratch under the ear for ya.

Wow he is 3 years already...geeze

Happy Birthday Pellet!!

Happy Birthday, Pellet.

Tell "Dad" to give you an extra biscuit from me and Skeeter!

Really nice looking boy ya got there!!

DexterDay said:
Happy B day Pellet.

Hey Pete (imacman), I will be sure to give him a little scratch under the ear for ya.

Thanks Dex.

Wow...it REALLY is amazing it's been 3 years since Pellet arrived.......he's a BIG dog now!! :)

I want to get another Shepherd for him to have some company around the store. I am thinking on naming him "Woody" but calling him "Wood" for short.

Eric

Nice looking dog. I second the idea of getting a friend for your Pellet
I have a big male chocolate lab. He wanted to play all the time. Always dropping a ball in my lap. I didn't have the energy he wanted for playing so I did go and buy another chocolate lab. This one is female. They both are about 100 pounds each. Best buddies. (both neutered.) Expensive at times. Found out that I needed to give them the right diet. No corn, wheat, soy or animal by products. Those items are either bad or don't give proper nuitriton.

Attachments

• dogs 001.jpg
    dogs 001.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 290
save$ said:
Nice looking dog. I second the idea of getting a friend for your Pellet
I have a big male chocolate lab. He wanted to play all the time. Always dropping a ball in my lap. I didn't have the energy he wanted for playing so I did go and buy another chocolate lab. This one is female. They both are about 100 pounds each. Best buddies. (both neutered.) Expensive at times. Found out that I needed to give them the right diet. No corn, wheat, soy or animal by products. Those items are either bad or don't give proper nuitriton.

Good loookin' dogs...I fell for this also, Now I pay $50.00 for a thirty pound bag of food!! My Chocolate Lab eats better than me. :cheese:

My sister's one Dalmatian has allergies. She has started feed the RAW diet. Yep, raw chicken wings, ground up of course, raw veggies. Check it out. You can buy it or make your own. Don't know if would be cheaper for 2 big Labs.

So far so good. Animal by-products can mean chicken beaks, claws and lord only knows what else. My Scooby was allergic to corn. However, I found out it wasn't the corn itself, it was the mold and fungus that was on the corn used. I was feeding OC food from Canada and it had corn in it. They used human grade corn and he made out fine on it, but it got too hard to get.

there is a wealth of information on good animal nutrition to be found on the net. By products are what they sweep off the floor. Feathers, feet, every thing but the "cluck" "oink" and "moo" Even used euthanized zoo animals.
Lets face it, dogs will even eat ..hit, but that doesn't mean it good for them. Corn is a popular filler and is poorly digested. Dogs have to eat a lot of it to get even marginal food value. That is one reason for the the large amount of "clean up" that needs to be done. There is one major brand sold in most at most Vets. It has corn and is NOT rated high up there with many others. Just profitable for the vet to sell. Allergies are the most common side effect of those fillers in dog food. Look for words like chicken or chicken meal. both are good. a good dog food will have the first two ingredients listed as meats. That is the proportion of what the food contain. If it is not a meat, it is usually a lower, but not necessarily bad quality pet food. My dogs are worth every cent of getting a good food. In the long run, they will get sick less and may liver longer. Anyone wanting to change their food selections are cautioned to go slowly. Mix the new with the old until the animal can adjust to the change. Not doing so often results in a lot of throwing up and/or diarrhea.

save$ said:
there is a wealth of information on good animal nutrition to be found on the net. By products are what they sweep off the floor. Feathers, feet, every thing but the "cluck" "oink" and "moo" Even used euthanized zoo animals.
Lets face it, dogs will even eat ..hit, but that doesn't mean it good for them. Corn is a popular filler and is poorly digested. Dogs have to eat a lot of it to get even marginal food value. That is one reason for the the large amount of "clean up" that needs to be done. There is one major brand sold in most at most Vets. It has corn and is NOT rated high up there with many others. Just profitable for the vet to sell. Allergies are the most common side effect of those fillers in dog food. Look for words like chicken or chicken meal. both are good. a good dog food will have the first two ingredients listed as meats. That is the proportion of what the food contain. If it is not a meat, it is usually a lower, but not necessarily bad quality pet food. My dogs are worth every cent of getting a good food. In the long run, they will get sick less and may liver longer. Anyone wanting to change their food selections are cautioned to go slowly. Mix the new with the old until the animal can adjust to the change. Not doing so often results in a lot of throwing up and/or diarrhea.

After researching many different dog foods we have settled on Blue Buffalo. We get it delivered to our door for a few bucks cheaper than the cheapest we can find it locally in any store. Still more expensive than the "junk food" brands.

mepellet said:
save$ said:

After researching many different dog foods we have settled on Blue Buffalo. We get it delivered to our door for a few bucks cheaper than the cheapest we can find it locally in any store. Still more expensive than the "junk food" brands.

May I ask what you pay for it, That is what we feed our pooch also??

Eric,
Your older shepard stays home?

We got 2 labs here as well. One chocolate, one black.
They are now 7 & 4 and would be lost without each other.

Edit: Our dogs eat Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice.

Eatonpcat said:
mepellet said:
save$ said:

I think its $47 a bag. We get 2 bags every 6 weeks (2 labs) on a subscription type service. In other words, it comes every 6 weeks until we tell them to stop. The wife set it up so if you want more information shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info.

mepellet said:
Eatonpcat said:
mepellet said:
save$ said:

I think its $47 a bag. We get 2 bags every 6 weeks (2 labs) on a subscription type service. In other words, it comes every 6 weeks until we tell them to stop. The wife set it up so if you want more information shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info.

Thanks for the info, But that's about what I pay now!! Appreciate the offer!!

Skeeter has had a problem with an inflamed bowel. The vet said she needed to be on a limited ingredient diet.

I am feeding her the Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison. She is doing well. It's not cheap, but sure beats paying big vet bills.

tinkabranc said:
Eric,

July 1st I came home to find my older Shepherd, Buster had been poisoned. We had to put him down the next day. It still hurts my family to think that someone poisoned Buster. I wish I could prove who did it but that is another story I do not want to talk about.

About four months ago I found out Pellet was allergic to corn products. With the help of a customer that is a butcher we got him on a raw chicken and deer meat diet. Almost instantly I saw improvement in Pellet. In three weeks he filled out another 5-10 pounds, his fur coat improved and his skin lost it's pink tone and looks great. He is almost done with the ear infections and seems to be doing awesome. I supplement with a kibble meat based food but he eats raw chicken thighs and about 1/2 pound of venison each day.

I do want another Shepherd in the worst way. Pellet is with me 95% of the time and listens so well that he has only been on a leash 5-6 times in his life.

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
tinkabranc said:
Eric,

July 1st I came home to find my older Shepherd, Buster had been poisoned. We had to put him down the next day. It still hurts my family to think that someone poisoned Buster. I wish I could prove who did it but that is another story I do not want to talk about.

About four months ago I found out Pellet was allergic to corn products. With the help of a customer that is a butcher we got him on a raw chicken and deer meat diet. Almost instantly I saw improvement in Pellet. In three weeks he filled out another 5-10 pounds, his fur coat improved and his skin lost it's pink tone and looks great. He is almost done with the ear infections and seems to be doing awesome. I supplement with a kibble meat based food but he eats raw chicken thighs and about 1/2 pound of venison each day.

I do want another Shepherd in the worst way. Pellet is with me 95% of the time and listens so well that he has only been on a leash 5-6 times in his life.

Someone poisoned your dog?!?! wow.... I am sorry to hear that you had to deal with that. Some people are true idiots and scumbags.... How anyone could even think about doing that to a dog, I will never understand...

I too have a German Shepard and love him to death (Oscar) he will be 6 this Dec 16th..

As for Pellet, he is a well behaved and beatiful dog. I am looking to get another dog and would love another Shepard. My old dog Princess is 14 yrs old. We have been through a lot. But her time is nearing the end. Oscar is gonna need another playmate. One with a little more spunk than her.

You have a fine dog Eric. Ours is never on a leash either. They are a very loyal and obedient breed of dog (if raised correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.