Pellet Prices in CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xSpecBx

Sep 17, 2014
Ledyard, CT
I started looking at spring prices for pellets and CT and so far it doesn't look very good. CT pellets. Okanagan gold is selling for $325/ton which is more than I paid in september last year.

Just wondering if other CT people are seeing a similar trend. With those prices I may just take my chances with oil prices.

burn oil/propane wood but dont buy those overpriced pellets!

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
I think the prices are high. I think I'll use the propane.

Yeah, if the prices stay high, I might just use more oil. I love running the stove, but....money talks.

People obviously are willing to pay those prices. Not sure why...

I'm up in Enfield and the Hawthorne's Agway has their label Hamer's Hot Ones for $290/ton right now. They said they don't anticipate the price going up, but wouldn't of course guarantee anything.

Reactions: Pellet-King
No way in hell will I pay prices like this for pellets when oil is so low. This pisses me off that they are trying to scam us with these prices. I love the heat from my stove but this has gotten ridiculous. 300 plus dollars for a ton of scrap wood particles! THIS IS INSANITY!!!

I still have ~1.25 tons left from the 2 tons I bought this past season. With oil prices low it wasnt worth the extra work to run the stove consistently. I may just sit this season out and take my chances with oil prices.

Im going to call a few more places but at the prices I've seen its just not worth it.

I have propane heat and thats still ridiculously high.even at $315 a ton my stove is cheaper.i was paying $1.79 gal.for propane 3 yrs ago,last year it went to $4.39 now at $2.79.high way robbery

Wanna laugh.punch in different zip codes and the price changes.my zip is 12590.all those prices are $15 less.my buddy uses ctpellet and btpellet in CT.

Yeah so do I. I need to think if I want to pull the trigger already. I still have ice on top of my pool and it's making it difficult to even think about summer yet!

I used CT pellet last year. There prices are higher than they were when I bought in September. They have Okanagan gold at $325/ton when I paid $319/ton in September. With those prices and oil currently down I may probably wind up just taking my chances with oil. There's a couple other places in my area that I'm going to call, but CT Pellets prices seem extremely high for this time of year.

Reactions: pelletdude
$285 a ton will be my limit for anything like Hamer's or any other premium brand pre-season. At that point and with current low oil prices where it is I may just gamble even though me and my family enjoy the heat of our stoves. If I have to go the the big box stores for pellets at the last minute I will. They have been under that pricepoint every year so far. I hope my local CT Pellet and or BT pellet offers something better soon. I will be watching.
Those prices at $420 a ton at the woodpellets.com website are for the insane only. !!!

I used CT pellet last year. There prices are higher than they were when I bought in September. They have Okanagan gold at $325/ton when I paid $319/ton in September. With those prices and oil currently down I may probably wind up just taking my chances with oil. There's a couple other places in my area that I'm going to call, but CT Pellets prices seem extremely high for this time of year.
With your nice insert, it would seem a shame to give up the ambiance.

up until now I burned about three and three quarter tons of pellets this year, my pellet stove heated my home exclusively, no oil for heat whatsoever. looks like pellet manufacturers are starting to get greedy. I have no problem using my oil burner, I'll buy a couple of bags here and there to burn on holidays, and such. unless they smarten up and start selling the pellets at reasonable price. just saying! :confused:

I just paid $279 for Boreal and this weekend I am picking up NEWP for the same. I will never pay $300 when Oil is so low.

Reactions: zrtmatos
With your nice insert, it would seem a shame to give up the ambiance.
I still have over a ton that I didn't burn this last season due to low oil prices so the stove wont sit idle, it just wont be a primary heat source if I dont find a cheaper pellet supply.

up until now I burned about three and three quarter tons of pellets this year, my pellet stove heated my home exclusively, no oil for heat whatsoever. looks like pellet manufacturers are starting to get greedy. I have no problem using my oil burner, I'll buy a couple of bags here and there to burn on holidays, and such. unless they smarten up and start selling the pellets at reasonable price. just saying! :confused:

Out of curiosity, how big is your home? I have some family members that feel there is no way I can heat my home completely with my stove.

I'm not giving any of the local pellet suppliers the current asking prices for multiple tons. I'll keep my money and roll the dice in October.

Reactions: Ctcarl
Out of curiosity, how big is your home? I have some family members that feel there is no way I can heat my home completely with my stove.

my house is 1300 square feet it's a single level ranch

hi crizpynutz,i heat my 2800 sqf home with a harman XXV pellet stove.i use no propane or oil at all.zero.on nights it drops to 10 degrees or below.i have 2 portable space tower heaters in the bedrooms to warm them up a bit.they cost about $50-$80 each a month to run if we get real cold spells.but the stove keeps my 1400 sqf first floor as warm as you want it.i keep it at 72-73.my upstairs is usually 66-70.way cheaper than any oil or propane cost and you get a beautiful fire ambiance.total cost this year was $1590 for 6 tons pellets and about $400 in space heaters electric=$1990.if i used propane would have been about $3500-3800 and oil about the same

Reactions: crizpynutz
Status
Not open for further replies.