the best place to purchase a chimmey brush and rods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
I was thinking today that i will be needing to purchase me some cleaning rods and a brush, I have ss chimmey system 6in diameter, what the best brand to buy, I don't want to waste money on a cheap set that will not last, please let me know what brand s you guys use.

I just use Rutland. Get fiberglass rods. It's cheaper to buy at the end of the heating season - sometimes 1/2 off at the big box stores - but still cheaper than a sweep anytime.

believe it or not : amazon.com

Well I've said it before and I've given this company a free plug before so I might as well do so again . . . bought a pretty decent (and inexpensive) brush and rods from www.northlineexpress.com -- good prices, fast delivery, etc.

Picked mine up at either Lowes of HD over the summer. The brush is made by Imperial and the 4' flexible rods were separate (I thought they were pretty expensive). Don't know that it was the best place to buy it or how long they will last, but the job didn't seem to tax the tool and it did its job pretty easily.

Try supporting your local hearth retailer. Maybe show them what you can buy it for from the online stores that are slowly killing the mom and pop brick and mortar stores and they may negotiate the price low enough to where you can buy local. At our shop, we always try to get somewhat close to the big box stores. We want to make sales..we would like to make just enough money to stay in business so we can be here when folks need us.

Looked on Amazon, found a number of choices; including the 8 piece Fantasy Chimney Sweep costume. What type of brush is used for a SS liner? Fiber?

Thanks,

Franks said:
Try supporting your local hearth retailer. Maybe show them what you can buy it for from the online stores that are slowly killing the mom and pop brick and mortar stores and they may negotiate the price low enough to where you can buy local. At our shop, we always try to get somewhat close to the big box stores. We want to make sales..we would like to make just enough money to stay in business so we can be here when folks need us.

Yep good call, I always try to support the local stove shops. One around here gets my business because they treat me well all the time not just when I bought my stove. Negotiating the price is always a good idea, many will give you a little better discount if you just tell them you want to support them and not a local box store but the price is not even close to the big stores. I never expect the same price because I feel the information and experience they give to me is worth difference :)

Franks said:
Try supporting your local hearth retailer. .

i would if they weren't 2* the money for the same exact stuff i can buy at home depot and the info i get here is 100* better than the info they provide

Berone said:
Looked on Amazon, found a number of choices; including the 8 piece Fantasy Chimney Sweep costume. What type of brush is used for a SS liner? Fiber?

Thanks,

poly

my stove came with the brush and rod needed for the HX, I bought a 6" brush from HD for 1/2 price last spring for the chimney.

Make your own rods from 1/2" pvc elect conduit. $0.85 for 10 ft., plus a couple of fittings and you have your rods for about $5. They work great. I got 6" poly brush on Amazon for less than $12.

Status
Not open for further replies.