Stove pipe damper location?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
image.jpeg
So what would be a good location to install pipe damper on this set up???

Half way up the straight section ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That should do. Place it where it can be comfortably reached without getting burned.

the real question is do you need a damper? most epa stoves dont require one as the air is controlled on the primary intake. it can come in handy if you have a really tall chimney and an exceptional draft but mostly its not needed (IMO)

Didnt need one with my Keyston but when I got the Progress I always needed to shut the air down completely and Woodstock said it may help but 50/50 choice
Have a awesome draft as my pipe about 25 feet high.
Just got damper installed and just having it in seems to allow me a little more air control i.e.: not just closed but have it just not quite closed and getting that good slo burn
Just have the damper turned ever so slightly so I think just the little bit of air flow restriction made a difference

Again could have kept it without but probably will be able to have more control

Status
Not open for further replies.