1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Unable to find the right size oval pipe for my Victor

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by bluegrass burner, Jan 17, 2014.

1. bluegrass burner

bluegrass burner New Member

Loc:
    Louisville, Ky
    Howdy, I just purchased an old Victor "Duchess" wood cook stove with an oval opening for the stove pipe. I figured it was a standard 6" opening and I'd either be able to find the right oval dimensions or bend one to fit. After doing some research online, I found that 6" pipe is 19 1/2 " around, but the collar on my stove is 20". So I guess I have 2 questions here; Can I find the right size anywhere? Also, does the pipe fit over the collar on the stove (what I expect from other wood stove I've ran), or does it fit inside? It seems like if the pipe sat in the collar, smoke and ash wood come out, but in might be easier to put a 19 1/2" pipe in it. The dimensions on the oval are 8 1/4"X3 3/4" and the total length around is 20". Thanks for your help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    it should go on the inside so ash soot fall down into the stove.
    i'd use 6" pipe and if the fit is sloppy add some thin door gasket
    Earth Stove likes this.
  3. Boil&Toil

Boil&Toil Member

Loc:
    SW Vermont
    Inside - and you may get a better fit if you cut the crimp section off. The crimps above should point down on a woodburner, so creosote runs in the pipe, not on the outside.

If the chimney is working, nothing is going to come out - holes in the chimney suck air in. As a common example, stovepipe dampers are not tightly sealed, and they put two holes right through the stovepipe - if smoke comes out those holes, it will be coming out of the stove as well, since the chimney is seriously blocked at that point.

Gasket (flat or round fiberglass rope) if the fit is too sloppy for your taste is an easy fix. You could also get a custom transition knocked up at a sheetmetal shop (might as well be stainless steel.)
    Earth Stove likes this.
  4. bluegrass burner

bluegrass burner New Member

Loc:
    Louisville, Ky
    Thanks for the information, folks! Yeah, I flipped the pipe around so it was going in crimp side first and it slid right in. I just finished putting stove black on it and installing tomorrow.
  5. swestall

swestall Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/danielsway This seller on Ebay will make you a custom pipe to adapt to a standard 6" or other size pipe. He is fair and good, it will also be in stainless. He will tell you how to send him a template so he can make a perfect fit for you.